The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Goodhertz CanOpener Studio v3 Studio Headphones
Old 15th May 2018
Lives for gear

As for the combo with some of the corrective EQ solutions, I find they're all over the map. I've got 4 pairs of cans here, and have tried each with and without both Morphit and Sonarworks, and each of those options both with and without Can Opener.

The Morphit and Sonarworks corrective EQ's are so vastly different in some cases as to make me wonder whether they were even measuring the same model as the differences appear to be way beyond manufacturing tolerance issues.

That being said, I'm glad I stumbled across the particular combo of Sonarworks corrective EQ on Oppo PM3 along with Can Opener. Either plug by itself sounds skeweed on those cans, but together, it's the most balanced headphone monitoring situation I've encountered yet. Could be luck, but I'll take it.

Last edited by Ain't Nobody; 16th May 2018 at 02:33 AM..
Old 16th May 2018
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawn Hatfield View Post
I've gone back and forth a bit on whether I like using CanOpener with my LCD-X's. I'm starting to use them with CanOpener more regularly but I had to spend a lot more time tweaking the settings than I did when I set it up with my HD600's. The HD600's and CanOpener are a match made in heaven. The LCD-X's do benefit but from a much smaller amount of crossfeed (imo). I am finding a crossfeed amount of around 40-50% makes a nice improvement. For the HD600's it's about 100%. YMMV.
This tracks nicely with what we've seen in our own listening tests. We usually recommend 100% crossfeed for HD600's and something like 40%-75% for LCD-X's (and something similar for OPPO PM‑3's). The Audeze's do definitely benefit from some crossfeed though.
Old 17th May 2018
Gear Addict

Do you recommand 100 % crossfeed for Sennheiser HD 650 as well ?
Old 17th May 2018
Lives for gear

I'm using it at 150% with HD600s and -1db on the Bass.
Old 17th May 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by devinkerr View Post
This tracks nicely with what we've seen in our own listening tests. We usually recommend 100% crossfeed for HD600's and something like 40%-75% for LCD-X's (and something similar for OPPO PM‑3's). The Audeze's do definitely benefit from some crossfeed though.
Hi Devin,

What settings would you recommend for a pair of AKG 702?
Old 17th May 2018
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eklo View Post
Hi Devin,

What settings would you recommend for a pair of AKG 702?
Yes please thank you!
Old 17th May 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by nil hartman View Post
Yes please thank you!
I'd also love to know what is the recommendation for AKG 702. Thank you!
Old 17th May 2018
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macaroni View Post
Is this a personal preference or you think it translates well from a properly tuned studio?
Old 17th May 2018
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic_Beast View Post
I'd also love to know what is the recommendation for AKG 702. Thank you!
I'd recommend starting with 100% crossfeed since 702's can be harsher in the 5-10k region — maybe even higher depending on your tastes. The crossfeed should help warm that up a little and reduce fatigue when listening for long periods of time. Hope that helps!
Old 17th May 2018
Lives for gear

Sadly, I don't have a properly tuned studio, but I do have Dynaudio BM6As nicely decoupled from my desk and that CanOpener setting translates well to my speakers. Actually, I just lowered it to 144% and I like it better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilalin View Post
Is this a personal preference or you think it translates well from a properly tuned studio?
Old 22nd May 2018
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macaroni View Post
Macaroni - THANK YOU!! I've been using Canopener for a long time now, with my HD600s. I could never get any of my mixes to translate well using it... until i tried your 150%/-1db bass suggestion. Now, seemingly everything I mix on my cans translates, wonderfully, on almost every other playback system.

GoodHertz folks - is there any database of settings that work well with specific popular headphone models? I think such a list would be EXTREMELY helpful. Especially because I'm guessing that the optimal settings for closed, vs open, back headphones would vary significantly. Also, is there any hope of another iOS app? Yours was, far and away, my favorite music player for mobile use, and I can't find anything that works even remotely as well as yours did. Pretty please???

