The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Best Buy to Stop Selling CDs Studio Monitors
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonlinear View Post
CDs are nearly obsolete and vinyl is a niche market. Most streaming and "satellite radio" is highly compressed and sound like ****e, IMHO.

So how will record labels release "albums" for listeners who want something other than background noise?
TIDAL can stream hi-res, and there is talk of a hi-res Spotify stream soon too.

My guess is that the people who really care about sound quality will seek out these services while others who favor convenience of using less data will stick with Apple Music and the data compressed streams.

I really don't see CDs dying too much. I can see why sales are down but I only see a slight reduction in clients that get CDs made. There is also a shift of clients doing short run duplication rather than larger replication orders.

I guess I tend to work with smaller artists/bands that are still doing smaller and mid-size gigs where people of a certain age still want to buy a CD.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by robert82 View Post
I think the point I was making was not about the physical object aspect of the CD, or for that matter, the LP.

I had a big collection of obscure music on LP, and after umpteen moves and some unfortunate hot car interiors, I gave them away. I wish I had digitized those!
Much of what I had is now very out of print, in any format.

And now I see the risk, with the slow death of the CD, of even more obscure (and wonderful!) music slipping into the void. Unless of course worthy individuals or institutions go to the trouble of digitizing all that gold out on the "long tail"* of our cultural commonwealth.

*Long tail - Wikipedia
You are exactly right, it is up to us to preserve the obscure back catalog to which we ascribe value. No one else will do it.

As for files on a drive evaporating in a crash, we all have multi-layered back-ups of our work for clients in one form or another for some time frame that we determine to be important.
It's easier and cheaper to digitize and make clones of catalogs of irreplaceable personal faves than ever in history.
A couple of 1Tb hard drives and you have 1000 CDs tucked away with a back up copy for under $100.00US
That's the price of 10 new CDs.
Plug that into the high end player with the USB port and off you go.

That said, I still miss 12" vinyl albums. Not only was the cover artwork a big part of the package, it's really hard to clean seeds on a RAID drive....
Old 1 week ago
Motown legend

Verified Member
I agree that the optical player's days are numbered and the lasers in the existing ones go bad after about a decade.

The CD almost died once but the computer industry saved it by releasing applications on CDs and including an optical transport in all computers. I can't tell you how many people I know who's very first CD player was a computer.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by FabienTDR View Post
With luck, the best you'll find is a DVD player connected to a TV. Much more common will be a TV connected to Amazon Prime or Netflix, maybe Spotify, and no CD compatible player. In 2018 I don't see a point in producing expensive and immobile plastic garbage for antiquarians.

Most youngsters maturing this year haven't ever touched a CD in their life.
This is exactly what I was playing with in the high end retail Home Theater / HiFi shop last weekend.
Multi-format disc player with a USB port. Menu of what's on the USB device comes up on the TV screen. Player doesn't care what it is, it will play whatever media is on there.

Since getting Netflix online to the big TV at home, our physical delivery of Netflix DVD has dropped by 80%. There are still things in their catalog only on disc but that's only a matter of time and money for that transition to happen.

In Mexican flea markets around here you can buy thumbdrives loaded with ripped music by the genre. That's the low end of the market coming to meet the same transition.

I'm not endorsing nor detracting any of this, just observing it as an interested party who wants to service my client who does have to deal with all of this.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Olhsson View Post
The CD almost died once but the computer industry saved it by releasing applications on CDs and including an optical transport in all computers. I can't tell you how many people I know who's very first CD player was a computer.
Yeah, you obviously don't run a Mac . . .
Macbooks don't have CD drives, haven't for a few years. Such a pain having to plug a separate drive into a USB hub.

But I agree with the consensus that digital storage is cheap and the way of the future.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Moran View Post
That said, I still miss 12" vinyl albums. Not only was the cover artwork a big part of the package, it's really hard to clean seeds on a RAID drive....
very true, but seeds? in this day and age? you gotta find a new guy.

Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonlinear View Post
So how will record labels release "albums" for listeners who want something other than background noise?
I'm waiting for Apple to flick a switch and make at least their existing (24 bit) MFiT catalogue ALAC. I'd certainly pay extra per track for it.

There's also the potential to do what Spotify have done (at least to the desktop platform) and include some credits.
Old 1 week ago
Motown legend

Verified Member
Quote:
Yeah, you obviously don't run a Mac . . .
Macbooks don't have CD drives, haven't for a few years. Such a pain having to plug a separate drive into a USB hub.

But I agree with the consensus that digital storage is cheap and the way of the future.
I'm talking about CDs going away in the '90s.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear
i thought the 90s was when most cds were sold.
Old 6 days ago
Motown legend

Verified Member
The '90s was when CD-ROM players appeared in computers.
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

I MUCH prefer flicking through a rack of CDs than scrolling through a screen of thumbnails/spreadsheet of music in iTunes or whatever.

Just because I can rip all my CDs to my computer doesn’t mean I want to.

You know one of the things which really sucks about the way and pace with which modern technology evolves is this dumb-ass ‘herd’ mentality. Sure there have always been trends and ‘latest tech’, but I can’t believe so many people seem to actively be against me holding on to the technology which I’ve 1) invested a lot of money in and 2) still get a lot of enjoyment from.
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexK View Post
I MUCH prefer flicking through a rack of CDs than scrolling through a screen of thumbnails/spreadsheet of music in iTunes or whatever.

Just because I can rip all my CDs to my computer doesn’t mean I want to.

