The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
SPL DMC - new 2018 MASTERING CONSOLE Monitor Controllers
Old 19th January 2018
Gear Head

SPL DMC - new 2018 MASTERING CONSOLE

SPL has a new BIG 3u mastering console !!!!! (and one smaller 2u console).
So far, I only see a fragment of 3 photos from SPL facebook. The premiere will be on NAMM.

I wanted to buy Maselec MTC-1, but I'm still waiting for DMC detail. This machine looks promising :-)

hmmm ... New red DMC looks like an upgraded original old DMC. .... $ 13,000.00 ($ 7,000.00)

Last edited by JIRI PASKA; 25th January 2018 at 01:23 PM..
Old 20th January 2018
Lives for gear

And indeed it is an upgrade from the old DMC

All 120v discrete opamps powered, all the function of the previous version and more...at a more "affordable" price

Now it is not as "processing" orientated as the Maselec (no eq filters as far as I know) but more focused on monitoring and the "source/destination" principle. Trim switches at all stages, recording level and so on...It also provides all the connections necessary to work with all their forthcoming mastering units...and there's quite a lot to come
Old 20th January 2018
Gear Head

thanks for the info
Now I'm using Cranesong Avocet. Dave Hill told me At Frankfurt music messe, he definitely did not want to do it like a rack unit (without controller). I need a rack device, and important source-destination routing. SPL DMC looks very good for my needs. Process M/S, Filters, etc. I do not necessarily need in mastering console, I have external.
....I'm waiting for the price! :-)
Old 20th January 2018
Lives for gear

Yes the monitoring section on this is very complete, and most of all sounds so damn good. First time I heard the Phonitor plugged via their "monitor" module, I rediscovered my monitoring system "again"...that was really something, never thought it would be that much. Also on the picture you posted with the big NAMM written you can see another unit in the background wich complete the whole system, wait until you see this thing too
Old 25th January 2018
Deleted User
Quote:
Originally Posted by the unik View Post
Also on the picture you posted with the big NAMM written you can see another unit in the background wich complete the whole system, wait until you see this thing too
Is this what you are referring to?

Pity the MC16 doesn't support NHK 22.2, but it seems to provide for all the Home Atmos formats (up to 9.1.6), Auro-3D and IMAX.

The new DMC looks like a worthy upgrade, which is apparently half the cost of the previous generation, but with better specs.

The Phonitor output and GPI button are brilliant additions.

Last edited by reynaud; 25th January 2018 at 01:17 PM..
Old 25th January 2018
Gear Head

The new DMC stereo mastering console is engineered from the ground-up making it not only more flexible with better specs than SPL’s previous console, but also more ergonomic and sized to fit in all types of studio furniture.

The 3RU console has 4 stereo inputs and 4 stereo sources, with 2 stereo recording outputs, as well as 3 stereo and 2 mono speaker outputs that can be expanded with the new MC16 controller.

The new DMC console operates on the same unequaled 120V DC audio rail like each of the other SPL Mastering Series processors.

Old 25th January 2018
Gear Maniac

The DMC has no bypass per insert.... only a general chain bypass and loop.
If you do not have hard bypass on every gear, we still need something like the Liaison or Backbone.

If it it's half of the price of a Maselec MTC-1, maybe. It seems that it has been designed for an all SPL setup....

If it's the same price, better to go with MTC-1, 10x more options.
Old 25th January 2018
Looks nice and all, but I have the feeling most Me's could have benefited from a few less speaker selections, maybe even less source destination selections, and a few more insert points. I supposed everyone has a different workflow.
Old 25th January 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by the3030club View Post
Looks nice and all, but I have the feeling most Me's could have benefited from a few less speaker selections, maybe even less source destination selections, and a few more insert points. I supposed everyone has a different workflow.
Yeah, it seems slightly misguided though I did read they will be releasing some additional add-ons later this year so I think the idea would be to connect whatever they are planning to release (probably similar to Liaison) to the one insert point on the DMC.

If I were SPL I would have waited until all the components are ready to release this because while it's impressive, it's not all that useful without an additional insert manager.
Old 25th January 2018
Lives for gear

developed completely outside of my needs.
Old 25th January 2018
Lives for gear

Love love love the sound of SPL gear. But this seems a mastering console designed for ITB imho
Old 25th January 2018
Deleted User
SPL may be replacing the MasterBay 2 and 8 (which accompanied the previous DMC and the MMC-1) with an updated implementation.

Perhaps the MasterBay S will be discontinued soon.
Old 25th January 2018
Gear Head

According to my estimation. The SPL DMC system is now incomplete.
I assume that SPL is going the same way as in the past.
I think the DMC will be complemented by a new MASTER BAY. As here on the old system - (But it will be VERY expensive......)

