The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Goodhertz CanOpener Studio v3
Old 30th December 2018
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by denork View Post
It must go before sonarworks.
Why it must be before? I notice most people adjust the bass in CanOpener around -1 dB. If we place it before, it is gonna affect the EQ curve of SW 4, no?
Old 30th December 2018
Lives for gear

It makes no sense to put SonarWorks after CanOpener.

You have to correct your headphones first, before messing with the stereo field.

That is the obvious logical chain.
Old 30th December 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macaroni View Post
It makes no sense to put SonarWorks after CanOpener. You have to correct your headphones first, before messing with the stereo field. That is the obvious logical chain.
Out of a curiosity, I ran a null test with them in swapped positions, which showed signal at -160dBFS.

Can you perceive an audible difference when you reverse the order?

Last edited by Shawn Hatfield; 30th December 2018 at 10:52 PM.. Reason: grammar
Old 31st December 2018
Gear Addict

I hear a différence when i reverse the order. When CanOpener is placed before, the stereo image seems a bit narrower compared to after SW 4.

Also i remember someone said if you got an individual calibration headphone, CanOpener MUST be placed before. But i still dont get the logic : (
Old 31st December 2018
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirito View Post
I hear a différence when i reverse the order. When CanOpener is placed before, the stereo image seems a bit narrower compared to after SW 4.

Also i remember someone said if you got an individual calibration headphone, CanOpener MUST be placed before. But i still dont get the logic : (
The reason is that the correction that SW does is per-channel (e.g., left adjustment != right adjustment).

CanOpener screws with the L and R presentation by mixing them.

If you put CanOpener after correction, you'll mix the corrective EQ for the left into the right and vice versa, which kind of defeats the purpose.

CanOpener goes before SW if you're using both.
Old 3rd January 2019
Gear Addict

I talked with Sonarworks ;

" you're using individual calibration, but still it theory it shouldn't matter either. The individual calibration will correct each channel individually to balance things out, then cross feed will do is job to each channel equally. If cross feed is before SW, then SW will adjust the balance even after canopener. I'm not exactly sure if i'm missing something at this point - you might want to do some experimenting with both settings.

Let me know how you're getting on, thanks!"
Old 10th May 2019
Gear Maniac

Hey CanOpener users,

We're working on an update to CanOpener that will add a couple new features and address some common issues that people encountered.

If you're interested in helping beta test, we'd love to have your input. Just send us an email with "CanOpener Beta" in the subject: https://goodhertz.co/contact
Old 12th May 2019
Gear Addict

Very excited !

Your plugin became a must for me.. i cannot even listen to music without
Old 13th May 2019
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirito View Post
Very excited !

Your plugin became a must for me.. i cannot even listen to music without
Awesome!

Thanks everyone who signed up to beta test!
Old 1 week ago
Deleted e71ab78
Quote:
Originally Posted by devinkerr View Post
Awesome!

Thanks everyone who signed up to beta test!
Hi Devin,

I emailed but never heard back, is the beta still open?

Any new Goodhertz things on the way?
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eklo View Post
Hi Devin,

I, too, signed up immediately, but never heard back.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eklo View Post
Hi Devin,

We're planning to send it out later this week to everyone who signed up. Just putting some finishing touches on the DSP now.

Thanks for all the responses!
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear
Hey Devin, any need to sign again or are your loyal good ol' testers already included ?
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

Yeah, I would love to beta test.
I use CO3 in every project.

Last edited by abluesky; 1 week ago at 03:43 PM.. Reason: Grammar police
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by abluesky View Post
Yeah, I would love to beta test.
I use CO3 in every project.
Could you PM me or send us an email to make sure we include you?
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by nil hartman View Post
Hey Devin, any need to sign again or are your loyal good ol' testers already included ?
We're starting with a small set of testers — I just added you though.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

I sent my first initial report directly to Support.

First impression ... and critically important ... the improvement in Sound.

Now onto the added features ....
Old 6 days ago
Gear Addict

improvement in sound what did you notice ?
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

Well ... I've kinda change my mind after some serious A/B comparisons.

I sent a couple of emails to Support on this.

I'm finding that previous settings used in the current release are not matching to the beta. There may be good reason for that ... but I'm waiting for reply.

For one of my test source tracks, I'm using 'Let's Groove Tonite', by Earth, Wind and Fire. This is a punchy, dynamic, yet sparse track with important subtle details.
It is also something I'm quite familiar with from back in the '70s.

My usually settings [although slightly hyped for the Headphones] translate very well to my Mastering monitors.

With the beta ... something sounds more laid back in the center part of the track [snare drum in this case], whereas the current release still with the subtlety still
maintains a solid sound in that center.

Maybe there are other settings that need to be transposed to the beta ... I've sent both Presets to Support.

Waiting to hear back.

Right now I stay on the current release.
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJHollins View Post
Well ... I've kinda change my mind after some serious A/B comparisons.