-TKB
Old 22nd May 2018
Lives for gear

@TheKosherButcher: I've now got it set it to 125% with 55 Angle, -.5 db Bass and -1 db overall level.
Old 5th June 2018
Gear Addict

Is it possible to only use the EQ section and bypass all the other functions ?
Old 6th June 2018
Lives for gear
Simply set crossfeed at 0.
Old 13th June 2018
Gear Guru
Quote:
Originally Posted by devinkerr View Post
I'd recommend starting with 100% crossfeed since 702's can be harsher in the 5-10k region — maybe even higher depending on your tastes. The crossfeed should help warm that up a little and reduce fatigue when listening for long periods of time. Hope that helps!
Can you please re-offer the iPhone app? I mostly work on phones (to stay married), and have learned to compensate. I send my mixes out to be rebuilt by someone who knows what they are doing. I produce in 32bit so.... A iphone app would be a godsend, even real basic, as a way of listening better.....
Old 13th June 2018
Maybe one answer to this issue is can you have an EQ Bypass button?
Then those of use using SW and just want the crossfeed option can then bypass the EQ all-together??
Old 14th June 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ataylor View Post
Maybe one answer to this issue is can you have an EQ Bypass button?
Then those of use using SW and just want the crossfeed option can then bypass the EQ all-together??
I was thinking more of an EQ mix knob. Values of zero and 100 cover the bypass. If one of the side effects of the mojo is that there is a build up in the lower register, I can hardly think of a worse way to fix it than to simply turn down a vague "bass" knob. It frankly detracts from the very notion of the plug increasing monitoring accuracy.

Obviously, the basic concept of the mix knob already resonates because that is exactly how the crossfeed works. Perfectly competent people for perfectly valid reasons may wish to use values other than 100% crossfeed, and they can dial in whatever works for them over or under while being aware that 100% is the default for a reason.

Similarly, maybe just maybe everyone who wants a value other than 100% frequency curve adjustment isn't a rube. It's quite clear to me on 6 different sets of cans now using compensation curves for each from two different vendors that I very consistently want the same exact thing... to just be able to turn down the percentage of EQ compensation. Not zero. Not 100%... and I assume the value I end up with will be different than the value someone else ends up with... and none of them could possibly be any less accurate than just turning down a fixed low frequency knob which strikes me more like performing surgery with a serving spoon.

It's already the way the crossfeed works. Users already know what it means and how to use it. I like the plug but almost didn't even try it because I read multiple bad reviews due only to the frequency compensation buildup. They all would have been rave reviews if the plug had a frequency compensation percentage knob like it does for the crossfeed. I'd give it 5 stars at that point as well.
Old 14th June 2018
Gear Maniac

I wish GoodHeartz would chime in here and possibly give us the settings for various headphones for the CO that would mimic their calibrated studio.

So, HD650, leave settings the way they are or change?
Old 14th June 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilalin View Post
I wish GoodHeartz would chime in here and possibly give us the settings for various headphones for the CO that would mimic their calibrated studio.

So, HD650, leave settings the way they are or change?
I changed my 'default' setting on my 650s to:

Crossfeed Amt= 150%
Angle= 45
Bass Freq= -1dB

All based on the 'Most Realistic' parameters.

Generally happy with this current setting. I do have the SW corrections in addition.

I've not delved beyond this, as I would need to better understand other parameters [Angle?].

So far, the correlation between Headphones and Monitors relate well.

Would be curious to read others view.
Old 15th June 2018
Gear Maniac

Thanks a lot for the tip.

For EDM mixing, I set my cans to Optimum not Linear in SW4 Advanced settings with 100% Crossfeed, 60 angle, -1dB Bass and Most Realistic setting in CO3.

It sounds to me just like a proper soundstage where MID and SIDE are balanced with just enough bass to be able to hear and mix the low end.

I used either EDM reference tracks or Avenger Expansions to compare professionally mixed and mastered and very good starting point material, respectively.
Old 15th June 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJHollins View Post
I changed my 'default' setting on my 650s to:

Crossfeed Amt= 150%
Angle= 45
Bass Freq= -1dB

All based on the 'Most Realistic' parameters.

Generally happy with this current setting. I do have the SW corrections in addition.

I've not delved beyond this, as I would need to better understand other parameters [Angle?].

So far, the correlation between Headphones and Monitors relate well.

Would be curious to read others view.
I'm also wondering about the angle parameter. Is it the speaker angle (which should be ideally 30 degrees most of the time) or is it the angle from the listener position towards the two speakers (i.e. the cone of the equilateral triangle which should be 60 degrees)? Hope my question makes sense...
Old 15th June 2018
Lives for gear

From what I gather from the Manual
Quote:
Angle

Controls the width of the crossfeed soundstage.

