The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
DMG Essence Offline render bug? Anyone else? Modular Synthesizers
Old 28th February 2018
DMG Essence Offline render bug? Anyone else?

Hey Everyone.

I've been having a weird issue trying to offline render tracks with essence on them.

Essence 1.04
Reaper 5.50

Happens irrespective of VST/VST3

Basically, if I have essence on a track or item and smoothing is ON, as soon as I try to render the file (offline and faster than realtime) it's almost as if the plugin gets stuck in a perpetual state of maximum gain reduction. It's pretty easy to repeat and i've tried uninstall / reinstall, etc.

I bought it to the attention of the DMG folks, but haven't heard anything in a few months. Wondering if anyone else has experienced this, or can re-create it.

Thanks in advance.

Mike
Old 1st March 2018
Lives for gear

Unfortunately I only use Essence in REAPER on real-time playback of item FX into my analog chain. Any offline rendering I would use it for would be done in WaveLab.

Did you check the AU version of Essence as a last resort?

I recently email DMG about a few minor issues and haven't heard back either. Maybe he's taking a break or working on something else that is super awesome.

Tomorrow I can try a few offline render tests but will probably get the same result as you.
Old 1st March 2018
Thanks Justin,

I also rarely use it offline - but of course the option should be there.
Old 1st March 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by the3030club View Post
Thanks Justin,

I also rarely use it offline - but of course the option should be there.
Definitely agreed. I found this problem in WaveLab too from time to time. Plugins work on playback but not on rendering.

I think the main issue that plugin developers don't have the time/resources to test all DAWs, especially the smaller ones like REAPER and WaveLab so they mostly stick to Pro Tools/Logic/Cubase.

Anyway, hopefully you can get ahold of Dave @ DMG because that's usually where these issue need to be fixed rather than at the DAW.
Old 1st March 2018
Gear Nut

I've been having it get stuck on a maximum amount of whatever I have it doing. Expand, compress, whatever, and it will sometimes go as if I had pulled the thresholds all the way down. I can't un-stick it w/out closing my session. And then it usually does it again.
This is real time. No such problem in rendering context.

V. 1.04 vst 2 64 bit in Sequoia/Windows 10. It's a recent issue, oddly, and I've had 1.04 since last fall w/out problems until a couple weeks ago.

Nothing in my rig has changed except a few new plugs installed (not being used at the time).

They've not responded to my tech support appeal of last week.
Old 1st March 2018
Gear Addict

Try and change the setting called "inform plugins of offline render state" and see of that makes a difference.
Old 1st March 2018
Lives for gear

Verified Member
I also have this bug and it is related to smoothing and single release mode I think.

I’m having this issue in Live 9 , AU on Mavericks. A good friend has no such issue in Logic so would be good to know your setup.

What DAW and OS are you on?

Cheers

Conundra

Edit. I don’t think it’s an offline render issue per se. For me at least, the meters get pinned at max GR when stopping the transport.

Last edited by Conundra; 1st March 2018 at 09:23 AM.. Reason: Typo
Old 1st March 2018
Lives for gear

Verified Member
I use approximately 325724564259876 instances of Essence a day, in Reaper. Smoothing on 99% of the time. Never had any problems whatsoever.

FWIW I never use single release time, so that might be worth looking at.
Old 1st March 2018
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Yeah I only ever use dual release mode and essence is used in probably 40-50% of mastering jobs with no issues whatsoever. Would be nice if Dave could quash this single release mode bug though. I’m sure we killed it in an earlier beta and an update caused it to rear it’s head again.
Old 1st March 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by macc View Post
I use approximately 325724564259876 instances of Essence a day, in Reaper. Smoothing on 99% of the time. Never had any problems whatsoever.

FWIW I never use single release time, so that might be worth looking at.
Interesting, are you offline rending said instances of essence too?
Old 1st March 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by Conundra View Post
I also have this bug and it is related to smoothing and single release mode I think.

I’m having this issue in Live 9 , AU on Mavericks. A good friend has no such issue in Logic so would be good to know your setup.

What DAW and OS are you on?

Cheers

Conundra

Edit. I don’t think it’s an offline render issue per se. For me at least, the meters get pinned at max GR when stopping the transport.

