The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
AES/EBU soundcard in 2018?
Old 3rd February 2018
Lives for gear

AES/EBU soundcard in 2018?

Hi, I'm looking for a great AES/EBU soundcard to go with my mac pro 5.1
The Lynx AES16 is still the one to get or there's better offerings these days?
Thanks!
Old 3rd February 2018
Lives for gear

Verified Member
I had the AES16e for a few years but after some minor annoyances with the Lynx Mixer app and some concern that their Syncrolock clocking technology can sound a little odd, I moved to an RME HDSPe AES and don't regret it:

RME: HDSPe AES

The sound and clocking is great and somehow smoother sounding than the Lynx, and I much prefer the new/current RME mixer software over the Lynx. As a bonus you get RME DigiCheck software too.

I also find RME forum support to be more helpful and friendly as opposed to Lynx who tend to be a little short and quick to blame the user rather than dig deep into the issue.

I have mine in a Sonnet Echo Express III-D TB chassis with a UAD-2 card and I am able to disconnect the fan cables for totally silent operation.
Old 3rd February 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin P. View Post
The sound and clocking is great and somehow smoother sounding than the Lynx, and I much prefer the new/current RME mixer software over the Lynx. As a bonus you get RME DigiCheck software too.
thanks Justin
I didn't know AES/EBU could sound different from one to another soundcard?
Old 3rd February 2018
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by KIDBILL View Post
thanks Justin
I didn't know AES/EBU could sound different from one to another soundcard?
I think it's about the internal clocking.

There's been a thread or two on here and elsewhere about Lynx Syncrolock sounding strange.

Take it with a grain of salt but when I heard the RME it was clear to me.
Old 3rd February 2018
Lives for gear

Thanks, I think if my converter is set to "internal clock" (the soundcard being the slave) then they all should sound the same?

Last edited by KIDBILL; 3rd February 2018 at 04:26 AM..
Old 3rd February 2018
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Somebody also mentioned the MOTU 8D if you only need a few AES/SPIDF I/O but I've never used it or heard any feedback about it.

MOTU.com - Overview
Old 3rd February 2018
Gear Maniac

I am using a Motu 112d with no issues. love it actually. clocking it with mytek 8x192.
Old 3rd February 2018
Gear Addict

Quote:

I have mine in a Sonnet Echo Express III-D TB chassis with a UAD-2 card and I am able to disconnect the fan cables for totally silent operation.
How loud is the Sonnet Express fan?
Have one on the way atm and have been wondering re the fan noise in reality compared to what the website says.

Aiming to do a shootout of the Lynx vs RME once it arrives and see how they compare/null
Old 3rd February 2018
Deleted 691ca21
I second the RME HDSPe AES. Been in daily use for over seven years here, with not a single problem, ever.
Old 3rd February 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by KIDBILL View Post
Hi, I'm looking for a great AES/EBU soundcard to go with my mac pro 5.1
The Lynx AES16 is still the one to get or there's better offerings these days?
Thanks!
check this out. MARIAN Professional Line: Seraph D4
Old 3rd February 2018
Lives for gear

Verified Member
all madi here - but with rme-qsm ad/da and rme-642 madi/aes for conversion to/from aes
Old 3rd February 2018
Lives for gear

Verified Member
+1 for the RME

But the Marian looks fine and it's not oversized like the RME for a mastering setup.
Old 3rd February 2018
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Been using 2 aes16 for the last 300 years with no issue whatsoever
Old 3rd February 2018
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Channel time View Post
How loud is the Sonnet Express fan?
Have one on the way atm and have been wondering re the fan noise in reality compared to what the website says.

Aiming to do a shootout of the Lynx vs RME once it arrives and see how they compare/null
I actually never tried it with the fan connected. I disconnected the fan before I ever turned it on. I don't use a machine room here so I need everything to be totally silent which it since I also use all SSD drives. No fans or mechanical noises.

When I was researching which TB chassis to get a few years ago, I went with the Echo Express III-D because somebody said they were able to easily disconnect the fan cable which is true. They explained that audio cards tend to run much cooler than video cards which appears to be true.

Over the years I've had a few different cards in there and never a heat issue.

I recently put in the Thunderbolt 3 adapter card to convert mine to Thunderbolt 3 for the iMac Pro. Super easy and no issues.

Please post the findings of your RME vs. Lynx AES card test.
Old 3rd February 2018
Gear Head

Quote:
Somebody also mentioned the MOTU 8D if you only need a few AES/SPIDF I/O but I've never used it or heard any feedback about it.

MOTU.com - Overview
Yeah. I finally got my new Motu 8D set up on my laptop and it works perfectly with my Lavry DA/AD. I'm using 2 stereo DAs and 1 stereo AD with it.

The setup is a little bit of a faff though. It's control software is set up through your internet browser but it works well. I did have an issue with the control software not fully working in High Sierra and so I had to set up my default IO on another mac running Mountain Lion. No problem there.

