The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Crimson as a limiter.
Old 14th February 2018
Gear Addict

Crimson as a limiter.

Any of you guys using Crimson as a limiter and nothing else?

I had some interresting results using it, and with Load from airwindows.
With the clipping they have on that, its kind of easy going loud with it, and the compressor and a little distortion (doing rock) it really beef up the results.
And by saying loud, im not doing Metallica loud, but around -10 lufs.

So curious how and or if, someone else use it as a limiter.

Not a masterer, but mastering my own stuff to learn and i quite like it.
Old 15th February 2018
Mastering should be pretty clean. If you like that much distortion and color in your music, put it in the mix, not the master.
Old 15th February 2018
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by nverxion View Post
Mastering should be pretty clean. If you like that much distortion and color in your music, put it in the mix, not the master.
Of course.
As with everything, less is more! And that is How i use it as well.
Not 100% on everything. Still it does some nice limiting and glueing, even on subtle levels.
Old 15th February 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by nverxion View Post
exactly! tried it for mastering and at least in context with my hardware I found absolutely no use for it. bass always sounded undefined and... kind of "wooly"? the distortion is great but not for mastering, at least if you don´t want to mess with the sound too much. there could be a track where it´s just the tool to use, but I havn´t come accross one yet. I used it in some mixes, on solo instrumental tracks it does a nice job, also I liked it used very subtle on some vocals.
I don´t dig the comp though and only use it for subtle saturation in some mixes.
but mastering? I would say no!

Last edited by mastermat; 16th February 2018 at 03:09 PM..
Old 16th February 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by mastermat View Post
exactly! tried it for mastering and at least in context with my hardware I found absolutely no use for it. bass always sounded undefined and... kind of "wooly"? the distortion is great but not for mastering, at least if you don´t want to mess with the sound too much. there could be a track where it´s just the tool to use, but I havn´t come accross one yet. I used it in some mixes, on solo instrumental tracks it does a nice job, also I liked it used very subtle on some vocals.
I don´t dig the comp though and only use it for subtle saturation in some mixes.
but mastering? I would say no!
I had a feeling I was going to remove it as soon as I put it in the chain. Lo and behold - after about ten minutes of playing with it, it was gone. It's not for mastering. Acustica likes to think that it is, but it's not.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search