The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
A/B Comparision "line in/Reference track" plugin? Metering & Analysis Plugins
Old 19th January 2018
Gear Nut

A/B Comparision "line in/Reference track" plugin?

Hi everyone!
Is there a plugin to A/B between post hardware listening "not recorded yet line" and
the original track at same volume?

Greetings!

jj
Old 19th January 2018
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnyJoe View Post
Hi everyone!
Is there a plugin to A/B between post hardware listening "not recorded yet line" and
the original track at same volume?

Greetings!

jj
I use the workstation playlist and mixer (SADiE in my case): I have two tracks, both with an in-sync copy of the clip being worked on. The bottom track is in record-ready, and the top track feeds the hardware chain, with its output routed the the bottom track's input, switchable in the software to either hear the unprocessed clip on the bottom track, or the chain's output.

My last process in the chain has an adjustable output: I drop this by the amount of gain in the chain (usually provided by a compressor), and turn the monitor loudspeaker gain up by the same amount. This gives me level-matched auditioning, switchable pre and post processing, at the correct room volume. Once I'm happy with the processing, the end-chain processor gain comes back up, the monitor gain goes down and I record over the duplicate clip.

A text explanation comes across as far more clunky and time-consuming than it in fact is: it's been my standard way of working for some years and is very quick to use - you should be able to set something similar up in any DAW with a bit of thought.

Last edited by lowland; 19th January 2018 at 05:48 PM..
Old 19th January 2018
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Similar to Nigel. Track 1 is what I'm working on and track 2 is refs with no processing. Configure solos / mutes and it's one click.
Old 19th January 2018
Lives for gear

Similar to Nigel and Greg.

There is Perception by Ian Shepherd/MeterPlugs Perception: eliminate "loudness deception" (AAX, AU and VST)

Or a simple google search turns up some other options: loudness match a b plugin - Google Search

I haven't used any of them.

Last edited by SmoothTone; 20th January 2018 at 01:43 PM..
Old 19th January 2018
Gear Addict

Meterplugs perception is really really handy.
Definitely worth having a play with and see if it fits with your workflow
Old 20th January 2018
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowland View Post
I use the workstation playlist and mixer (SADiE in my case): I have two tracks, both with an in-sync copy of the clip being worked on. The bottom track is in record-ready, and the top track feeds the hardware chain, with its output routed the the bottom track's input, switchable in the software to either hear the unprocessed clip on the bottom track, or the chain's output.

My last process in the chain has an adjustable output: I drop this by the amount of gain in the chain (usually provided by a compressor), and turn the monitor loudspeaker gain up by the same amount. This gives me level-matched auditioning, switchable pre and post processing, at the correct room volume. Once I'm happy with the processing, the end-chain processor gain comes back up, the monitor gain goes down and I record over the duplicate clip.

A text explanation comes across as far more clunky and time-consuming than it in fact is: it's been my standard way of working for some years and is very quick to use - you should be able to set something similar up in any DAW with a bit of thought.
Really clever way to go...
Big thanks everybody.

jj
Old 20th January 2018
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Do that all with my Crookwood in hardware, can pretty much monitor anywhere in the chain at the touch of a button, before, during or after processing, with matched volumes.
Old 20th January 2018
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Just to mention the other side of the coin:

As important as listening to mix and master at matched level may be to me and many other MEs, Denis Blackham for one has probably never done this in his entire lengthy and illustrious career; yet it clearly hasn't done him any harm, and I would be surprised if he's the only one working that way.

Denis Blackham - Wikipedia
Top Mentioned Products
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search