The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Best Buy to Stop Selling CDs Studio Monitors
Old 7th February 2018
  #31
Lives for gear
 
Justin P.'s Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonlinear View Post
CDs are nearly obsolete and vinyl is a niche market. Most streaming and "satellite radio" is highly compressed and sound like ****e, IMHO.

So how will record labels release "albums" for listeners who want something other than background noise?
TIDAL can stream hi-res, and there is talk of a hi-res Spotify stream soon too.

My guess is that the people who really care about sound quality will seek out these services while others who favor convenience of using less data will stick with Apple Music and the data compressed streams.

I really don't see CDs dying too much. I can see why sales are down but I only see a slight reduction in clients that get CDs made. There is also a shift of clients doing short run duplication rather than larger replication orders.

I guess I tend to work with smaller artists/bands that are still doing smaller and mid-size gigs where people of a certain age still want to buy a CD.
Old 7th February 2018
  #32
Lives for gear
 
John Moran's Avatar
 

Thread Starter
Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by robert82 View Post
I think the point I was making was not about the physical object aspect of the CD, or for that matter, the LP.

I had a big collection of obscure music on LP, and after umpteen moves and some unfortunate hot car interiors, I gave them away. I wish I had digitized those!
Much of what I had is now very out of print, in any format.

And now I see the risk, with the slow death of the CD, of even more obscure (and wonderful!) music slipping into the void. Unless of course worthy individuals or institutions go to the trouble of digitizing all that gold out on the "long tail"* of our cultural commonwealth.

*Long tail - Wikipedia
You are exactly right, it is up to us to preserve the obscure back catalog to which we ascribe value. No one else will do it.

As for files on a drive evaporating in a crash, we all have multi-layered back-ups of our work for clients in one form or another for some time frame that we determine to be important.
It's easier and cheaper to digitize and make clones of catalogs of irreplaceable personal faves than ever in history.
A couple of 1Tb hard drives and you have 1000 CDs tucked away with a back up copy for under $100.00US
That's the price of 10 new CDs.
Plug that into the high end player with the USB port and off you go.

That said, I still miss 12" vinyl albums. Not only was the cover artwork a big part of the package, it's really hard to clean seeds on a RAID drive....
Old 7th February 2018
  #33
Motown legend
 
Bob Olhsson's Avatar
 

Verified Member
I agree that the optical player's days are numbered and the lasers in the existing ones go bad after about a decade.

The CD almost died once but the computer industry saved it by releasing applications on CDs and including an optical transport in all computers. I can't tell you how many people I know who's very first CD player was a computer.
Old 8th February 2018
  #34
Lives for gear
 
John Moran's Avatar
 

Thread Starter
Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by FabienTDR View Post
With luck, the best you'll find is a DVD player connected to a TV. Much more common will be a TV connected to Amazon Prime or Netflix, maybe Spotify, and no CD compatible player. In 2018 I don't see a point in producing expensive and immobile plastic garbage for antiquarians.

Most youngsters maturing this year haven't ever touched a CD in their life.
This is exactly what I was playing with in the high end retail Home Theater / HiFi shop last weekend.
Multi-format disc player with a USB port. Menu of what's on the USB device comes up on the TV screen. Player doesn't care what it is, it will play whatever media is on there.

Since getting Netflix online to the big TV at home, our physical delivery of Netflix DVD has dropped by 80%. There are still things in their catalog only on disc but that's only a matter of time and money for that transition to happen.

In Mexican flea markets around here you can buy thumbdrives loaded with ripped music by the genre. That's the low end of the market coming to meet the same transition.

I'm not endorsing nor detracting any of this, just observing it as an interested party who wants to service my client who does have to deal with all of this.
Old 8th February 2018
  #35
Lives for gear
 
robert82's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Olhsson View Post
The CD almost died once but the computer industry saved it by releasing applications on CDs and including an optical transport in all computers. I can't tell you how many people I know who's very first CD player was a computer.
Yeah, you obviously don't run a Mac . . .
Macbooks don't have CD drives, haven't for a few years. Such a pain having to plug a separate drive into a USB hub.

But I agree with the consensus that digital storage is cheap and the way of the future.
Old 8th February 2018
  #36
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Moran View Post
That said, I still miss 12" vinyl albums. Not only was the cover artwork a big part of the package, it's really hard to clean seeds on a RAID drive....
very true, but seeds? in this day and age? you gotta find a new guy.