Old 25th January 2018
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin P. View Post
Yeah, it seems slightly misguided though I did read they will be releasing some additional add-ons later this year so I think the idea would be to connect whatever they are planning to release (probably similar to Liaison) to the one insert point on the DMC.

If I were SPL I would have waited until all the components are ready to release this because while it's impressive, it's not all that useful without an additional insert manager.
Totally
Old 25th January 2018
Gear Maniac

Actually, It seems that they are planning to add some Switchers and Processors.

At the end it would may cost as expensive or more than any other systems on the market already available, using maybe more rack spaces....
Attached Thumbnails
SPL DMC - new 2018 MASTERING CONSOLE-27066870_10156788120421754_760601114728807672_n.jpg  
Old 26th January 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deleted User View Post
Is this what you are referring to?

Pity the MC16 doesn't support NHK 22.2, but it seems to provide for all the Home Atmos formats (up to 9.1.6), Auro-3D and IMAX.

The new DMC looks like a worthy upgrade, which is apparently half the cost of the previous generation, but with better specs.

The Phonitor output and GPI button are brilliant additions.

Wow I'm late to the party it seems !

To answer your question actually no I wasn't referring to the MC16 (didn't even knew about its release at Namm this time...), but to another unit.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Chapelle View Post
If you do not have hard bypass on every gear, we still need something like the Liaison or Backbone.

If it it's half of the price of a Maselec MTC-1, maybe. It seems that it has been designed for an all SPL setup....

.....wich will be indeed some kind of "liaison" insert switcher/router (and a replacement of their super big Masterbay 8).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin P. View Post

I agree with your last statement, I would have released both at the same time.....

Quote:
Actually, It seems that they are planning to add some Switchers and Processors.
.....and the other forthcoming processors later on.

Now from what I know (I'm no part of Spl, but know them well) they are releasing some kind of "full mastering system". So the DMC alone might not make that much sense I think. (Although as I previously said, the monitoring section is jawdropping as it sounds)
It is also an update from their previous model (we're talking gears released in the early 2000's here), and as I discussed it with them, one of the main goal was to offer something much more affordable than before. The DMC and Masterbay 8 first version were REALLY pricey at the time, because of their 120v technologie and all made in house by hand, on special order.

Imo their forthcoming insert switcher will sell more "on its own" than say, the DMC alone. But if you invest in more Spl gears, than the DMC makes perfect sense
Old 26th January 2018
Lives for gear

Just wondering, how can a monitor controller sound 'jawdropping'. I think you should not hear a monitorcontroller at all, it should just control your monitor level without EVER changing the sound. If you think it sounds great, it's probably better to get rid of the monitorcontroller you're using because it probably changes the sound or the SPL changes the sound to make it sound 'better' (which is also something you dont want).
Old 26th January 2018
we should wait for any comparison to know specs and prices of the insert switcher and the MS box that all combined will give specs on par with the MTC1X but i presume in 6/7RU that's a lot of real estate.
Old 26th January 2018
Gear Maniac
Looks interesting. I already have insert management sorted with my Crookwood router however I've been looking to improve my monitoring controller. Adding the Crookwood module made sense but seems to also fit my needs very nicely. More comprehensive and hands on.
Old 26th January 2018
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by da goose View Post
Just wondering, how can a monitor controller sound 'jawdropping'. I think you should not hear a monitorcontroller at all, it should just control your monitor level without EVER changing the sound. If you think it sounds great, it's probably better to get rid of the monitorcontroller you're using because it probably changes the sound or the SPL changes the sound to make it sound 'better' (which is also something you dont want).
"Should" does not not mean they do so in reality. A lot of "sound" in MCs in my experinces, from low budget to highend, from active to passive. So "sounds jawdropping" could also mean "transparent as hell" (which Im a bit sceptical here, considering my previous experiences with SPL).
I had (and still) made the same jaw dropping experience with my current MC. Before that I tried quite some different ways (digital and analog) and nothing comes close. In fact I think there are even some quite bad designs out there calling themselfs "high end" or "transparent". Fancy look seems to be more important often...

Regarding the topic: cant get the hype regarding mastering consoles, really and Im with Teebaum here. What is it good for when you even do not run a cutting lathe...? And the look of the current SPL line is so ugly, too...
Old 26th January 2018
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deleted User View Post
SPL may be replacing the MasterBay 2 and 8 (which accompanied the previous DMC and the MMC-1) with an updated implementation.

Perhaps the MasterBay S will be discontinued soon.
So, they’re finally going to shun the Masterbay?

<implied-emoji-pause>

Seriously, this could be nice when completed by whatever insert-router is en-route, but I might yet stick with another Crookwood for my second rig... voltage-rail not withstanding
Old 26th January 2018
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP__ View Post
cant get the hype regarding mastering consoles, really
Maybe not a hype, but you're unable to repatch/switch on/off the whole/part of chain in a partials of the second without it, including A/B-ing, M/S-ing, etc.
Plus some specifics every console features differently at just a push of a button.

