The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
What are your 2 favorite clean EQ? Equalisers (HW)
Old 12th March 2018
Lives for gear

What are your 2 favorite clean EQ?

I think choosing one can be a challenge as there are different EQs for different purposes.

1. For a clean EQ to just adjust things and not change the overall sound of a mix, I prefer the Cranesong Ibis.

2. For enhancing and giving a sparkle to a mix the Avalon 2055 is it for me.
Old 12th March 2018
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Weiss EQ1 MKII is my go to equalizer for uncolored sound shaping. FWIW

Last edited by Thomas W. Bethe; 14th March 2018 at 09:04 PM..
Old 12th March 2018
Gear Maniac

In software, a good linear phase design (check DMG Audio, Acon Digital, Refined Audiometrics..anyone know what happened to them?) with long impulse length can be very neutral sounding. Especially for mid to high frequency adjustments.

In hardware a good implementation of the Porter NetEQ design should also do the trick. I've been using the Thermos by Handcrafted Labs and it's really good for general adjustments without adding too much of its own character. With the transformers in, it sounds just slightly sweet but overall neutral enough to be used on anything.

For clean with a slightly organic and enhancing vibe, my Buzz Audio REQ still impresses me every time I turn it on. Mine has been modified but I believe the standard mastering version should also be great.
Old 12th March 2018
Lives for gear

1. Knif Eksa
2. Knif Eksa
Old 12th March 2018
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by teebaum View Post
1. Knif Eksa
2. Knif Eksa
I still really want one of these. I'm not sure if it makes sense having alongside a good Porter NetEQ. As a luxurious replacement though someday....
Old 12th March 2018
Quote:
1. Knif Eksa
2. Knif Eksa
Also, a Knif Eksa :-)
Old 12th March 2018
Lives for gear

Thermos and DMG Equilibrium work for me. Michelangelo for the other stuff.
Old 12th March 2018
Gear Maniac

Gml 9500
Old 13th March 2018
Gear Head
1. SPL PQ
2. Knif Eksa

Or vice versa, depends on the music. The PQ sounds a bit more colorful and slightly `bigger`, can bring out details very nicely. The Eksa more neutral and true to the source, with less of an obvious sonic footprint, can be a bit "boring" on the wrong material but is a very very fine correction tool with good ergonomics..

Refined Audiometrics - I don´t know if this company is still in business. PLParEQ was one of the best plugin EQ´s back in the days. And maybe it´s still good today? I have a 32 bit version somewhere but haven´t used it fo a long time. Does anybody know if there a 64 bit version of the PLParEQ?
Old 13th March 2018
Lives for gear

Avelon 2055 is clean, maybe not transparent.

Knif Soma is transparent but maybe not clean. Really would like to try the Eksa.

Equilibrium does the real clean stuff.
Old 13th March 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by B Elgin View Post
I still really want one of these. I'm not sure if it makes sense having alongside a good Porter NetEQ. As a luxurious replacement though someday....
i once built a net-eq by myself (together with sampa) and i heared the oakfield with many different opamps. the eksa is a 'other kind of neutral', fet instead of ic, finer grain, slicker, silkier, but also a bit tighter pronounced. not as unforgiving as a gml, clean but still 'organic'. i love the user interface and he's my most used eq, very often in combination with soma, michelangelo and/or tubetech hlt2am.

he won against many other 'clean eq's' - the 'clean one' is maybe the most difficult eq to find.
Old 14th March 2018
Gear Nut

1 Weiss EQ1 MKII
2 Sontec 430b/432c
Old 14th March 2018
Gear Addict

What does clean mean to people?

I think clean = neutral

as the absence of any color/shift/tone

the Sontec in that world isn't clean to me .. it's not heavy handed or overtly colored . . . but not surgical or neutral sounding. Far from clinical

Digital tools do clean real well ... Equilibrium for instance. it sounds clean. Well defined edges, predictable behavior without surprising interactions with the rest of the chain.. IMO no mojo or magic, just 'clean' gain or phase shift where I put it and no where else

to me that is Clean.

the Michelangelo I don't feel is at all clean... which is exactly why I enjoy it. it's a harmonics beast, that's the whole point
Old 14th March 2018
Lives for gear

hardware: millenia NSEQ 2 (in solid state mode) mastering version (not FF moded)
software: DMG Equlibrium (In minimum phase FIR mode)
Old 14th March 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by loji View Post
What does clean mean to people?
To me clean means I don't need to eq just to overcome the sound of the eq.