I think the idea is that someone who wants a complicated IO setup can hook up a number of these Motu units to create any configuration you might need using a network to connect and control them. There is also mixer software with internal DSP for for EQ Compression etc. Probably handy in location sound.
Old 4th February 2018
Lives for gear

MARIAN Professional Line: Seraph D4

Excellent option.
Old 5th February 2018
Lives for gear

Verified Member
many of us that use the Lynx AES16e turn off the SynchroLock feature.

quite happy with that scenario.

but there again, i haven't updated the firmware in awhile, maybe they've improved it.

the RME sounds like a good option.

jt
Old 5th February 2018
Lives for gear

Verified Member
+1 for the RME. It’s got both a Mytek 8x192 and an Aurora8 hooked up, with zero problems. Card and Aurora clocked from the Mytek, btw.

r,
j,
Old 5th February 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Tubb View Post
many of us that use the Lynx AES16e turn off the SynchroLock feature.
I was going to say this as well. I keep the SynchroLock setting off on my Lynx AES16e. When I first got the card I did a lot of listening/testing with it on and off and preferred it off. Results may vary based on the quality of your ADC clock though.
Old 4 weeks ago
Hey guys, I've weird wordclock problems with my Lynx AES16e src card, with clicks etc, and contemplating to switch to another AES PCIe card too...

I've just update everything driver and firmware wise (even macos just in case before the next apparently deadly Catalina release...)

On the lynx mixer the External wordclock signal is varying widely; that signal comes from my Dangerous Convert AD+ set to masterclock.

Now that could be a user error cause franqly I've read contradictory stories about T spliter and wordclock distributors degrading the signal, and ended up simply using two BNC T-splitters to send signal from AD+ to AES16e+Convert8+Hedd192... so maybe connecting two T together for this is creating some bad signal reflexions or something causing this varying wordclock signal?

Or is it just that the AES16e src doesn't take well being slaved by an external wordclock cable?
And so to continue with the topic of this thread, what would be 2019 best choice for AES PCIe card with rock solid slave wordclock?

I also just disabled synchrolock following previous advice here, will see if it chance something for the better, and right now i'm choosing the preferred source clock as the Digital In 1 which is the AES cable from AD+... is it a good idea or should I still go for trying to clock from the External BNC Input, if it ever stop to vary like crazy???

I'm a bit lost with all this and exasperated by those clocking issues, so, many thanks for your help guys!
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by E Artsy Moods View Post
Hey guys, I've weird wordclock problems with my Lynx AES16e src card, with clicks etc, and contemplating to switch to another AES PCIe card too...

I've just update everything driver and firmware wise (even macos just in case before the next apparently deadly Catalina release...)

On the lynx mixer the External wordclock signal is varying widely; that signal comes from my Dangerous Convert AD+ set to masterclock.

Now that could be a user error cause franqly I've read contradictory stories about T spliter and wordclock distributors degrading the signal, and ended up simply using two BNC T-splitters to send signal from AD+ to AES16e+Convert8+Hedd192... so maybe connecting two T together for this is creating some bad signal reflexions or something causing this varying wordclock signal?

Or is it just that the AES16e src doesn't take well being slaved by an external wordclock cable?
And so to continue with the topic of this thread, what would be 2019 best choice for AES PCIe card with rock solid slave wordclock?

I also just disabled synchrolock following previous advice here, will see if it chance something for the better, and right now i'm choosing the preferred source clock as the Digital In 1 which is the AES cable from AD+... is it a good idea or should I still go for trying to clock from the External BNC Input, if it ever stop to vary like crazy???

I'm a bit lost with all this and exasperated by those clocking issues, so, many thanks for your help guys!
RME is great !!!
But you don't need wordclock, clocking through AES is fine (maybe someone is gonna scream) and if your setup allows it, I would stay all bitclock (AES or ADAT....) never had anyissue with this.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

I'm probably going to try this miniDSP U-DIO8 AES/EBU to USB interface.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

A dante virtual soundcard and one of those simple dante/AES EBU units should work fine. You can also easily put several in a network.

https://www.thomann.de/nl/dante_avio...2dd5506e9e6bb4
Old 4 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saxnscratch View Post
RME is great !!!
But you don't need wordclock, clocking through AES is fine (maybe someone is gonna scream) and if your setup allows it, I would stay all bitclock (AES or ADAT....) never had anyissue with this.
Thanks for your help man
Old 4 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by huub View Post
A dante virtual soundcard and one of those simple dante/AES EBU units should work fine. You can also easily put several in a network.

https://www.thomann.de/nl/dante_avio...2dd5506e9e6bb4
I need this! very cool!
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Keep in mind that the Dante virtual soundcard can only have 1 hop.
So 1 switch with POE to power the adapters will work. A more complex network will not work and you have to buy a Dante hardware interface.
If you want very low latency a hardware dante solution is also advised.

That said, I use the dante virtual soundcard every once in a while, even to run live audio through it, and it seems to work totally fine thusfar.

Huub
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by E Artsy Moods View Post

I used to split wordclock with a T connector.
Until a colleague put the signal through a scope.
Using a T split results in rounded off waveforms, surely causing some timing issues.
I'm not sure if I can hear the difference but I'm not doing it anymore to be on the safe side.

Huub
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Still rocking the Lynx AES16e cards here, but Not the SRC version.

very stable and “sounds” great in that transparent way.

and still turning Off the SynchroLock feature.

JT

Last edited by Jerry Tubb; 3 weeks ago at 11:24 AM.. Reason: editing...it’s what we do
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Guru

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Spearritt View Post
I had the original version of this card and it was a good sounding (ie no sound of its own) card. I stupidly got rid of it. Good choice.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search