Old 9th February 2018
  #37
Lives for gear
 
Adam Dempsey's Avatar
 

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonlinear View Post
So how will record labels release "albums" for listeners who want something other than background noise?
I'm waiting for Apple to flick a switch and make at least their existing (24 bit) MFiT catalogue ALAC. I'd certainly pay extra per track for it.

There's also the potential to do what Spotify have done (at least to the desktop platform) and include some credits.
Old 10th February 2018
  #38
Motown legend
 
Bob Olhsson's Avatar
 

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by robert82 View Post
Yeah, you obviously don't run a Mac . . .
Macbooks don't have CD drives, haven't for a few years. Such a pain having to plug a separate drive into a USB hub.

But I agree with the consensus that digital storage is cheap and the way of the future.
I'm talking about CDs going away in the '90s.
Old 11th February 2018
  #39
Lives for gear
i thought the 90s was when most cds were sold.
Old 11th February 2018
  #40
Motown legend
 
Bob Olhsson's Avatar
 

Verified Member
The '90s was when CD-ROM players appeared in computers.
Old 12th February 2018
  #41
Lives for gear
 
AlexK's Avatar
 

I MUCH prefer flicking through a rack of CDs than scrolling through a screen of thumbnails/spreadsheet of music in iTunes or whatever.

Just because I can rip all my CDs to my computer doesn’t mean I want to.

You know one of the things which really sucks about the way and pace with which modern technology evolves is this dumb-ass ‘herd’ mentality. Sure there have always been trends and ‘latest tech’, but I can’t believe so many people seem to actively be against me holding on to the technology which I’ve 1) invested a lot of money in and 2) still get a lot of enjoyment from.
Old 12th February 2018
  #42
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexK View Post
I MUCH prefer flicking through a rack of CDs than scrolling through a screen of thumbnails/spreadsheet of music in iTunes or whatever.

Just because I can rip all my CDs to my computer doesn’t mean I want to.

You know one of the things which really sucks about the way and pace with which modern technology evolves is this dumb-ass ‘herd’ mentality. Sure there have always been trends and ‘latest tech’, but I can’t believe so many people seem to actively be against me holding on to the technology which I’ve 1) invested a lot of money in and 2) still get a lot of enjoyment from.
I guess you can just stay out of the passing lane then while us edgy peeps speed on by ...
right to the same stoplight, because after all,
"we were going places".
Old 13th February 2018
  #43
Lives for gear
 
Jerry Tubb's Avatar
 

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin P. View Post
TIDAL can stream hi-res, and there is talk of a hi-res Spotify stream soon too.

My guess is that the people who really care about sound quality will seek out these services while others who favor convenience of using less data will stick with Apple Music and the data compressed streams.

I really don't see CDs dying too much. I can see why sales are down but I only see a slight reduction in clients that get CDs made. There is also a shift of clients doing short run duplication rather than larger replication orders.

I guess I tend to work with smaller artists/bands that are still doing smaller and mid-size gigs where people of a certain age still want to buy a CD.
quoted for truth!

we also work with peeps of all ages, from teens to 80s.

most still want a CD-R “master” of their record, if only to keep in their archives.

we've all seen digital media crash & burn.

optical media if stored properly can last for 20+ years.

analogue tape on the other hand can last for 50+ years.

agreed the younger are less likely to want CDs, as they embrace newer tech asap.

i like it all, CD, Vinyl, Tape, HD Wav, Standard Wav & AIF, and the lossy formats for convenience.

i generally listen to Tidal HiFi on my iPhone 6S+ while cooking breakfast every morning.

my iphone has 128GB so plenty of room for downloads.

we also like books, both hard copy and audible, perhaps of even the same titles!

best, JT
Old 13th February 2018
  #44
Old 13th February 2018
  #45
Lives for gear
 
robert82's Avatar
Old 13th February 2018
  #46
Lives for gear
i really love bandcamp. i wish their streaming sounded better but otherwise they are great in every way.
Old 13th February 2018
  #47
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poinzy View Post
Oh no! Where will I go for awesome titles like 'The Best of Three Dog Night' or 'A Perry Como Christmas' now?
Whats wrong with Three Dog Night? (Except you never knew who was in the band and how much of them.) Of course I know whats wrong with Perry Como...
Old 13th February 2018
  #48
Gear Addict
 
Poinzy's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteaxxxe View Post
Whats wrong with Three Dog Night? (Except you never knew who was in the band and how much of them.) Of course I know whats wrong with Perry Como...
I saw TDN, once, in Asbury Park, NJ, in 1974, when they were promoting 'Hard Labor' (which I think is an awesome album). Now people are like "Three Dog Who?"

