The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Goodhertz CanOpener Studio v3 Studio Headphones
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirito View Post
I'm trying 150 % crossfeed with the Sennheiser HD 650... It's interesting i was always working with 100%. The stereo image feel wider of course, all elements are more audible. I'm just worried i'll be fooled during mixing
If you've been happy at 100%, I'd stay there. It's what I use for mixing/mastering with HD 600/650's. 150% is more true-to-life, but that doesn't always translate to better mixes, and I usually prefer to be able to hear into the stereo image a little more when mixing.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by devinkerr View Post
One reason to try using 45º is that you can create the feeling of a narrower image while using less crossfeed. So 100%/45º is often a nice pairing, while with 150%, I'd usually use 60º. Hope that helps!
Thanks for your replies Devin, these are really helpful and make it a bit clearer that it's really down to taste. I quite like that 150% really puts everything forward and narrows the stereo image, logic tells me it might make me work a bit more to spread things in the stereo field and subtle fx be more audible on more systems which is where canopener has helped so far, amongst lots of other things! Will experiment over my next few tracks and see what works. Thanks again!
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by devinkerr View Post
If you've been happy at 100%, I'd stay there. It's what I use for mixing/mastering with HD 600/650's. 150% is more true-to-life, but that doesn't always translate to better mixes, and I usually prefer to be able to hear into the stereo image a little more when mixing.
Hi,

Can you recommend any crossfeed, angle and eq settings for the focal clear headphones?

Thanks
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Can Can Opener Studio work magic with these?

Jays - Jays a-JAYS One tangle-free earphones (audio only)

???

I’m demoing the goodhertz line with particular attention to Can Opener. Those are the headphones I carry on the road.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by abluesky View Post
Can Can Opener Studio work magic with these?

Jays - Jays a-JAYS One tangle-free earphones (audio only)

???

I’m demoing the goodhertz line with particular attention to Can Opener. Those are the headphones I carry on the road.
I have been using CanOpener for years. I don't believe in magic, but, as far as I know, CanOpener works with any headphones. It is a crossfeed simulator, and I use it with multiple different sets of headphones, and a set of in-ear monitors, and I use it practically every day. Hope that helps.

-TKB
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Nut

Does anyone know if there are plans for a standalone version? It would be interesting since this is how I get used to it, it is not very logical to listen to music without applying the plugin and use it only within the DAW
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Nut

And what recommendation of adjustments would you make with a Beyerdynamic 990 pro?
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Nut

I've been testing this, just applying it to projects that have already been mixed, but I still do not understand why I should use it.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Nut

I just want to second (or third, or whatever) the request to bring back the CanOpener iOS app. I do a huge amount of listening on my iPhone, and relied on CanOpener for several years. I was very disappointed when it stopped working with more recent iOS versions - it’s been a big loss, both in the quality of my listening as well as the very useful level metering and listening time stats. Is there any chance of resurrecting the app?
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by denork View Post
I've been testing this, just applying it to projects that have already been mixed, but I still do not understand why I should use it.
I’ve only had a chance to use it on one already mixed project, and I’ve noticed that makes my music sound “cohesive” if you will; without, the different elements of my music seem more disconnected from each other. However, I’m not sure exactly what I’m doing. I’ll probably have to read the manual. And I can’t say that the opened mix is better than the “closed” prior version. I’m fairly certain I’m not using it in the best way.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by abluesky View Post
I’ve only had a chance to use it on one already mixed project, and I’ve noticed that makes my music sound “cohesive” if you will; without, the different elements of my music seem more disconnected from each other. However, I’m not sure exactly what I’m doing. I’ll probably have to read the manual. And I can’t say that the opened mix is better than the “closed” prior version. I’m fairly certain I’m not using it in the best way.
Exactly, yes, it sounds "better" to me, my ears notice how the mix closes and everything sounds more stuck, but I do not know if this is good or bad, I was already adapted to my beyer 990 + sonarworks, that's why I do not know if I need this.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

This kind of plugin can mask an excess of stereo on stuff and on low mids by example.. you'll have to bypass it at times to do a check if you mix on cans..
Everything sounds indeed more cohesive with CO3.
I think we should release pieces of music with a crossfeed version for can listeners
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear
IMO CO3 simply makes listening / producing / mixing on headphones more reliable and consistent when I can't use my monitors.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by nil hartman View Post
IMO CO3 simply makes listening / producing / mixing on headphones more reliable and consistent when I can't use my monitors.
I listen to a lot of music with headphones + Sonarworks, it would make sense to use CO3 if I could also listen to music, but if I do not listen to music I do not educate my ears, so when I mix it, it's like I do it with a new headset.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by sounddevisor View Post
I just want to second (or third, or whatever) the request to bring back the CanOpener iOS app. I do a huge amount of listening on my iPhone, and relied on CanOpener for several years. I was very disappointed when it stopped working with more recent iOS versions - it’s been a big loss, both in the quality of my listening as well as the very useful level metering and listening time stats. Is there any chance of resurrecting the app?
Android app as well? I don't actually listen to music on my phone all that much, but I'd buy that in a heartbeat.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Well, I spent some more time today with CO3 and Midside. While I was at it, I re-mixed my song in mono, using the mono button.

Now I can hear what the hype is about, and consider it an indispensable tool.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by sounddevisor View Post
As far as I can recall, the last time I asked, they had said there weren't any plans to resurrect the iPhone app. In lieu of that, there are a few really great current apps that have crossfeed features built in. The ones in my rotation at, at the moment are (in order of use):

-foobar2000
-Neutron Player
-Radsone Player
-Vox

In addition, for on the go use, I HIGHLY recommend the Earstudio ES100 bluetooth reciever. Not only does it have fantastic sound quality, it has a built-in microphone so it can allow you to make phone calls with any headphones that don't already have a mic, and the call quality is better than virtually any headset with a built-in mic. And, to top it all off, the companion app for the unit has the same crossfeed function as the Radsone Player! The thing is only $99, and the company updates the app and firmware pretty regularly. It can also function as a 24 bit DAC when connected via USB to a Mac!

Radsone | EarStudio

Hope that helps!

-TKB
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheKosherButcher View Post
...there are a few really great current apps that have crossfeed features built in. The ones in my rotation at, at the moment are (in order of use):

-foobar2000
-Neutron Player
-Radsone Player
-Vox
Thanks for the recs, Kosher Butcher! I'll check those out.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search