The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Weiss DS1 MK3 plug in Dynamics Plugins
Old 5th March 2018
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Weiss DS1 MK3 plug in

Softube - Weiss DS1-MK3

well now.
Old 5th March 2018
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Ouch $499!

Think I'll stick to Essence personally
Old 5th March 2018
Lives for gear

Verified Member
hey Trumps making all kinds of weird trade statements $499 could be peanuts to us soon

Lots of extras in here actually, quite surprised.

Can a compressor be too transparent? that's my first thought!
Old 5th March 2018
Lives for gear

Verified Member
This is a dream come true! Best mastering news I've heard in ages.

Ouch $499? Have you seen the price of the hardware?
Old 5th March 2018
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermetech Mastering View Post
This is a dream come true! Best mastering news I've heard in ages.

Ouch $499? Have you seen the price of the hardware?
yes! still waiting for the eq1 plugin though...
Old 5th March 2018
Gear Maniac
Looking forward to giving this a go. Never used the hardware unit. Obviously, plugins have somewhat come on a tad since the hardware first came out. Will be interesting to hear how it stacks up.
Old 5th March 2018
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Yes, I know the price of the hardware, but Essence can do most if not all of it’s tricks, is less than 25% of the price, has a more useable looking interface, and also comes with Bob Katz presets and stamp of approval (and he has several DS-1s!)

I thought it pertinent to the conversation for those needing the same features whilst pocketing the extra £300 for more toys!
Old 5th March 2018
Gear Addict

Verified Member
Finally everybody can try the magic of the Weiss algos.
At least for 20 days .

The last time I was using Weiss hardware was ages ago and I´m really looking forward to comparing this to my seasonal favourites.

499 moneys is a lot nowadays but let´s see /hear if it´s worth it...
Old 5th March 2018
Finally!! Was about to spend 500€ on other plugins... well they'll have to wait!!!
Crazy news!
Old 5th March 2018
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Personally I would not make a difference if a great and usefull tool costs 499,- or 49,- when it comes to use at every day. Hopefully its better sounding than DMGs Essence, but that GUI is a huge showstopper to me and in no way deserves the price . To me it just looks like another toy for posers...
Old 5th March 2018
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Yeah, I think developing an interface that makes use of the fact that it is software rather than replicating the look of the hardware is a missed opportunity and a bit of a shame, especially for a tool of this depth.

Regarding price, I guess it's still cheap compared to Algorithmix, but it's now a competitive market compared to back then. You can buy a lot of exceptional mastering plugins for 500 bucks. Essence, Soothe and all the TDL plugins would still give you change out of that kind of cash
Old 5th March 2018
I'm quite interested to see how this compares to the hardware. A big part of using Weiss gear is the hands-on control and excellent ergonomics.

There are also a couple of processing tricks you can pull with the hardware as an unintended consequence of abusing levels within the fixed point architecture. I wonder if Daniel and Softube had the foresight to include those in the software?
Old 5th March 2018
Lives for gear

Verified Member
to me, it doesn't matter that much if the weiss 2018 software looks pretty much the same as the weiss 1789 software-on-hardware - in fact, i'm fine with sound, looks and habits staying (mostly) the same. i might even stick to realtime rendering...
regarding the price, 500.-- tells me that my hardware is still worth 5500.-- (at least to me)! finally, daniel is a great guy, so i rather stick with him rather than throw some money at a company i dunno...
Old 5th March 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by Conundra View Post
Yeah, I think developing an interface that makes use of the fact that it is software rather than replicating the look of the hardware is a missed opportunity and a bit of a shame, especially for a tool of this depth.
I agree with you and logic would dictate that ... on the other hand you forget that nowadays GUIs are selling plugins - this is no joke. if they would have come up with an ergonomic GUI that had little to do with the look of the original it could/would affect sales - well, one could argue that at the given price tag the gullible bedroom producer is not a target, but who knows ...
I'm all for ergonomic GUIs but I kinda understand why are they doing it.

