The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Hardware Controllers for Software Control Surfaces
Old 25th March 2018
Gear Maniac

Hardware Controllers for Software

As a person who has struggled with carpal tunnel and tendinitis, one of my big pluses for analog has been the tactile control, and more specifically to avoid having to use a mouse or trackpad.

However I find many digital tools (plugins) to be invaluable in 2018.

Do any if you use hardware controllers, specifically for plugins like Equillibrium, Pro-MB, Ozone, etc?

Looking for a non click and drag solution. Thanks!
Old 26th March 2018
Lives for gear

Verified Member
I use the discontinued Frontier Alphatrack as a hardware controller for my playback DAW - primarily as a way of controlling the transport (including jumping to locate points), as well as adjusting playback levels without having to change the focus of my KVM from the separate capture DAW that is usually on-screen. Frontier stopped driver updates with WindowsXP but if you use XP compatibility mode when installing the driver I have gotten it to work well in Windows 10. Anyway - it contains 3 other knobs that could be assigned as well towards controlling plugins if your DAW allows midi mapping to these - and has a small footprint with a single fader that allows it to work well with most mastering setups. Frontier Design Group

Best regards,
Steve Berson
Old 26th March 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxtone View Post
As a person who has struggled with carpal tunnel and tendinitis
I'm trying tumeric right now, FWIW.
Old 26th March 2018
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kronos147 View Post
I'm trying tumeric right now, FWIW.
Best thing I have found it KT tape, placed over the carpal bones. Works amazingly well, coupled with gentle stretching and trigger point massage.

I may get an avid artist mix to try to map with DMG Equilibrium.
Old 26th March 2018
Here for the gear
Have used the EQ section of a D-command ES to control Equilibrium with good results. The Equilibrium preset "D-Control" seems to be set up for this mapping in terms of having the right number of EQ bands and filters; would be curious how this does on the newer Avid controllers
Old 26th March 2018
Lives for gear

I'm having this exact issue. I bought a used Novation Launchpad Mini and a Korg Nanoknontrol. I've been mapping them to various actions in Reaper. But I really want an actual console that is midi-compliant . . . but not like the Avid or even the Console One. My ideal would a bank of maybe 12 faders, and a whole lot of assignable knobs and buttons on each channel.
Old 27th March 2018
Gear Guru

Verified Member
This works well with most software: Contour Design ShuttlePRO v2 - NLE Multimedia Controller More info here:ShuttlePRO v2 – Contour Design
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search