Art
Old 26th January 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by da goose View Post
Hey Dagoose, yes of course it should be as "flat" as possible, and I wasn't meaning jawdropping in terms of "sound enhancement" but in terms of "revealing details". I have a Lynx Hilo ADDA here paired with Focal SM9s in a well soundproof/treated room (we spend some time on it) So, when audionning the Spl monitoring for the first time, I really wasn't expecting "that much" of a wow effect. Remembered me the difference between an RME FF400 converter (wich is far from crap) against the Hilo. You can easily here the "step-up" in accuracy and sound quality.

Quote:
"Should" does not not mean they do so in reality. A lot of "sound" in MCs in my experinces, from low budget to highend, from active to passive. So "sounds jawdropping" could also mean "transparent as hell" (which Im a bit sceptical here, considering my previous experiences with SPL).
I had (and still) made the same jaw dropping experience with my current MC. Before that I tried quite some different ways (digital and analog) and nothing comes close. In fact I think there are even some quite bad designs out there calling themselfs "high end" or "transparent". Fancy look seems to be more important often...

Regarding the topic: cant get the hype regarding mastering consoles, really and Im with Teebaum here. What is it good for when you even do not run a cutting lathe...? And the look of the current SPL line is so ugly, too...
Agreeing and dissagreeing with JP_ here

Agreeing as I meant "transparent as hell" or let say "revealing as hell".

Imo the amount of "transparency" in sound reproduction is only possible to consider when comparing to other similar devices. (AND, in the same listening environment otherwise it can be an endless debate).

Dissagreeing as I find the current Spl line very gorgeous looking, but each his own taste of course
Old 26th January 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:

The DMC will be almost half price of the Maselec afaIk and.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBarbarulo View Post
we should wait for any comparison to know specs and prices of the insert switcher and the MS box that all combined will give specs on par with the MTC1X but i presume in 6/7RU that's a lot of real estate.
.....my guess is the overall system (so quite a lot more options than the MTC1 overall) should be around 11K euros.
Old 26th January 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Well you don't NEED a Mastering console to do proper Mastering of course but.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtSta View Post
Maybe not a hype, but you're unable to repatch/switch on/off the whole/part of chain in a partials of the second without it, including A/B-ing, M/S-ing, etc.
Plus some specifics every console features differently at just a push of a button.

Art
.....as Arf said the ergonomics and things you can achieve with an entire system is really something that matters once you're "in". It can change you're workflow in a way you don't want to "go back". But for this you need to start buying lol
Old 26th January 2018
Deleted User
Quote:
Originally Posted by the unik View Post
.....my guess is the overall system (so quite a lot more options than the MTC1 overall) should be around 11K euros.
Which is around the outlay for just the previous DMC unit (which didn't include the MasterBay 2).
Old 26th January 2018
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:

Art
For sure. But I see a lot of problems here; impedance issues when changing orders or when bypassing single units with level jumps and other sonic interactions, for example. The typical 0,5dB steps on a analog switch is definitly not fine enough to be able to make a honest AB. So, not really usefull for this purposes.
M/S is a criteria, for sure, but it does not need a full equiped console for this. Same goes for monitoring.
Insert switching could be handy but I personally prefer a more straight forward approach. Running a cutting lathe is an big argument pro console of course, but beside this...?
All in all its a very personal decision how to work and where are you from of course but I really see more disandvantages than real advantages in the use of mastering consoles in a modern hybrid setup. Even when I really like the look of a old DMC, a Maselec or Crookwood console placed in a nice mastering desk... I really thoughed about a console for years and even have planned a build with other MEs, but I just cant see an imprvement in anything here. 11k could be spend much wiser imho. Sorry SPL...
Old 26th January 2018
Gear Maniac

Quote:
For sure. But I see a lot of problems here; impedance issues when changing orders or when bypassing single units with level jumps and other sonic interactions, for example.
Come on, „impedance issues” you might have with as well as without console. I bet you do not measure impedance every time you reconnect or change sequence of the gear.
Besides some consoles allow to trim levels on insert points.
Imho you’re overthinking this.
It’s one of tools that just allows to work faster.

Art
Old 26th January 2018
TRW
Lives for gear

Not to derail - as the DMC looks pretty good but defo has some "strange" design choices to me... but the new Passeq looks just about perfect now, as long as the mid range boost is a bit broader.

-T
Old 26th January 2018
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:
Come on, „impedance issues” you might have with as well as without console. I bet you do not measure impedance every time you reconnect or change sequence of the gear.

Art
Of course I do (as every serious audio engineer should do). Saw to many strange interactions in the past to have any trust here which leads me to a fully fixed chain. So I think you are underthinking this, maybe.
Some already said here (and in many other threads):
Fortuitous gear interactions

Last edited by JP__; 26th January 2018 at 08:19 PM..
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search