The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
What are your 2 favorite clean EQ? Equalisers (HW)
Old 17th March 2018
Motown legend

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Hahn View Post
For every piece of audio gear I own, I know at least one sound source that'll make it sound like crap.
The same is even more true of plug-ins.
Old 17th March 2018
Lives for gear

Verified Member
"Clean" seems to be the next "color" (which is really great, I would love to finally use better clean sounding tools in mastering). It still seems to be the hardest challenge for all developers, in both digital and analog.
I think both, plug in and analog gear developers still have to improve their methods, but I really can see high potential for really clean processing in digital audio. But it still needs time, it seems.

Last edited by JP__; 17th March 2018 at 07:48 PM..
Old 17th March 2018
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Elysia MusEQ, Bettermaker Mk2
Old 17th March 2018
Lives for gear

Verified Member
I still have never found an eq plug in that I really like better than hardware. They always seem to diminish the sound one way or another.
Old 18th March 2018
Lives for gear

Avalon eq from focusrite liquid mix
Old 18th March 2018
Gear Nut

SW: Coral from acustica audio. Unobtrusive but not boring.
Old 18th March 2018
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by TS-12 View Post
Avalon eq from focusrite liquid mix
Ooh man i really miss that box.. and yes, this is a good one in there.
Unfortunately too many downsides with fw, 32bit.
Old 19th March 2018
Home built and the Meyer CP-10 modified direct coupled. I also change the cut only shelf bands to symetrical + - 15db shelf EQ for a 7 band EQ. Noise is - 120 db at 100 hz with that design. Many mastering rooms and control rooms use those worldwide.
Old 21st March 2018
1. Avalon 2055 when you want to add a sparkle and polish.

2. Dangerous BAX EQ when you need gentle adjustments in the low and high end.

3. Cranesong Ibis when you need to correct something or want a little enhancement without changing the sound of the mix.
Old 21st March 2018
Lives for gear

i was checking newfangled website the eq look intresting :

"Combining this with a linear-phase filter shape that reduces pre-echo makes EQuivocate an EQ with a difference you can hear."

what does it mean exaclty? a shape with large Q ? or something in between a linear phase and phase eq

personnaly i think for the most transparent sound maybe each bands of a digital eqs should have a control on the phase shift , i have to experiment more with these eqs, i used them mostly in the past for highpassing the low end to the point pre ringing is alsmot not a problem, but still less phase shift give less overshout and a more transparent sound than usuall phase eq, cause of less delay introdouced resulting in a tighter sound
Old 21st March 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred_Abstract View Post
i was checking newfangled website the eq look intresting :

"Combining this with a linear-phase filter shape that reduces pre-echo makes EQuivocate an EQ with a difference you can hear."

what does it mean exaclty? a shape with large Q ? or something in between a linear phase and phase eq

personnaly i think for the most transparent sound maybe each bands of a digital eqs should have a control on the phase shift , i have to experiment more with these eqs, i used them mostly in the past for highpassing the low end to the point pre ringing is alsmot not a problem, but still less phase shift give less overshout and a more transparent sound than usuall phase eq, cause of less delay introdouced resulting in a tighter sound
i gave a try to the newflanged eq and i don't know if it's the sound of the eq or the workflow but it leads me to good results.
also the Aom eq, A mode , same i don't know really if it's the workflow, "luck " of the moment, or the sound but i enjoyed it, the C mode is the usual RBJ's audio cookbook EQ ( i think run at 5x oversampling in max quality so the phase and warping should be ok ) but type A sound definetly more musical in my test ,bringing more emotions , no idea if it s cause of the different filters type or if a slight different curve is happening .
Old 23rd March 2018
Lives for gear

Original Focusrite ISA 110 (from 1987) and, of course, GML.
Old 23rd March 2018
in the clean eq section, i had previously, GML 9500, IBIS M, Blue 315 heavily modified, HSE eq (ex studer engineers), Millenia NSQ2FF,
Eksa stands above
Old 23rd March 2018
Gear Nut

I received Eksa last week... clean is somewhat of an understatement... you can take sound and clean it up... or you can apply heat and pressure until it becomes a diamond... Eksa is more like a diamond-harvesting EQ. it makes things sound cleaner then i previously thought was the threshold of how clean something processed with analog gear or plug ins could sound. it's punchier then the punchiest VCA compressor. high shelf revealing details in a way that seems "better than i deserve" somehow. i replaced a DAV BG3 with it... loved the DAV but it is not even a remotely fair comparison.

runner up is voxengo gliss EQ, i feel like i've relied on this for a long time, i rarely use de-essers, i usually reach for this plug first. not as soft sounding as nova, and i love how you have the "inverted" dynamics response option. though i very often use it as a regular static parametric.

the tight Q values on the Eksa, however, are MUCH cleaner then on any digital EQ i've used. this is a big deal to me. with Knif Eksa, you get what you pay for.
Old 23rd March 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogoftears View Post
I received Eksa last week... clean is somewhat of an understatement... you can take sound and clean it up... or you can apply heat and pressure until it becomes a diamond... Eksa is more like a diamond-harvesting EQ. it makes things sound cleaner then i previously thought was the threshold of how clean something processed with analog gear or plug ins could sound. it's punchier then the punchiest VCA compressor. high shelf revealing details in a way that seems "better than i deserve" somehow. i replaced a DAV BG3 with it... loved the DAV but it is not even a remotely fair comparison.

runner up is voxengo gliss EQ, i feel like i've relied on this for a long time, i rarely use de-essers, i usually reach for this plug first. not as soft sounding as nova, and i love how you have the "inverted" dynamics response option. though i very often use it as a regular static parametric.

the tight Q values on the Eksa, however, are MUCH cleaner then on any digital EQ i've used. this is a big deal to me. with Knif Eksa, you get what you pay for.
or like jonte posted on fb:

Nice feedback from a happy Eksa customer:

"Damn. This is really good. I don’t even know what to say. Honestly it reminds me of really good LSD. I know that’s an odd analogy but it practically gives me flashbacks. I just can’t believe the amount of detail I pulled out of this master, and how fast and punchy it all sounds. I used all 10 bands in mid/side and it’s clean as a whistle. I A/B’d it with my old master and my old master sounds like dog**** that sat in the rain now."
Old 23rd March 2018
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by teebaum View Post
or like jonte posted on fb:

Nice feedback from a happy Eksa customer:

"Damn. This is really good. I don’t even know what to say. Honestly it reminds me of really good LSD. I know that’s an odd analogy but it practically gives me flashbacks. I just can’t believe the amount of detail I pulled out of this master, and how fast and punchy it all sounds. I used all 10 bands in mid/side and it’s clean as a whistle. I A/B’d it with my old master and my old master sounds like dog**** that sat in the rain now."

oh, he put it on his FB yay
that's my testimonial!
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search