Last edited by mastervargas; 9th March 2018 at 05:59 PM..
Old 5th March 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLaPointe View Post
There are also a couple of processing tricks you can pull with the hardware as an unintended consequence of abusing levels within the fixed point architecture. I wonder if Daniel and Softube had the foresight to include those in the software?
? AFAIK all Weiss hardware from last two decade or so is based on SHARC with 40bit floating point processing.

Personally I have never really used hardware and I'm curious, what I've been missing.
What do you mean by tricks? Regardless of internal processing, AES inputs and outputs are fixed point of course, so it's dithered at the end and levels can't exceed 0dBFS.

Michal
Old 5th March 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by msmucr View Post
? AFAIK all Weiss hardware from last two decade or so is based on SHARC with 40bit floating point processing.
You're right, that was poorly stated. I mean that the hardware has to come back to 24 bit fixed point for transmission along the AES line, so I wonder if the software does too internally.

In any case I'm looking forward to picking up a second DS1-MK3 hardware unit for pennies on the dollar now.
Old 5th March 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by JP__ View Post
To me it just looks like another toy for posers...
have you tried it? I thought so too but I'm demoing right now and I have to say the interface is pretty ergonomic. some features are a tad small but my eyes are not so sharp anymore, so don't go by me ...
Old 5th March 2018
Lives for gear

Verified Member
No, not yet. But a lot of other plug ins with those photo realistic GUI and I never dedect something usefull here.
But who knows.. Is it sizeable?
Old 5th March 2018
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Ouch $499!

Think I'll stick to Essence personally
Essence is outstanding! Very fast and clear interface too, compared to the faux-HW GUI here which does indeed feel like a bit of a missed opportunity. And despite the relatively cheap price, it's in the highest tier of sound quality for stealthy processing (SW/HW) with the right settings . Kotelnikov GE and Essence offer a whole lot of brilliant digital dynamic manipulation for less than half this price and with nice, intuitive workflow.

That said, $500 is totally worth it if it really offers an improvement in sound quality and the new limiting algorithms are on par with Elevate, Pro-L 2, etc.

Both companies leverage Mr. Katz for marketing these rather similar processors, hah. He sure had nice things to say about Essence when it was released and contributed some nice presets and bits to the user guide.

Will demo this week...I expect to be impressed but will be surprised if one is the clear winner for MS de-essing and taming subs.
Old 5th March 2018
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by mastervargas View Post
I agree with you and logic would dictate that ... on the other hand you forget that nowadays GUIs are selling plugins - this is no joke. if they would have come up with an ergonomic GUI that had little to do with the look of the original it could/would affect sales - well, one could argue that at the given price tag the gullible bedroom producer is not target, but who knows ...
I'm all for ergonomic GUIs but I kinda understand why are they doing it.
It's a shame. I've found I can't really use the PA Vertigo VSM-3 plugin due to the GUI. It's so small on screen as to be almost unusable and again needlessly follows the look of the hardware unit.

This looks to be following a similar trend. I wonder if it is resizable?
Old 5th March 2018
Quote:
It's a shame. I've found I can't really use the PA Vertigo VSM-3 plugin due to the GUI. It's so small on screen as to be almost unusable and again needlessly follows the look of the hardware unit.

This looks to be following a similar trend. I wonder if it is resizable?
no, unfortunately it's not resizable.
I hear ya regarding the PA stuff. I gave up on them over similar reasons. those Millennia plugs are unusable cause of the GUIs ...and the VSM-3 as well, you're right.
Old 5th March 2018
Gear Maniac

Just installed the demo and for a quick check I cloned the setting from the last session an mkIII unit for compression. I´m pretty impressed with the sound so far!
Great job by the Softube gang.
That being said there are a few things that seem strange.

With dither set to (off) seem to output floating point signal since it can exceed 0dBs without any damage. thats even cool
I thought I might set dither to 24bit to cut it down to 24bits which results in bad crackling. So you can not drive it into clipping at them moment without destroying the audio. I testet within Reaper...maybe someone else can test it in a diffrent DAW.

