The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Weiss DS1 MK3 plug in Dynamics Plugins
Old 10th April 2018
Gear Maniac

One detail that might make the Softube DS-1 sound a bit different to the hardware is that it can work with resolutions up to 32 bit 192 kHz.
Old 10th April 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by 01010110 View Post
Think about it. Extremely short attack and extremely short release. When the signal is above the threshold, the compression starts. Since the attack + release is sooo fast it ducks, then get back.. then ducks.. then get back.. and so on.. much faster than the frequency of the sine wave.
I thought that release should only happen once the signal goes below the threshold, not once the attack is finished ?
i must admit, I only use/know feed-forward compressors, so maybe this is feed-back and normal for that topology ? Or just some program dependent stuff ?

Edit: there is discussion about half way down the page here...
Lets do it: The Ultimate Plugin Analysis Thread
Old 10th April 2018
Gear Maniac

Hardly an expert on the inner workings of digital audio, but this whole thing intrigued me, and I was able to produce similar graphs with about three plugins from my collection of compressors. They’re all well-respected products, and the common link seemed to be fast attack, fast release.
Old 10th April 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattGray View Post
Daniel got back to me and confirmed the following...
Please share the whole post Matt. He may just be confirming there’s a difference in the image only with what you posted... we have no way to tell if this is a flaw or caused the the settings with that statement.

I have an email into him right now with several questions.
Old 10th April 2018
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvertone View Post
Please share the whole post Matt. He may just be confirming there’s a difference in the image only with what you posted... we have no way to tell if this is a flaw or caused the the settings with that statement.

I have an email into him right now with several questions.
That's his whole post actually. I didn't ask him to clarify what exactly that meant but my ears don't lie, it sounds less natural than the hardware at 1x FS so it's nothing to do with timing only. Except to say maybe the timing he speaks of caused some slight cancellation in the HF's so it sounds smeary. If he fills in the blanks to your email questions, be sure to post it here.
Old 10th April 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattGray View Post
That's his whole post actually. I didn't ask him to clarify what exactly that meant but my ears don't lie, it sounds less natural than the hardware at 1x FS so it's nothing to do with timing only. Except to say maybe the timing he speaks of caused some slight cancellation in the HF's so it sounds smeary. If he fills in the blanks to your email questions, be sure to post it here.
Well that sounds about right for Daniel as well. lol

I’ll post what he says once he gets back to me.
Old 10th April 2018
Gear Addict

Sorry for being lazy but can someone explain how the parallel compression works on the DS-1?
Old 10th April 2018
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Some more info from Daniel on the subject...

Quote:
Daniel Weiss:

The latency thing should not change the quality, unless there is some latency compensation attempted in the workstation with summation of correlated signals with differing latencies. (The latency compensation can't compensate for sub-sample delays (I think...)). That would result in some comb filter effects (although high up in frequency due to the small delay difference).
The hardware uses 5 DSP chips which transfer audio between them. These transfers also cause some additional latency which has to be taken care of in the plug-in version.

Regards,
Daniel
Old 10th April 2018
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdd17 View Post
Sorry for being lazy but can someone explain how the parallel compression works on the DS-1?
I’ll try to answer part of it and also ask something else about it too. If you engage parallel button and start compressing you start to blend compression to your signal by turning the gain makeup up from fully left to right. Default gain makeup is at 0db (off), that means no compression added.
So, my question is if the gain makeup functions as a wet/dry knob, hard left is only dry signal and hard right is 100% parallel comp? So 50% should be at unity but it’s off?

Last edited by Mubemol; 10th April 2018 at 04:28 PM..
Old 11th April 2018
m03
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by loji View Post
Their up to V. 2.4.50 (which was different than I original downloaded)
Up to 2.4.51 as of today.

Does Softube make a changelog available? Curious what the changes have been in these minor updates.
Old 11th April 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by m03 View Post

Does Softube make a changelog available? Curious what the changes have been in these minor updates.
yes, but it seems to be always lagging behind reality:

Softube - Plug-ins Change Log
Old 11th April 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by m03 View Post

I can only see 2.4.50 in the "my downloads" section when I login, where did you see 2.4.51?

hopefully they fixed the output ceiling bug of the MM1 as it´s quite annoying, but I doubt it as it´s not even listed under "known issues" although I and many others have reported the bug so they must know of it. well....
Old 11th April 2018
Gear Nut

Yes they fixed the MM1 bug, finally.
Old 12th April 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mubemol View Post
Yes they fixed the MM1 bug, finally.
What is/was the MM-1 bug exactly?
Ta
Old 12th April 2018
Gear Nut

output ceiling wasn't woking properly after closing and reopening a session
Old 12th April 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mubemol View Post
output ceiling wasn't working properly after closing and reopening a session
Thanks.
Is/was the output ceiling jumping back to default as opposed to a user setting ?
And by output ceiling do you mean the Output Trim (in the Side Menu) or the
Limiter Gain ?

Thanks again
Old 12th April 2018
Lives for gear

Verified Member
I would think that anything Daniel designs would be top shelf, as he has an impeccable reputation...

Haven't tried the new plug-in yet, but it’s on my short list of things to do...

If I like it, might even be worth updating my ancient-but-trusty DAW setup, just to get it.

I’ve been using the Sonnox Oxford DeEsser for a decade or more, and like it... a lot.

But when Daniel released a plug-in, heads & ears turn, and listen.

best, JT
Old 12th April 2018
Ebay is awash with hardware units so the plug in must be keeping users happy. It's only a tenth of the used price.
Old 12th April 2018
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beatworld View Post
Thanks.
Is/was the output ceiling jumping back to default as opposed to a user setting ?
Exactly!