My current favourites are the Weiss EQ1 MK2, because it can do almost anything without leaving a signature; and the DAV BG3, because the simple interface leads to excellent results very quickly.
Old 14th March 2018
Lives for gear

With digital eqs, anyone using settings that let you go from phase to linear phase ? seems like it could be the most transparent, setting it where preringing is not a problem if it's possible.

about favorite , i never used a clean mastering grade hardware analog eq but with plugins the Sir audio Eq is good to me and i need to try the Aom eq.
Old 15th March 2018
Lives for gear

DMG and IBIS for me.

And #3 would go to the BAX.
Old 15th March 2018
Quote:
i once built a net-eq by myself (together with sampa) and i heared the oakfield with many different opamps. the eksa is a 'other kind of neutral', fet instead of ic, finer grain, slicker, silkier, but also a bit tighter pronounced. not as unforgiving as a gml, clean but still 'organic'. i love the user interface and he's my most used eq, very often in combination with soma, michelangelo and/or tubetech hlt2am.

he won against many other 'clean eq's' - the 'clean one' is maybe the most difficult eq to find.
I know you and I aren't shy about heaping on the Eksa's praises - But I honestly think it's the best sounding eq i've ever heard. I'm still not as fast (from my first instinct to a final eq move) as I am on a soma or sontec, and probably won't ever be, but holy crap the sound!
Old 15th March 2018
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by mastermat View Post
hardware: millenia NSEQ 2 (in solid state mode) mastering version (not FF moded)
software: DMG Equlibrium (In minimum phase FIR mode)
Millennia NSEQ-2 (solid state, Forssell modified) would be amongst my top favs for hardware. Not sure if the software version captures its phase response, which is where the magic is.
Old 15th March 2018
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Roger Schult and Newfangled Audio.
Old 15th March 2018
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Dempsey View Post
Millennia NSEQ-2 (solid state, Forssell modified) would be amongst my top favs for hardware.
Waiting for a clean Forssell EQ since years.
Will he ever release his own clean EQ?
Old 15th March 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Millennia NSEQ-2 (solid state, Forssell modified) would be amongst my top favs for hardware. Not sure if the software version captures its phase response, which is where the magic is.
I can second that. I tried the software but its not even close!!!
thinking about the forsell modification, but since Im really happy with the way it is and how it works with the rest of my chain, I feel no rush.
the millenia was my first analog EQ and it´s here to stay
Old 15th March 2018
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:
it IS a Magical EQ

as well as the Sontc 432!

clean/dirty/whatever...

they’re both Sooo musical.

best, jt
Old 16th March 2018
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by mirochandler View Post
Waiting for a clean Forssell EQ since years.
Will he ever release his own clean EQ?
You know that Fred designed the EQ in the Grace M103 right? It is a very nice sounding eq. Extremely open, clean and musical. The mids are insanely nice. I have two of them.
Old 17th March 2018
Lives for gear

Verified Member
DMG EQuilibrium and TDR Slick EQ M here, both great and clean. I see no need for a "clean" hardware EQ.
Old 17th March 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermetech Mastering View Post
DMG EQuilibrium and TDR Slick EQ M here, both great and clean. I see no need for a "clean" hardware EQ.
the slick-eq has IMHO something rough/grey that i can hardly understand, but i noticed it again and again - that's why he, despite wonderful functionality and good GUI, unfortunately had to leave my toolbox.
it is actually very difficult to find a clean hardware eq that is really justifiable along with some really great digital eq's.
that's why I had the longest search for the "clean hardware-eq" and I wondered if it might have become obsolete these days.
since I have the eksa, I really appreciate "analog-clean" and don't want to have to do without it in everyday life anymore.
Old 17th March 2018
Gear Maniac

The TK Audio TK-Lizer takes care of the clean analog EQing for me, other then that I would just use FF Q2 is I need superclean EQing done.
Old 17th March 2018
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:
the slick-eq has IMHO something rough/grey that i can hardly understand, but i noticed it again and again - that's why he, despite wonderful functionality and good GUI, unfortunately had to leave my toolbox.
I think SlickEQ M sounds better at 96 than 44.1, but I just recently heard someone else say exactly the opposite.
Old 17th March 2018
Motown legend

Verified Member
Quote:
I think SlickEQ M sounds better at 96 than 44.1, but I just recently heard someone else say exactly the opposite.
Interesting!
Old 17th March 2018
Gear Guru

Quote:
For every piece of audio gear I own, I know at least one sound source that'll make it sound like crap.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search