The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
What ceiling (-1 dBFS or -0.1 dBFS) to use for master prior to audio normalization?
Old 2nd February 2018
Gear Addict

What ceiling (-1 dBFS or -0.1 dBFS) to use for master prior to audio normalization?

So, when I normalize the audio, some files will have a ceiling of -1 dBFS (e.g. mixes for streaming), and some tend to have one of -0.1 dBFS (usually CD and demo mixes).

The file that gets normalized is the master file. When doing the mastering (prior to audio normalization), should it be mastered to a ceiling of -0.1 dBFS or -1 dBFS? In other words, would there be any issues from going to a mastered file hitting -0.1 dBFS up to -1 dBFS, or from going down from -0.1 dBFS to -1 dBFS? Is it better to have the volume "turned up" or "turned down" during audio normalization?

Conversely, should I just have two masters? One capping out at -1 dBFS and another at -0.1 dBFS; the files would then be normalized accordingly.

Also, if it matters, my masters seem to sit around -17 LUFS and I normalize it to -14 LUFS for streaming, around -9 LUFS for CD, and around -7.5 LUFS for demos.
Old 2nd February 2018
Lives for gear

Verified Member
There's no difference. Either way you'll have to dither again.

In 2018 where everything will eventually hit a codec, I set my limiter at -1dBFS for everything.
Old 4th February 2018
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Reierson View Post
There's no difference. Either way you'll have to dither again.

In 2018 where everything will eventually hit a codec, I set my limiter at -1dBFS for everything.
Sorry, but I do not follow. What does dithering do here? I was expecting to only either after normalization prior to converting down to 16 bit.
Old 4th February 2018
Lives for gear

Just export 2 versions (streaming / CD) at their respective settings, setting the limiter and dithering accordingly.

Or export at -0.1dbFS with dither (16-bit CD)... then also export without dither (32-bit FP) - re-import the export, turn volume down -0.9db and re-export for your streaming version (24-bit dither).
Old 4th February 2018
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by MogwaiBoy View Post
Just export 2 versions (streaming / CD) at their respective settings, setting the limiter and dithering accordingly.

Or export at -0.1dbFS with dither (16-bit CD)... then also export without dither (32-bit FP) - re-import the export, turn volume down -0.9db and re-export for your streaming version (24-bit dither).
Okay, got it. Thanks!
Old 4th February 2018
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by MogwaiBoy View Post
This.
Old 4th February 2018
Gear Addict

Quote:
This.
Okay, I’ll will have two types of masters then. One at -0.1 and another at -1. I’ll normalize those separately from there. Thanks!
Old 5th February 2018
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Why -0.1? It's guaranteed to clip when the end user converts it to MP3.
Old 6th February 2018
Gear Addict

Quote:
Why -0.1? It's guaranteed to clip when the end user converts it to MP3.
Oh, really??? I didn't know this. I thought -0.1 was the standard for things like CD. What would be a safe ceiling then? Thanks!
Old 6th February 2018
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Google "codec clipping." Search her on GS and elsewhere. Discussed to death, ad nauseum, etc...
Old 6th February 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glo View Post
Oh, really??? I didn't know this. I thought -0.1 was the standard for things like CD. What would be a safe ceiling then? Thanks!
Even the "CD standard" was largely considered to be -0.2dB back in the day. It was only a matter of time before it was discovered that -0.2dB wasn't enough for mp3, AAC, and other lossy encoding.

I commonly use -1.0dBFS as the output ceiling with a good true peak limiter.

Apps like Sonnox ProCodec can help easily tell you if a WAV is going to clip after mp3 or AAC encoding.

Use the Google.
Old 6th February 2018
Lives for gear

pardon my ignorance...

is normalizing post mastering something that is common? Wouldn't this affect the noise introduced by dithering? I have never heard of normalizing in any way other than giving the fader some extra room? Could someone clarify?

thanks
Old 6th February 2018
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin P. View Post
Even the "CD standard" was largely considered to be -0.2dB back in the day. It was only a matter of time before it was discovered that -0.2dB wasn't enough for mp3, AAC, and other lossy encoding.
The CD standard back in the day (PCM 1610/1630 masters) was no overs* (defined as 4 consecutive words above 0dBFS). Any overs and the 1630 Master was literally rejected at replication. Hence a final (real-time) pass via the DTA-2000 (Sony analyzer) and a dot matrix printer was also standard. And we don't miss any of that much at all.

*This was later considered lowered (eg -0.3dBFS) to play it safer with oversampling DACs in CD players.

Last edited by Adam Dempsey; 6th February 2018 at 10:32 AM..
Old 6th February 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by XKAudio View Post
pardon my ignorance...

is normalizing post mastering something that is common? Wouldn't this affect the noise introduced by dithering? I have never heard of normalizing in any way other than giving the fader some extra room? Could someone clarify?

thanks
I also got a little confused. Why normalizing after bouncing?

PS: I think I got it, the OP normalizes loudness to 14 dB LUFS. Not peak normalization
Old 6th February 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by stardustmedia View Post

PS: I think I got it, the OP normalizes loudness to 14 dB LUFS. Not peak normalization
Ah that makes sense.
Old 6th February 2018
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Dempsey View Post
*This was later considered lowered (eg -0.3dBFS) to play it safer with oversampling DACs in CD players.
yes, i remember when the late Michael Gerzon sent out an email in the mid 90s advising evryone using his “new” L1 limiter plug-in to set the peak ceiling at -0.3dB to avoid clipping on playback.

eons ago :~}

best, jt
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search