Sorry, I meant the output trim (side panel). didn't matter what value you chose it would reset to Zero (default) after reopening a session.
Old 13th April 2018
There are a couple of things that left me puzzled... the trial installation procedure and the user manual just to mention a few... but this is a very good plug imo and I bought it.

I like it even in default mode, as soon as you open it with TH and GR on zero.
I don't know exactly what it does, but in my blind tests, I like what it does even on those settings.
And that for me is a winner. Something I didn't get with Essence. With Essence I had the feeling I need to sweat more for my dough...Call me lazy.

But please Softube, CAN YOU PUT A MONITORING LEVEL SOLO CONTROL?

Every time I'm monitoring the band for de-essing I have my tweeter crying blood!

I'm not sure if the original had the same issue...or I am the only one here?

Anyway.... let's wait for the EQ to come out... and watch out for very looong thread here on GS on how it will stack up against Equilibrium
Old 13th April 2018
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul_G View Post
Ebay is awash with hardware units so the plug in must be keeping users happy. It's only a tenth of the used price.
Man I'd be a bit butthurt if I had one. Yikes! Without any analogue processing, I can't see the advantage of having the box..... I hope nobody bought one as a Xmas present!.......
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict
It's been more than 15 years since I used the hardware version of DS-1 in a session, but it was so easy to set up and sounded so great, it's been a dream since. The plugin version, even at $500, seemed too good to be true. Indeed, as I saw the fake hardware control panel interface I had my doubts, but grabbed the demo regardless...

The day after that, I was working on a vinyl premaster, which had some problematic percussive sounds in the high end. Didn't want to lose them entirely, but wasn't sure they could be cut properly. I tweaked all the de-essers I had, assuming those slicker, simpler interfaces were the ideal solutions... unfortunately those were either audible in operation, or otherwise offensive. Each seemed close, and with time and tweaking could do the job. But it wasn't going to be easy, without resorting to spot fixes (none of my dynamic eq's were any better). On a whim I pulled up the demo Weiss (I have a rule not to use stuff I don't own and can't recall, and this hadn't proven itself real as a plug, nor had it reached into my wallet yet). Within 30 seconds, the problem was fixed. No spot-fixes necessary! No manual, no preset, just knob turning.

That ease of use was the original appeal of the hardware back then; Sure it sounded great, but that interface was terrific to use. Putting the same controls in the same spots on the screen was easier to use than slicker, more modern interfaces. while the layout could be tightened up a bit, you'd lose readability. It was very counterintuitive -- I'm a trained digital designer and taught design at a university, so this is in my wheelhouse. It breaks lots of rules, even if you love skeumorphic solutions (I don't); I think it just uses white space and color so well that the clarity and sequence of controls more than offset the downside.

While the price may seem off-putting, I'd say it's a pretty good investment, and actually a benefit for pros. Think of it like a membership card. Punters are unlikely to spend $500 on a plugin, but anyone who masters for paying customers will quickly recoup the sum from billable work. Not so high you need to run up your credit card debt to obtain it, but high enough to properly compensate Daniel Weiss and Softtube for making it available and supporting it. Needless to say, this things found a place in my Favorites list, and will see a lot of use in sessions.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut

Oh, *very* cool! Thanks for posting!
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

It says included in the DS-1mkiii package.

I went to my downloads section, and didn't see the Deess listed. (only the MM1)

does anyone know how to get the Deess with a prior purchased DS-1mkiii license?
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict
Quote:
In another thread someone was complaining about the price... in some respects, the additional modules that ship with the plugin extend the functionality and efficiency of the set up... so maybe it's even cooler than the original hardware! To be clear, I DIDN'T use the De-ess module, but rather the hardware version's denser interface. And it was still dead simple. It's hard to beat. The time saved in either the dedicated, simpler skins or the "classic" hardware-layout of the full plug, makes it worth the price in my rig.

In my case, the demo has paid the freight for my purchase in billable time. As a pro that's a nice bonus -- I don't feel too stressed over the expenditure, since I put it to immediate use. That's kind of rare around here... I tend never to use tools in sessions until I've really worked them out, so ROI generally happens after purchase. I felt no qualms about inserting it for the use above, as I'm well acquainted with (and deeply lustful of) the hardware.

2018 has brought me some really great upgrades, this being just the latest. WL 9.5 has addressed most gripes I've had in prior versions, and a few other long-awaited tools have arrived, alongside a new mastering Mac. I'm having a blast so far!
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by loji View Post
It says included in the DS-1mkiii package.

I went to my downloads section, and didn't see the Deess listed. (only the MM1)

does anyone know how to get the Deess with a prior purchased DS-1mkiii license?
I had the same problem. Sign out of Gobbler and back in. Then it shoudl show up in "installers".
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxlor314 View Post
I had the same problem. Sign out of Gobbler and back in. Then it shoudl show up in "installers".
Thanks,

I refuse to use Gobbler.

I manually install from the download. I opened a support ticket but haven't heard back yet.

--- Edit --

checked back just now, and it's up under 'My Downloads'
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Softube has added another plugin to the DS1-MK3 bundle.

Weiss Deess:
https://www.softube.com/index.php?id=news225

If you bought the DS1-MK3 bundle you should now see the Deess plugin in your account.

It looks like they also addressed some bugs in the main DS1-MK3 plugin and the MM-1.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

The new Deess plug really makes this bundle purchase a no brainer. Sounds amazing and love that it's dual band.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search