My Mom liked Perry Como. I'm still trying to figure that one out.
Old 14th February 2018
  #49
Lives for gear
 
robert82's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poinzy View Post
I saw TDN, once, in Asbury Park, NJ, in 1974, when they were promoting 'Hard Labor' (which I think is an awesome album). Now people are like "Three Dog Who?"

My Mom liked Perry Como. I'm still trying to figure that one out.
If you lived in Jersey and your mom liked Perry Como, wow, that's a no-brainer!
Old 14th February 2018
  #50
Quote:
Originally Posted by robert82 View Post
Sounds like the future of music to me. Great read, thanks!
If you haven't done it before, I can warmly recommend to try out how nice their models feel in real life. Try buying an album, or even by uploading and selling your music.

I assess huge potential to fair, honest and transparent business models, in particular in the form of a counter trend to megalomaniac centralization, loss of control and huge costs (indirect maybe, but the profitability became symbolic at best).

GOG.com is such an example, bandcamp too of course (sure their slightly immature name afraid me at first, but their service is just impeccable).

While not really mainstream yet, these platforms reached impressive scales over the last few years. They could well become the next "ish", in another overhyped "back to the roots" movement, and kill spotify or whoever along the way. I think that most of us here haven't forgotten how incredibly substantial Myspace was for artists a few years ago: No Myspace page and you didn't exist. How quickly things change!

Back to the OP. Bandcamp both handles CDs and Vinyl really well, but primarily hosts your music perpetually. Lossless! Best of all worlds.
Fees are super low, service absolutely unreached on this planet (e.g. you can directly contact your customers, generate gift codes, change prices the way you like, there are no fixed costs, pay what you want, and and).
Old 14th February 2018
  #51
Lives for gear
yep. i use it from both an artist's and a fan's perspective and both are a pleasure.

it also makes grabbing clients' cover art for my own clients page super easy!
Old 14th February 2018
  #52
Motown legend
 
Bob Olhsson's Avatar
 

Verified Member
Best Buy helped put the independent record stores out of business by selling CDs at a loss in order to bring in customers. Those independent stores played a huge role in breaking new artists and helping local radio stations decide what to play.
Old 14th February 2018
  #53
Lives for gear
 
Jerry Tubb's Avatar
 

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Olhsson View Post
Best Buy helped put the independent record stores out of business by selling CDs at a loss in order to bring in customers. Those independent stores played a huge role in breaking new artists and helping local radio stations decide what to play.
yeah, i like to go to best buy, which is only blocks from our studio, for hard drives, video monitors & mac accessories.

but for CDs & Vinyl LPs we have 3 GREAT indie record stores here in Austin:

Antone’s Records which specializes in blues and retro rock:

Home | Antone's Record Shop

Waterloo Records, comprehensive selection:

Waterloo Records - Home

and End of an Ear, which markets to hipster generation:

End of an Ear

so i won’t miss the cd racks at BB at all.

best, jt

p.s. and we have numerous outstanding local fm radio stations, that plays lots of local & regional music.
Old 14th February 2018
  #54
Lives for gear
 
John Moran's Avatar
 

Thread Starter
Verified Member
If Best Buy was using them as a loss leader to draw customers into the store who would also buy other profitable items (which is exactly what they were doing, a very standard retail marketing trick used across many consumer oriented retail markets), it is the take on the market change that makes CD no longer viable as a draw. That's the important data point. It's no longer a draw in the opinion of Best Buy marketing directors.

I wouldn't expect the more sophisticated music consumer to shop there, but teens, pre-teens and people shopping in general for gift items would. That's a pretty decently sized market. Now they have to go somewhere else out of their way.
Old 4th March 2018
  #55
Gear Maniac
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonlinear View Post
So how will record labels release "albums" for listeners who want something other than background noise?
I do not think labels will like they have in the past , cd funded making the art for a lot of labels and self releasing artists , time = money , to fund making a good album takes an income from it or financial return or some other job.