The Auto Gain Makup does not seem to work...at least not in the way it works in on the hardware.
Old 5th March 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by steffen View Post
I thought I might set dither to 24bit to cut it down to 24bits which results in bad crackling. So you can not drive it into clipping at them moment without destroying the audio. I testet within Reaper...maybe someone else can test it in a diffrent DAW.
it's the same in Samp
Old 5th March 2018
Gear Addict

Did you set it to teh DS1 original limiter? (I think the new software specific type-1) is selected by default .. that might change the output clipping sound

Quote:
Originally Posted by steffen View Post

The Auto Gain Makup does not seem to work...at least not in the way it works in on the hardware.
Bitter is a free plugin, and will show you the 64-bit data stream if your host supports it (reaper does).

Sounds like this unit drops back down to 32-bit, will have to test this out later
Old 5th March 2018
Gear Maniac

Just installed, not resizeable and definitely getting tiny at higher resolutions. Especially the buttons and entire left-hand display.

The MM-1 limiter UI on the other hand is better, if a bit underwhelming. Number readouts are still pretty small actually.

"More visualization" is not always the answer for loudness tools, but more advanced and detailed metering would be welcome.
Peak over RMS bars with hold is nice at least.

Perhaps if enough people hammer them with UI feature requests something may happen.
I don't believe Softube have ever had user resizeable UIs but it must be on their development radar by now.

I think the Weiss algorithms with a more modern UX refresh would rock.
Old 5th March 2018
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by loji View Post
Did you set it to teh DS1 original limiter? (I think the new software specific type-1) is selected by default .. that might change the output clipping sound

Bitter is a free plugin, and will show you the 64-bit data stream if your host supports it (reaper does).

Sounds like this unit drops back down to 32-bit, will have to test this out later
Safety limiter off...almost never use it
Old 5th March 2018
Gear Maniac

For shure it looks interessting, but 500 USD or Euro is pretty expensive. Is there someone using Elysia Alpha compressor from PA and want to test the Weiss in comparison ? Also here, the hardware unit costs a lot, around 10.000 USD. I had some fun with the Alpha at Xmas, which I used as a trial, and will probably buy it in the future.
Old 5th March 2018
Gear Addict

Seems like the bypass built into the plug is acting funny to me ..

I got this bypassing (the green button) a 16-bit file : (attached)

... looks like the bypass isn't bit-transparent on the plug-in GUI,

bypassing in Reaper worked as expected
Specifically : The Make-up Gain, and the Threshold control are altering the bit-stream (between 16-24bits) even when 'bypassed' on the plug.

And the entire plug is leaking above 24-bits. Can someone else test this to make sure it's not just my system doing something incorrect? . . . I've never seen this behavior before. I've tested in both Reaper and PT12... I've sent a support ticket to Softube, I expect they'll want to know about this
Attached Thumbnails
Weiss DS1 MK3 plug in-screen-shot-2018-03-05-1.55.48-pm.png  

Last edited by loji; 5th March 2018 at 08:23 PM.. Reason: more details...
Old 5th March 2018
So far De-essing sounds very close to original. In AAX bit depth seems to be functioning correctly. You can't do the "tricks" mentioned in this thread that you can do with the hardware bc of the fully floating point architecture I'm guessing. It doesn't clip the same that's for sure. Didn't matter what limiter setting I used or if I set it to 24 bit output, clipping sounded horrid.

Still a def buy even you need other things in the chain to cover additional level duties
Old 5th March 2018
Seriously that's a big miss if it can't clip the same!!!! That's a usefull tool when in need to compet for loud while staying as clean as possible.... That's a really dumb mistake if it's the case....
Quote:
Originally Posted by yeloocproducer View Post
So far De-essing sounds very close to original (closer than essence). In AAX bit depth seems to be functioning correctly. You can't do the "tricks" mentioned in this thread that you can do with the hardware bc of the fully floating point architecture I'm guessing. It doesn't clip the same that's for sure. Didn't matter what limiter setting I used or if I set it to 24 bit output, clipping sounded horrid.

Still a def buy even you need other things in the chain to cover additional level duties
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search