The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Baking Tapes ... safely
Old 22nd April 2007
Baking Tapes ... safely

I have a remastering project that involves sticky tapes. Instead of stopping the tape every minute to clean the heads, i think it's best to bake the thing.

Never did that before, but i kinda know the rules (several hours at 120 degrees Fahrenheit, preferably in a convection oven and equal cool down time).

Since a gas oven becomes too hot, it has to be an electric one.
BUT electric heating involves a spiral or coil right? - see where i'm getting at?

So my question is: Should i pack the tape in aluminum foil to protect it from electromagnetic influence of the oven's heat element?

Thanks,
Peter
Old 22nd April 2007
Old 22nd April 2007
Lives for gear

Verified Member
I would recommend using a convection oven. Costs about $200 and after you're done with the tapes makes a nice meatloaf.
Old 22nd April 2007
Thanks for the tips guys.
I will see if i can get hold of that food-dehydrator.
It's claimed to have no electromagnetic disturbance.

Looks like an elegant and safe solution indeed!
thumbsup

Peter
Old 22nd April 2007

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by finetuner View Post
So my question is: Should i pack the tape in aluminum foil to protect it from electromagnetic influence of the oven's heat element?
The tape needs to breathe and release moisture. I do find the aluminum foil useful to wrap my head at night to keep the alien waves out though.
Old 22nd April 2007
Lives for gear

if it helps. here is an interesting article.

he has successully baked several tapes for me.

Analog Tape Restoration: If I knew you were coming I'd Have Baked a Tape
Old 25th April 2007
Gear Nut

Food dehydrator

I have used the food dehydrator mentioned on that "If I knew you were coming" site (the Snackmaster Pro) to bake a fair number of old tapes and it has worked well for me. It's really pretty convenient to use.
Old 25th April 2007
Lives for gear

Verified Member
I used to use a dehydrator - Great piece, wish I could remember the name...

Stackable, round "shelves" - Could bake 5 at a time. Took a little extra time, but not hot enough to cause damage if you left it on for way too long. I left a particularly troublesome tape in for several days once as an experiment - No problem (although I wouldn't necessarily recommend it).
Old 25th April 2007
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Sutton View Post
The tape needs to breathe and release moisture. I do find the aluminum foil useful to wrap my head at night to keep the alien waves out though.
Contrary to popular belief Aluminum foil does nothing to stop magnetic fields.....

Have baked many tapes in the Farberware oven, be sure to let them cool off completely before use.

130F seems to work, (not 200!) and you need a cheap digital thermometer to set the temp accurately.

DC
Old 25th April 2007
Lives for gear

I use a big home brew silkscreen drying cabinet that we built out of a huge 24" equipment rack. Our in-house "jack of all trades" retrofitted it with insulation, shelves, a plexi door and rails for the CD/DVD silks.

It has a bathroom heater in the top and a tanning light and fan in the bottom (weird, I know) - big outdoor thermometer in the back that goes to 120F and timers for the heat sources and fan.

I try not to bake tapes when they are drying screens. I just try to keep 'em hot for as many hours as is practical and run 'em more, if they stick or shed - like DC said, cool to room temp. before playing.

- done hundreds of tapes like this.
Old 25th April 2007
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by MASSIVE Master View Post
I used to use a dehydrator - Great piece, wish I could remember the name...

Stackable, round "shelves" - Could bake 5 at a time. Took a little extra time, but not hot enough to cause damage if you left it on for way too long. I left a particularly troublesome tape in for several days once as an experiment - No problem (although I wouldn't necessarily recommend it).
American Harvest. Looking at the think you'd swear it was purpose built for 10" reels.

130 degrees for 8 hours is the standard recipe here.

Greg Reierson
Rare From Mastering
Old 25th April 2007

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcollins View Post
Contrary to popular belief Aluminum foil does nothing to stop magnetic fields.....
Well. all those years and all that tinfoil. such a waste. maybe I better get a mu metal hat.
Old 25th April 2007
Thanks for all your WARM responses!

I just ordered this dehydrater:

It's made by Swiss company Stockli.
Couldn't find a Nesco / American Harvest here in the Nehterlands. This one's a bit pricier but it's got a temp control, runs on 230V and i found a local store offering discount .

You're all invited for a nice "Ampex du Jour" soon.
Peter.
Old 27th April 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Reierson View Post
American Harvest. Looking at the think you'd swear it was purpose built for 10" reels.

130 degrees for 8 hours is the standard recipe here.

Greg Reierson
Rare From Mastering
We have a tape baking in the Nesco/American Harvest as we speak.
Has worked everytime so far. 8 hours flip every hour. We love Eddie Ciletti.

Peace, Todd
Old 27th April 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcollins View Post

Have baked many tapes in the Farberware oven, be sure to let them cool off completely before use.

130F seems to work, (not 200!) and you need a cheap digital thermometer to set the temp accurately.

DC
I use an expensive analog thermometer (couldn't resist!) and the Excaliber dehydrator. Put a small hole in the side and poke the probe end of the thermometer right in the between the reels.

Lou

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search