The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Does anyone remember when waves L1 was released? Dynamics Plugins
Old 17th February 2018
Lives for gear

Does anyone remember when waves L1 was released?

I can't find the info online. If I remember correctly my first encounter with the plugin was around 1997-98 but I think the plugin was a few years old by then.

For those who remember, what was the competition at the time? DBX, TC, Weiss?

Thanks,
Philip
Old 17th February 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by philip View Post
I can't find the info online. If I remember correctly my first encounter with the plugin was around 1997-98 but I think the plugin was a few years old by then.

For those who remember, what was the competition at the time? DBX, TC, Weiss?

Thanks,
Philip
Was there any software competition then?

The date sounds about right. VST(1)(effects) was available then, but I don't think VST(2) (instruments) until a bit later. I have no idea about the other formats so maybe competition did exist.

I'm too old to remember...other than knowing I spent a lot of money on Waves for so little tools...but still definitely worth it!

In addition to your question, I would like to know if the L2 hardware limiter was shipped AFTER the L2 software had been out for a while?
Old 17th February 2018
Lives for gear

My guess would be '93-'94. If my memory serves, L2 was around by '98 and was the king in the early 2000s. The only major contender at that time was the TC (and of course clipping).
Old 18th February 2018
Motown legend

Verified Member
It was the very first limiter plug-in and the second after Q10 for Sound Designer II.
Old 18th February 2018
for windows Waves wasn't all Direct X first, before getting to VST? that's how I remember ... maybe I'm wrong.

as for competition there was some Steinberg stuff from the early WaveLab - some sort of leveler, a multiband comp...
Old 18th February 2018
Lives for gear

Thanks for all replies!

Just to be clear, I'm talking generally about brick-wall limiters, including digital hardware at the time.

Yes the early Waves plugins was DX for PC. Don't know about mac but if my memory serves me they where TDM only?

So the L1 was released somewhere around 93-94 presumably.

When I started mastering around 98-99 there where a few brick-wall limiters to choose from, I used t-racks a few years.
But before that, there was TC and DBX finalizers around, they must have been able to brick-wall limit as well?

When did the modern loudness war began to be heard? Was it because of L1 or was there any prior brick-wall limiting solutions that started it off?

Quote:
In addition to your question, I would like to know if the L2 hardware limiter was shipped AFTER the L2 software had been out for a while?
Yes, the L2 hardware was shipped after the L2 software been around for a while. They did release some other plugins as hardware such as maxx-bass and now I just realized it is still in production, mind blown MaxxBCL | Hardware | Waves

Edit: I was wrong, the L2 hardware was released before the software according to this article (and the software wasn't released until 2001) Waves L2 Ultramaximizer - Mixonline

Just to sum up:

L1 was released around 93-94
L2 Hardware was released 2000 and was based on the L1
L2 Software was released 2001

Last edited by philip; 18th February 2018 at 05:43 PM..
Old 18th February 2018
I believe the MaxxBCL is quite popular in the live sound world. Saw quite a few engineers coming through with it in my old live sound days.
Old 18th February 2018
Lives for gear

A few more questions.

Was the L1 Ultramaximizer released at the same time as L1?

Does anyone know what the difference are between them? (they don't null so there is something going on)

Thanks,
Philip
Old 18th February 2018
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Olhsson View Post
It was the very first limiter plug-in and the second after Q10 for Sound Designer II.
I’ve still got the floppy disk installers for both!
Old 18th February 2018
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by greggybud View Post
The hardware box was first because the L2 was too CPU intensive for most computers of the day. That was towards the end of the life of my Mac Quadra with 33MHz processor speed so I guess it makes sense.
Old 19th February 2018
Lives for gear

Verified Member
I'm not sure the L1 & 2 had/have the same look-ahead delay (I could be wrong) but the game changer was seen as the ARC function in the latter.

In terms of hardware, all we had was the first dedicated digital-only limiter for CD mastering, the Sony DAL-1000. This was more of a look-ahead upwards compressor: choose one of two curves types and an amount out of 100 and that was it. Linear to -6 dB or so. Great for adding density, although 16 bit only and not a true brick wall limiter. Later featured in the DPS-V77.
Old 19th February 2018
Lives for gear

It feels a bit strange for me reminiscing about Waves old software especially L1 &2.

I had almost forgotten about Direct X. Thanks a lot!
Old 19th February 2018
Lives for gear

Verified Member
did the original L1 install 15 different programs on your computer and need 40 layers of software licencing to work like modern Waves plugs?
Old 19th February 2018
Motown legend

Verified Member
The very first version for sound designer used a pace floppy disk that installed a license on the system disk. After Pro Tools came out, Waves introduced their WaveShell system that allowed sharing plug-ins across multiple processor chips before Digidesign made the same capability available. They have stuck with that split DSP/host-interface format.
Old 21st February 2018
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe_caithness View Post
did the original L1 install 15 different programs on your computer and need 40 layers of software licencing to work like modern Waves plugs?
On a PC you had a HASP dongle for a parallel port. The protection seemed reasonably inoffensive and certainly worked fine on my old 233MHz PII (although I think I may have used it on an earlier machine too).
Old 21st February 2018
Motown legend

Verified Member
We had the hasp dongles on the Mac too in the late '90s.
Old 21st February 2018
Lives for gear

Verified Member
i used jünger d01/d02 at the same time as l1/l2, tc, drawmer, orban etc. became popular - analog contenders were from gml, bss, dbx, aphex

funny enough, i'm still using all of them...
Old 21st February 2018
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:
Yep, I bought it the day it was released in March 94’!

saw the review in Mix magazine.

I was already using the Q10 with SD2.

Version 1.0 of the L1 came on floppies with 4 installs available, much more user friendly than today’s triple paranoid online authorization, which punishes legal paid users.

v.1.0 did have some hang and crash issues which they quickly corrected and sent out v.1.1 floppies.

It was a milestone, immediately I could use the limiter to get my masteres as loud as Bob Ludwig’s :~o}

and of course the temptation was to over-use it, dial in too much limiting... i.e. 6dB.

Michael Gerzon was still around then, and Waves still operated in a friendly ethical way.

So I was mostly working ITB in those early years, with early plug-ins, with an occasional use of outboard hardware processing when the project budget allowed.

DSP processing on the Mac DAW took foreverrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr back then, if you were doing all DSP ITB EQ Compression & Limiting you were in for a loooong day. but it got the job done!

ah the good-ol-days ;~o} when a 1GB HDD cost thousands, and CD-R blanks were $35 each!

best, jt
Old 22nd February 2018
Motown legend

Verified Member
Waves only became less friendly after they learned that most waves users were running cracks. They had hired a number of the top algorithm designers in the world such as Michael Gerzon at great expense and watched that investment go right up in smoke.
Old 22nd February 2018
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:
Waves only became less friendly after they learned that most waves users were running cracks. They had hired a number of the top algorithm designers in the world such as Michael Gerzon at great expense and watched that investment go right up in smoke.
i never ran cracks, still don’t.

respect for intellectual property.

today’s utra rigid protection schemes punish the legal paid users

a shame

best, jt
Old 22nd February 2018
Motown legend

Verified Member
It's unfortunately part of the cost..

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search