I sent a couple of emails to Support on this.

I'm finding that previous settings used in the current release are not matching to the beta. There may be good reason for that ... but I'm waiting for reply.

For one of my test source tracks, I'm using 'Let's Groove Tonite', by Earth, Wind and Fire. This is a punchy, dynamic, yet sparse track with important subtle details.
It is also something I'm quite familiar with from back in the '70s.

My usually settings [although slightly hyped for the Headphones] translate very well to my Mastering monitors.

With the beta ... something sounds more laid back in the center part of the track [snare drum in this case], whereas the current release still with the subtlety still
maintains a solid sound in that center.

Maybe there are other settings that need to be transposed to the beta ... I've sent both Presets to Support.

Waiting to hear back.

Right now I stay on the current release.
Interesting. The center is very different but I chalked that up to the change in low end. 2k and updated is SO different that it’s hard to say what’s what. I’ll have to do more a/b testing.
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

Be sure to Unity Gain stage the outputs of both versions.

Also ... Support tells me that beta is slightly lower Output ... so they need to be balance to do this critical A/B'ing.
Old 5 days ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Be sure to Unity Gain stage the outputs of both versions.

Also ... Support tells me that beta is slightly lower Output ... so they need to be balance to do this critical A/B'ing.
As RJHollins said, the new version is about 1.5 dB quieter for crossfeed amounts of 100-150% so be careful to match your loudness when A/B’ing.

They’re not quite as different as you might think if you account for the flatter bass and smoother high end in Hyperrealistic mode. Basically, it should sound like the original CanOpener algorithm but with slightly more clarity and definition.
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by devinkerr View Post
slightly more clarity and definition.

Slightly more clarity is VERY modest. This is a full grade better in the clarity and definition department.
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Looking forward to it! Can't listen to my HD600s without Can Opener since I got it
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

What's the ETA for the new version?
Old 5 days ago
Gear Addict

Very excited to hear that ! ( Hope it will still be compatible with Yosemite x) )
Old 5 days ago
Gear Maniac

So, I know that you’re not supposed to render with CO3, but I just rendered two short loops to A/B and without a doubt I prefer mix with CO3.

BTW, if more beta testers are needed, please let me know. I produce and mix everything using headphones, and use it on every project.
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

Continued beta-testing ...

Starting to lock in to what may well be the 'new' Reference Phone settings.

1. ok, the Hyper-Realistic is working very well
2. the Default settings for AMT and ANGLE are also good.

3. with the spectrum correction following CO, I've adjusted the BASS to -1dB [confirming with the MONO].

I'm not really sure what 'SAFE GAIN' is about. Really just dropping the overall volume with it in
DITHER is OFF. again, not clear why I would want it ON [unless CO is lowering the Bit-Depth]. Is it ? Well just tested that ...

Yes, adding CO takes Bit-Depth to 32-bit. Turn Dither ON drops to 24-bit. ok ... good to know.

With that, no issues encountered.

Major improvement in Sound with this beta version !! Sounds very natural. Essential plugin for sure.
Old 3 days ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Continued beta-testing ...

Starting to lock in to what may well be the 'new' Reference Phone settings.

1. ok, the Hyper-Realistic is working very well
2. the Default settings for AMT and ANGLE are also good.

3. with the spectrum correction following CO, I've adjusted the BASS to -1dB [confirming with the MONO].

I'm not really sure what 'SAFE GAIN' is about. Really just dropping the overall volume with it in
DITHER is OFF. again, not clear why I would want it ON [unless CO is lowering the Bit-Depth]. Is it ? Well just tested that ...

Yes, adding CO takes Bit-Depth to 32-bit. Turn Dither ON drops to 24-bit. ok ... good to know.

With that, no issues encountered.

Major improvement in Sound with this beta version !! Sounds very natural. Essential plugin for sure.
Glad to hear you’re liking it!

Yes, Safe Gain is just dropping the master volume enough to guarantee that the signal never goes above 0.0 dBFS. If you don’t have issues with clipping/overs then no need to use it.

The reason for dithering the output is this: CanOpener uses 64-bit double precision internally and is often output to a 24 bit DAC, thus dithering down to 24-bit will increase the fidelity a bit when the signal is truncated. If you’re doing any processing AFTER CanOpener, then you’d probably want to leave the dither off.
Old 3 days ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by abluesky View Post
So, I know that you’re not supposed to render with CO3, but I just rendered two short loops to A/B and without a doubt I prefer mix with CO3.

BTW, if more beta testers are needed, please let me know. I produce and mix everything using headphones, and use it on every project.
"Supposed to" is definitely in the eye of the beholder; so if it sounds good to you, it is good!

Maybe just double check that it sounds better on speakers as well, as it might be sort of doubly crossfed in that case. You could also check out our Midside plugin, which can do some similar things (e.g. control the stereo field, make sure the bass isn't too wide) but is more geared toward being printed on a mix.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search