The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
SPL DMC - new 2018 MASTERING CONSOLE Monitor Controllers
Old 26th January 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRW View Post
Not to derail - as the DMC looks pretty good but defo has some "strange" design choices to me... but the new Passeq looks just about perfect now, as long as the mid range boost is a bit broader.

-T
And indeed the new Passeq has some neat feature aswell for a passive Eq, like different Q factor PER Frequencies This is really cool I think, the Low mids beeing tighter and High mids beeing broader

Also can't wait to hear that 35K high Shelf they've been telling me about for quite a while now

I'm not alowed to say more on the Insert switcher, but when you guys see it you'll understand why it definitely couldn't "fit" into the DMC.

I also suggest looking at this DMC tutorial video to understand a bit more about it :

YouTube

Old 26th January 2018
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP__ View Post
Saw to many strange interactions in the past to have any trust here which leads me to a fully fixed chain. So I think you are underthinking this, maybe.
Some already said here (and in many other threads):
Fortuitous gear interactions
Maybe. Do you really think that consoles' top manufactures don't know how electronic circuitry they interfacing with works and that they have never tested one in at least few fully equipped facilities around the world?

Art
Old 27th January 2018
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtSta View Post
Maybe. Do you really think that consoles' top manufactures don't know how electronic circuitry they interfacing with works and that they have never tested one in at least few fully equipped facilities around the world?

Art
If theres a really gear that perfectly matches to all others or a way to predict all kind of subtle interactions everyone will use the same stuff...
For most MEs I know setting up a chain is more complicated than sequencing some random gear or choose it by measurements especially when not using solid state stuff alone. Its more a kind of art form and mostly took years of try and error.
Do you really think a random manufactuer has found the magic key here?
Of course theres a simple rule avaiabkle, in german we call it "Überanpassung" which often work from a simple technical viewpoint, but not necessarillyfrom a sonic one.
I talked with many manufacteurs and most of them told their gear will work flawlessly with others, and it never was the case. Never. Theres always an interaction and its up to us to choose the best personal compromise here. Trustingthe manufactures here is just naive.

Active consoles are much easier to handle than passive ones when it comes to impedances, but even a well chosen active circuit never comes with sonical drawbacks. So for me is the simple decision between ease of use and setup and sonical purity. Both are nearly impossible to achieve together, so we all have to pick our personal poison...
Old 27th January 2018
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP__ View Post
Do you really think a random manufactuer has found the magic key here?
I think that it's not voodo. Many people use mastering consoles day in day out and have not experienced issues mentioned by this or other threads, where bias/user error is the norm. I believe that faulty or inproper designs are existent, but the console does not limit you as of ways to solve issues in any way. It actually helps.
And that's all hype.

Art
Old 27th January 2018
Gear Addict

Everything looks impressive and beautiful, real respect for the entire range of SPL products, but I don't really believe we need all this, at least I don't, too many functions, too many rack spaces, too much money, what for... (dont get me wrong) we can do a super work with simple analog chain with no insert switcher at all and few plugs, lets assume we want a switcher then get an easy passive custom one, or at most a Liaison...
Old 28th January 2018
I am still disappointed that Dangerous Monitor and Manley Backbone are discontinued.
Old 28th January 2018
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtSta View Post
I think that it's not voodo. Many people use mastering consoles day in day out and have not experienced issues mentioned by this or other threads, where bias/user error is the norm. I believe that faulty or inproper designs are existent, but the console does not limit you as of ways to solve issues in any way. It actually helps.
And that's all hype.

Art
Great it works for you. Makes life a lot easier.
Old 28th January 2018
Gear Maniac

its a shame when gear manufacturers dont listen to their target markets and instead release something what they think is good for them...

all fancy with lots of shiny buttons i get it but the amount of inserts is a joke no paralell processing options still no ELMAS etc

Even if some of the new spl gear sounds decent everytime i look at it thats the picture i got in my mind :

Old 28th January 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qtwister View Post
its a shame when gear manufacturers dont listen to their target markets and instead release something what they think is good for them...

all fancy with lots of shiny buttons i get it but the amount of inserts is a joke no paralell processing options still no ELMAS etc

Even if some of the new spl gear sounds decent everytime i look at it thats the picture i got in my mind :

So much "hate"...Did you even read the entire thread ? It is intended to be an entire system that will (of course) have all the inserts you need + Parallel + MS + things I 'm sure you didn't even thought of. It is all powered with controllers that let you do things that usually needs many "mousse clics" in a single push of a button. So maybe wait until the entire thing is released ?
Old 28th January 2018
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by the unik View Post
So much "hate"...Did you even read the entire thread ? It is intended to be an entire system that will (of course) have all the inserts you need + Parallel + MS + things I 'm sure you didn't even thought of. It is all powered with controllers that let you do things that usually needs many "mousse clics" in a single push of a button. So maybe wait until the entire thing is released ?
No hate here just my personal opinion i dont represent any companys i use and abuse stuff like this keyboard atm and yea no worries lets talk 1 year from now
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search