The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
vinyl mastering what to take care of?
Old 25th February 2004
Gear maniac

vinyl mastering what to take care of?

hello
i know you cant say it in generall but what to take care of
if you want to master for vinyl?
i know you have to cut out around 20hz and between 18-20khz.
you have to take care of phase(in the bass) and i know it has to have more highs than a cd master.but how much more highs?
i dont do this as a master engineer-just curious.
any expierience?

i was participating vinyl mastering a couple of times but dont remember details. it is a minimal house track with lots of clicks and cuts.

thanx
Old 25th February 2004
Gear nut

vinyl mastering

For the most part, what you do is master for CD and the dude on the cutting machine will take care of the rest. Yes, loads of phasing bass could potentially be a problem because it can jar the needle out of the record. What you do to prevent this is have the record cut loud by spacing the grooves farther away. So, the thing to take into account is how long the track is. Try not to put more than one track per side.
Old 12th August 2011
Gear nut

do your job with the best taste and choose a good cutting room to work with , if possible send the files in 24 / 96 or , ever best ,tape

I cut records since 12 years now , and I realy prefer receiving HD files , or CD masters than files without stereo in the bass or high frequencies cutted ... Vinyl records is not a poor sounding medium ... so better if do not cut anything
Old 12th August 2011
Gear nut

Verified Member
Make it sound good and send it off. Don't mangle your mix by trying to guess what things you should do make it transfer well. Since it's only one song maybe you can convince the cutting engineer / studio you're using to give it a quick listen before you submit it for cutting. It should only take them a few seconds to figure out if anything is problematic.
Old 12th August 2011
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Better not to hard limit but especially not to clip.
Old 12th August 2011
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by gem View Post
i know you have to cut out around 20hz and between 18-20khz. you have to take care of phase(in the bass) and i know it has to have more highs than a cd master.but how much more highs?
You should give the cutting guy a mix that sounds exactly how you want the vinyl to sound. Don't boost or cut things because you've read you're supposed to. Making it work on vinyl is his expertise, not yours. A good engineer will do what needs to be done - no more and no less - and make it sound right.

GR
Old 13th August 2011
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by huejahfink View Post
Better not to hard limit but especially not to clip.
Surprised no one has mentioned that!

If an EP is going for vinyl, I watch for excessive brightness, strange phase issues, and back off the limiting for the 24 bit bounce.

Then again you are really at the mercy of the cutting engineer.
Old 13th August 2011
Lives for gear

is this master or PRE master? somebody needs to put in the RIAA eq. you expect the cutter to do this? or does he expect a fully mastered submission?
Old 13th August 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldeanalogueguy View Post
is this master or PRE master? somebody needs to put in the RIAA eq. you expect the cutter to do this? or does he expect a fully mastered submission?
Any proper cutting room has the RIAA built into the cutting system as well as the HP/LP settings needed for the cut.

Just watch the limiter push as suggested above.
Old 13th August 2011
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Make your record sound the way you want it to. DON'T make it silly loud as you would for a cd. The cutter will only have to turn it down and you have a squashed weak sounding distorted record. Loud cd does not equal a loud cut.

The mastering engineer will do the rest. Attend if you can as it's fun.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search