You cant offset losses from cd sales with digital , once music was digitized a majority i think decided it was worthless or it gave them an excuse to treat it as that .They became loyal followers of a new religion ' digital convenience ' abd the ' content provider ' and now just empower a parasite or 3 and its share holders who use small artists and labels as slave labour .

Cd was never ideal , neither was vinyl , i would have prefered vinyl sized product with cd quality + some , a lot of music from the past on cd could not be pressed on vinyl for various reasons , as a medium vinyl is way more expensive to press , store , ship , handle etc as a small business or self releasing artist.

Without cd as a medium i think you could remove a lot of music releases from history also as the sale of those cd was how the labels and artists made an income and worked full time on music recording , now ? now its fked for most of those people as you cannot get a return on the energy you put in , a larger % of humans now decided they do not want to pay properly for music and they prefer the cheap option and also as its ' convenient ' .

I think its rather sad the way its all gone a bit and indicates maybe digital convenience is just another slave mechanism and also a form of cult or worship of the convenient no matter what the disruptive nature of it.( disruptive being 1000's of artists losing an income and with no one seeming to give a fk as long as they get cheap fast music food )

Last edited by leaf studios; 4th March 2018 at 08:12 PM..
Old 4th March 2018
  #56
Lives for gear
 
Thomas W. Bethe's Avatar
 

Verified Member
Old 4th March 2018
  #57
Lives for gear
 
Thomas W. Bethe's Avatar
 

Verified Member
I have about 700 CDs and I am NOT going to put them on a computer hard drive - NO THANK YOU VERY MUCH!

I keep asking all of my friends who have large collections of CDs and DVDs on the "Cloud", I ask what happens if the "Cloud" provider goes belly up or if you no longer can get access to your material? I keep getting these blank stares like WTF are you talking about? I like to keep my DVD and CD collection where I can have access to it when I want to. Just for the record NO I do not like MP3's and YES I have a large collection of vinyl. Analog rules in my book.
Old 4th March 2018
  #58
Motown legend
 
Bob Olhsson's Avatar
 

Verified Member
It's just 1967 all over again. An album is more than just a bunch of songs. It's a complete package including compelling graphics. I can imagine something that looks very much like a 12" vinyl album cover that plugs into a Bluetooth transmitter. The CD being dead could turn out to be a good thing.
Old 4th March 2018
  #59
Gear Maniac
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas W. Bethe View Post
I have about 700 CDs and I am NOT going to put them on a computer hard drive - NO THANK YOU VERY MUCH!

I keep asking all of my friends who have large collections of CDs and DVDs on the "Cloud", I ask what happens if the "Cloud" provider goes belly up or if you no longer can get access to your material? I keep getting these blank stares like WTF are you talking about? I like to keep my DVD and CD collection where I can have access to it when I want to. Just for the record NO I do not like MP3's and YES I have a large collection of vinyl. Analog rules in my book.
the problem i see it is new mediums and ' clouds ' etc make humans yet again slaves to a corporate parasite , people are just feeding big business which bankrupts on multiple levels , google etc are parasites , people will end up enslaved by them if not already , look at facebook , its designed to be addictive and does little accept make people more and more self absorbed i think , posting pointless ****e and content which just empowers another corporation ,

People seem to have put their entire faith in 5 companies roughly like facebook , spotify , google , apple etc....its very odd and weak and also very dangerous , look at what some of these companies did for the well being of the worlds artists ? they basically ****ed the incomes of many of them causing endless stress , they call its ' disruption ' but what you have to understand is these big tech companies are soul less entities and do not care for artists who are just content providers, they will enslave people into their convenient product so they perpetuate their own power base and monopoly only , i see a world of weak digital slaves who just do not see what they are creating and supporting and probably wont until they are fully trapped in these ' convenient systems ' .

The idea is of course to eventually have humans at a concious level existing in the cloud or vr and slaves to ' reality providers ' , facebook 24 7 available in every room of your house or inside your head , a blind obedience to the service provider who will be god.

None of this empowers music right now or the people who should be rewarded , in a way its always been this way , the parasites always thrive as most humans are easily lead .
Old 4th March 2018
  #60
Gear Maniac
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas W. Bethe View Post
there are a few glimmers of hope but i think the majority sold out to their convenient content provider and wont switch to new streaming systems even if they know its supporting an act they love.Half the problem is people become kind of loyal fans more of the service provider than the music and digital convenience has encouraged a new form of apathetic consumption i feel.
Mentioned Products
Topic:
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump