The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
If you use the Weiss DS1- Mk 3, does that mean no MM1?
Old 20th March 2018
If you use the Weiss DS1- Mk 3, does that mean no MM1?

I just notice something about the MM1. They say the following information about the plug in.

The same algorithm is also employed in Softube’s new Mastering Maximizer plug-in, a simplified version of the Weiss DS1-MK3, costing only $199.

Ok so if it is a simplified version does this mean if you use you should not use the MM1 if you already used the DS1 Mk 3 on a 2 bus. The reasoning is you would just be adding another DS1 Mk3 but just simplified version on the mix? Or if your using the DS1 Mk3, make sure you keep the MM1 on transparent, use the ITunes setting and just use the limiter control to make it louder? What am I missing here? I originally thought it was just a maximzer which the DS1 is not.
Old 20th March 2018
Lives for gear

3 minutes tweaking the ds1 kills every mm1 preset
Old 20th March 2018
Deleted User
I've used the MM1 as a final limiter a few times already, even though I bought DS1. I was just using the limiter on it though, it felt easier just to grab MM1 and turn the limiter knob up instead of loading the complete DS1.

Everything that you can do with MM1 you can also do with DS1. The maximiser part of the MM1 is basically a DS1 running a set of presets to achieve the desired outcome (loudness, punch, transparency, widening...). My guess is most of us ME will prefer to have full control of those type of processing and they won't use MM1 much.
Old 20th March 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by miguelmarques View Post
I've used the MM1 as a final limiter a few times already, even though I bought DS1. I was just using the limiter on it though, it felt easier just to grab MM1 and turn the limiter knob up instead of loading the complete DS1.

Everything that you can do with MM1 you can also do with DS1. The maximiser part of the MM1 is basically a DS1 running a set of presets to achieve the desired outcome (loudness, punch, transparency, widening...). My guess is most of us ME will prefer to have full control of those type of processing and they won't use MM1 much.
Will you then use the DS1 as a Maximzer as well or just use the DS1 as a compressor and the MM1 as a maximizer only?
Old 20th March 2018
Gear Addict

I don't use mm1 at all... Much prefer the control of the ds1
Old 20th March 2018
Gear Nut

Ds1 has huge latency, in a mixing situation I can see myself using the mm1 for deessing or quick maximising of specific sounds.
For mastering, i agree, the ds1 will beat it.
Old 20th March 2018
Deleted User
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason rocks View Post
Will you then use the DS1 as a Maximzer as well or just use the DS1 as a compressor and the MM1 as a maximizer only?
So far it has only worked as a limiter only, a couple of times. Again, most of the times you will achieve better results with the full featured DS1 if you're doing mastering.
Old 22nd March 2018
I use the DS1- Mk3 for mastering and like others have said, the extra controls are really helpful. I use the MM1 only as a maximizer like an L2 or UAD Maximzer. I and my clients like the results.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search