Smaller speaker angles (less than 30°) place the sound more “in front” of the listener. Larger speaker angles (more than 45°) are more immersive and surrounding. This control affects the crossfeed only — not the entire soundstage.
From the built-in Presets, I was using the 45 degree angle and stayed with it, until I better understand through auditioning.
Old 18th June 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by nil hartman View Post
I just moved in with my GF (which is great!) but I had to leave my previous, acoustically treated bedroom studio (which isn't that great... I mean, not having the same reliable monitoring environnement now), so I've just pulled the trigger on CO. I'm longtime GH owner and user, and CO's as stellar as their other plugins.
I've found that the "Lifelike" preset, with a tad less bass (half a dB or so), and matched output (between active/bypassed) is pretty much what I need to get
consistency between my beloved One15s and K702.
I'm genuinely curious to know which settings you guys are using. Thanks!

I'm just having a fiddle with it as I haven't settled on what I think is optimal yet. It's quite difficult to gauge the translation of certain aspects of things in my current living situation/no monitors, getting there though.

How have you got yours set up with the 702's now? I had mine at 60degrees as it's the default, after reading this post I tried lifelike and 45degrees seems to make sense, slightly less open sound which makes me think I'll have to work more to open the sound up slightly which could be a good thing.

Currently I'm running 100% crossfeed, 45degrees and -0.5 bass.

Was 60degrees before I saw that post but 45 feels right and I hadn't messed with that yet!

Anyway I'd appreciate hearing how your running it now (/anyone else with 702's)

Old 8th July 2018
Gear Nut
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ain't Nobody View Post
I was about to do that same combo until I read a few comments saying Can Opener is tone shaping when people don't want it to be ... If it's just doing crosstalk, there are other solutions out there for that ...
This might have been asked before, but what are some good plugins you could recommend for crosstalk? Canopener's price seems a bit steep for "what it is" for me.
Old 8th July 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kisame View Post
This might have been asked before, but what are some good plugins you could recommend for crosstalk? Canopener's price seems a bit steep for "what it is" for me.
Actually, at the time, I was looking mainly into hardware solutions. There's a number of simple DIY boxes, etc. I prefer the ease of use and flexibility in Can Opener for sure, but as mentioned, would strongly prefer the simple ability to dial the effective EQ up or down just like you already can with the crosstalk percentage and listening angle. It's quite odd to me that this one aspect should be fixed, and seems rather self evident that addressing it instead by adding MORE EQ (even ignoring how imprecise it is) is counter productive. Seems like a great design in so many other ways, and I really dig the company overall, but just not getting the logic behind that decision.

That being said, the default setting happens to compliment the SW curve on my most commonly used headphones (Oppo PM3) remarkably well, so for my daily situation, the combo is complimentary. I never use one without the other on these cans.
Old 9th July 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kisame View Post
I’d pay $500 for it. Don’t tell goodhertz! I find whatever the eq shift it does to headphones to translate very well to speakers. And being able to dial in crosstalk amounts etc is really great.
Old 9th July 2018
Lives for gear

What about printing with CO on the Masterbus...?
All can listeners would benefit from what were digging..
Old 9th July 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsblack View Post
I actually lol'd.
Old 9th July 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsblack View Post
So we have CD, DVD, Streaming, Vinyl, and now Headphone releases?
Old 9th July 2018
Lives for gear

Actually, I burned one too the other day... by accident.

Between SonarWorks running system-wide, Can Opener on the MB, and a hardware monitor switcher with a variety of options, it can get hairy switching between multiple monitors and multiple headphones... then, of course, the issue of bounces.

Switching issues aside, it's problematic that I have can opener on tracks inside Logic, but not on tracks played outside.

The way it SHOULD work (and it will eventually once enough people figure this out that it's worth something to hardware developers) is that the INTERFACE should run common format plugins. Switching should be as simple as choosing another output, and the interface implements the chosen stack and settings that match that output (or a choice of stacks if that output is used for multiple options such as a headphone jack).

That way, there's no additional switching needed anywhere, no issues running multiple plugs, no difference listening inside the DAW vs desktop, app, or browser audio, and no need to check whether there's active plugs on the MB. There's already a recent push to include a second monitor output, and in some cases a second headphone output on some of the more recent interfaces. This is just the logical extension of that expansion. It solves all the problems, and frankly, it's probably not that difficult to program as it just needs to add a very basic plugin stack to the existing output switching software.

Is there any interface that works like this currently? Haven't used Apollo and the like, but my understanding is basically that they use proprietary plugs. Anything plug and play and configurable by output? If not, it needs to happen.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search