Essence 1.04
Reaper 5.50
OSX 10.10

I do use essence a lot, and i've never once had this issue while actually working (real time playback etc) But 100% of the time it pops up when I render and then, like you said, gets stuck until I remove and re-instantiate the plugin (or quite the daw)
Old 1st March 2018
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Conundra View Post

Same problem here with reaper; also in realtime playback (never really used Smoothing thought and havent used Essence for month) and with Dual Release engaged.
Something is really buggy here I think; when I dis/enable Oversampling, its gone til I stop and start playback again...
Old 1st March 2018
Lives for gear

Verified Member
I've also found that disabling and re-enabling oversampling sometimes brings it back to life. I'm in Ableton and thought it was specific to my DAW and OS, but if this bug is manifesting itself in this many different setups, then hopefully it should be easier for Dave to reproduce it and sort a fix. Here's hoping for an update soon
Old 1st March 2018
FWIW, I contacted DMG about this last year

Reaper 5.40/64
Mac 10.12.6
DMG*Essence*1.04
Pulled up TRK Strengthen Warmth preset on a stereo interleaved wav track, and adjusted the threshold on both mid and side to effect 1-3dB of GR. Essence*behaves and sounds as expected.* However, once I click to move playback cursor to a different time point in the project, the GR meters peg, and are unresponsive to further adjustments.* This happens when calling up a number of TRK presets, but haven’t experienced it with any other presets.

On 8/31/17 they acknowledged the following bug exists:

“Thanks for getting in touch, not sure why this is happening but I found i and we will take a look at it and try to resolve it asap.”

I then wrote on 1/29/18:
Just following up - any chance of an update on*Essence*for the aforementioned metering bugs?* There are times when starting with some other presets as well, I think bManics, and meters go haywire.* Take bManic EDM Tight Kick preset, select Difference for monitoring, and watch the meters peg and become unresponsive.* It can usually be reset with restarting playback, so not nearly as annoying as the GR metering bug mentioned back in August (below).

Also, it would be nice if there was a way to kill the pops/thumps that will happen when stopping playback or switching between two presets (be it my own or ones by TRK) during playback.* I assume this is due to the linear phase involved?* To that end, sometimes stacking two instances of*Essence*can create some havoc.* It's been a while and I don't have time to adequately describe it right now, but I assume you're able to reproduce.* I've always resolved the issue by inserting a plug that's set for minimum phase in between the Essences, usually clears things up.

Thanks.* Again, love*Essence, but hope an update will come soon to make it all the more useful.

On a completely separate note, might there be plans for a dynamic EQ and/or multiband comp down the line?* Fingers crossed!

I haven’t heard back from them since this last message.
Old 1st March 2018
Gear Nut

Simliar to my issues though my meters AND the actual effect pegs, sometimes at least.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kywoman View Post
FWIW, I contacted DMG about this last year

Reaper 5.40/64
Mac 10.12.6
DMG*Essence*1.04
Pulled up TRK Strengthen Warmth preset on a stereo interleaved wav track, and adjusted the threshold on both mid and side to effect 1-3dB of GR. Essence*behaves and sounds as expected.* However, once I click to move playback cursor to a different time point in the project, the GR meters peg, and are unresponsive to further adjustments.* This happens when calling up a number of TRK presets, but haven’t experienced it with any other presets.

On 8/31/17 they acknowledged the following bug exists:

“Thanks for getting in touch, not sure why this is happening but I found i and we will take a look at it and try to resolve it asap.”

I then wrote on 1/29/18:
Just following up - any chance of an update on*Essence*for the aforementioned metering bugs?* There are times when starting with some other presets as well, I think bManics, and meters go haywire.* Take bManic EDM Tight Kick preset, select Difference for monitoring, and watch the meters peg and become unresponsive.* It can usually be reset with restarting playback, so not nearly as annoying as the GR metering bug mentioned back in August (below).

Also, it would be nice if there was a way to kill the pops/thumps that will happen when stopping playback or switching between two presets (be it my own or ones by TRK) during playback.* I assume this is due to the linear phase involved?* To that end, sometimes stacking two instances of*Essence*can create some havoc.* It's been a while and I don't have time to adequately describe it right now, but I assume you're able to reproduce.* I've always resolved the issue by inserting a plug that's set for minimum phase in between the Essences, usually clears things up.

Thanks.* Again, love*Essence, but hope an update will come soon to make it all the more useful.

On a completely separate note, might there be plans for a dynamic EQ and/or multiband comp down the line?* Fingers crossed!

I haven’t heard back from them since this last message.
Old 1st March 2018
Lives for gear

Verified Member
This is really weird. I can't imagine anyone using Essence more than I do - I mean, I use gazillions of them, every day, for all manner of things. Most useful plugin of all time IMO. Never seen any of this stuff.

Old 2nd March 2018
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Yeah, it is odd. As i mentioned, another ME friend of mine doesn’t get this bug on his system at all.
Old 2nd March 2018
Gear Head
Guys, why do you use old versions of Reaper? Try 5.76
Do you read changelogs? Probably it has been fixed since 5.50. Recent updates connected with FX, render, vst and many much more. Also there was a line like this: fixed incorrect offline rendering plugin informing.

Also going back to your old version is backward compatible, no need to worry. Download and try. Latest is better than old.
Or try beta 5.79 versions with a lot of fx, vst fixes too. Anyway any final stable version becomes a task for fixing in next version.
Old 2nd March 2018
Lives for gear

Verified Member
If this bug is evident in other DAWs and setups, then I doubt the version of Reaper is the issue here.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search