You know one of the things which really sucks about the way and pace with which modern technology evolves is this dumb-ass ‘herd’ mentality. Sure there have always been trends and ‘latest tech’, but I can’t believe so many people seem to actively be against me holding on to the technology which I’ve 1) invested a lot of money in and 2) still get a lot of enjoyment from.
I guess you can just stay out of the passing lane then while us edgy peeps speed on by ...
right to the same stoplight, because after all,
"we were going places".
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin P. View Post
TIDAL can stream hi-res, and there is talk of a hi-res Spotify stream soon too.

My guess is that the people who really care about sound quality will seek out these services while others who favor convenience of using less data will stick with Apple Music and the data compressed streams.

I really don't see CDs dying too much. I can see why sales are down but I only see a slight reduction in clients that get CDs made. There is also a shift of clients doing short run duplication rather than larger replication orders.

I guess I tend to work with smaller artists/bands that are still doing smaller and mid-size gigs where people of a certain age still want to buy a CD.
quoted for truth!

we also work with peeps of all ages, from teens to 80s.

most still want a CD-R “master” of their record, if only to keep in their archives.

we've all seen digital media crash & burn.

optical media if stored properly can last for 20+ years.

analogue tape on the other hand can last for 50+ years.

agreed the younger are less likely to want CDs, as they embrace newer tech asap.

i like it all, CD, Vinyl, Tape, HD Wav, Standard Wav & AIF, and the lossy formats for convenience.

i generally listen to Tidal HiFi on my iPhone 6S+ while cooking breakfast every morning.

my iphone has 128GB so plenty of room for downloads.

we also like books, both hard copy and audible, perhaps of even the same titles!

best, JT
Old 5 days ago
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear
i really love bandcamp. i wish their streaming sounded better but otherwise they are great in every way.
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poinzy View Post
Oh no! Where will I go for awesome titles like 'The Best of Three Dog Night' or 'A Perry Como Christmas' now?
Whats wrong with Three Dog Night? (Except you never knew who was in the band and how much of them.) Of course I know whats wrong with Perry Como...
Old 4 days ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteaxxxe View Post
Whats wrong with Three Dog Night? (Except you never knew who was in the band and how much of them.) Of course I know whats wrong with Perry Como...
I saw TDN, once, in Asbury Park, NJ, in 1974, when they were promoting 'Hard Labor' (which I think is an awesome album). Now people are like "Three Dog Who?"

My Mom liked Perry Como. I'm still trying to figure that one out.
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poinzy View Post
I saw TDN, once, in Asbury Park, NJ, in 1974, when they were promoting 'Hard Labor' (which I think is an awesome album). Now people are like "Three Dog Who?"

My Mom liked Perry Como. I'm still trying to figure that one out.
If you lived in Jersey and your mom liked Perry Como, wow, that's a no-brainer!
Old 4 days ago
Quote:
Sounds like the future of music to me. Great read, thanks!
If you haven't done it before, I can warmly recommend to try out how nice their models feel in real life. Try buying an album, or even by uploading and selling your music.

I assess huge potential to fair, honest and transparent business models, in particular in the form of a counter trend to megalomaniac centralization, loss of control and huge costs (indirect maybe, but the profitability became symbolic at best).

GOG.com is such an example, bandcamp too of course (sure their slightly immature name afraid me at first, but their service is just impeccable).

While not really mainstream yet, these platforms reached impressive scales over the last few years. They could well become the next "ish", in another overhyped "back to the roots" movement, and kill spotify or whoever along the way. I think that most of us here haven't forgotten how incredibly substantial Myspace was for artists a few years ago: No Myspace page and you didn't exist. How quickly things change!

Back to the OP. Bandcamp both handles CDs and Vinyl really well, but primarily hosts your music perpetually. Lossless! Best of all worlds.
Fees are super low, service absolutely unreached on this planet (e.g. you can directly contact your customers, generate gift codes, change prices the way you like, there are no fixed costs, pay what you want, and and).
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear
yep. i use it from both an artist's and a fan's perspective and both are a pleasure.

it also makes grabbing clients' cover art for my own clients page super easy!
Old 4 days ago
Motown legend

Verified Member
Best Buy helped put the independent record stores out of business by selling CDs at a loss in order to bring in customers. Those independent stores played a huge role in breaking new artists and helping local radio stations decide what to play.
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Olhsson View Post
Best Buy helped put the independent record stores out of business by selling CDs at a loss in order to bring in customers. Those independent stores played a huge role in breaking new artists and helping local radio stations decide what to play.
yeah, i like to go to best buy, which is only blocks from our studio, for hard drives, video monitors & mac accessories.

but for CDs & Vinyl LPs we have 3 GREAT indie record stores here in Austin:

Antone’s Records which specializes in blues and retro rock:

Home | Antone's Record Shop

Waterloo Records, comprehensive selection:

Waterloo Records - Home

and End of an Ear, which markets to hipster generation:

End of an Ear

so i won’t miss the cd racks at BB at all.

best, jt

p.s. and we have numerous outstanding local fm radio stations, that plays lots of local & regional music.
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

Verified Member
If Best Buy was using them as a loss leader to draw customers into the store who would also buy other profitable items (which is exactly what they were doing, a very standard retail marketing trick used across many consumer oriented retail markets), it is the take on the market change that makes CD no longer viable as a draw. That's the important data point. It's no longer a draw in the opinion of Best Buy marketing directors.

I wouldn't expect the more sophisticated music consumer to shop there, but teens, pre-teens and people shopping in general for gift items would. That's a pretty decently sized market. Now they have to go somewhere else out of their way.
Mentioned Products
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search