The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Please DMG!!!! Control Surfaces
Old 18th January 2018
  #1
Gear Addict
 

Please DMG!!!!

I'm dreaming right now...

DMG Equilibrium on a DSP card (like UAD)
+
Hardware controller (like this YouTube )
=
Heaven


Please Do it!!!!
Old 18th January 2018
  #2
Lives for gear
 

It's just not feasible. Ever wondered why the AirEQ controller never came out? Yeah.. because of markets.
Old 19th January 2018
  #3
Gear Addict
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmanic View Post
It's just not feasible. Ever wondered why the AirEQ controller never came out? Yeah.. because of markets.
Not feasible? What about console one from softube???
Old 19th January 2018
  #4
Lives for gear
 
Hermetech Mastering's Avatar
 

Verified Member
Why would you want to add a useless hardware dongle to something that currently doesn't have or need one?

For the controller, just buy any old controller box and set it up with EQuilibrium.
Old 19th January 2018
  #5
Lives for gear
 
teebaum's Avatar
maybe there are system restrictions that do not allow porting to the uad-platform.
I don't know at least no FIR-eq on the UAD
Old 19th January 2018
  #6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermetech Mastering View Post
Why would you want to add a useless hardware dongle to something that currently doesn't have or need one?
Exactly! look how "nice" our Powercores are gathering dust after shelling out over $2k on them, thanks to that concept. I actually kept my old XP based DAW (which is probably worth no more than $200 today anyway) just to be able to run MD3 from time to time. so, exactly, why would you want a "dongle" that will eventually be obsolete, added to a native plug that works? (not a rhetorical question)

as far as controlling the DMG Eq or any other try nOb
Old 19th January 2018
  #7
Gear Addict
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mastervargas View Post
as far as controlling the DMG Eq or any other try nOb
Already have real one
Old 19th January 2018
  #8
Gear Addict
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermetech Mastering View Post
For the controller, just buy any old controller box and set it up with EQuilibrium.
Wich one?
Old 19th January 2018
  #9
Quote:
Originally Posted by stamand View Post
Already have real one
nOb is as real as it can be. not sure you know what I'm talkin' about so here it is
Welcome | NOB CONTROL
Old 19th January 2018
  #10
Lives for gear
 
Hermetech Mastering's Avatar
 

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by stamand View Post
Wich one?
"...any old..." suggests you need to do the research yourself to find the one that would best suit your needs. I had a Kenton Killamix Mini as a controller for plugins for a while, but ended up never using it, so sold it.
Old 4th March 2018
  #11
Lives for gear
 
maxwelldub's Avatar
 

biggest bottleneck with equilibrium and most of their plugins is delay, not CPU use.
Old 4th March 2018
  #12
Gear Guru
 
UnderTow's Avatar
 

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by stamand View Post
I'm dreaming right now...

DMG Equilibrium on a DSP card (like UAD)
+
Hardware controller (like this YouTube )
=
Heaven


Please Do it!!!!
For a discussion in another thread I worked out the processing power differential between an Intel Core i9 7960x (as measured through the OS) and an UAD Quad. The Intel processor has 232 times the processing power of an UAD Quad.

If you need more power, upgrade your computer. Don't waste your money on antiquated DSP technology.

Anyway, I doubt the UAD platform has enough onboard memory to deal with the buffer sizes that Equilibrium can be set to. Also, just as with the HDX platform, I don't think the UAD platform can handle the variable number of EQ bands that Equilibrium offers. (One of the reasons Dave Gamble gave to explain that Equilibrium could not be ported to AAX-DSP).

Don't believe the marketing!

Alistair
Old 4th March 2018
  #13
Gear Maniac
 
01010110's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermetech Mastering View Post
For the controller, just buy any old controller box and set it up with EQuilibrium.
I did that a few years ago. The workflow was great, but I had the problem of not being able to change resolution of what was controlled. 127 steps for each control should be enough (that’s much more than I have on most of my hardware EQs), if that was 127 well placed steps. I could’t even set the gains to flat.
But maybe there are controllers now that would work better?
Old 13th March 2018
  #14
Gear Addict
 
Dom & Roland's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by 01010110 View Post
I did that a few years ago. The workflow was great, but I had the problem of not being able to change resolution of what was controlled. 127 steps for each control should be enough (that’s much more than I have on most of my hardware EQs), if that was 127 well placed steps. I could’t even set the gains to flat.
But maybe there are controllers now that would work better?
As others have suggested, try a n0b controller, I love mine...it has 2400 steps per revolution!
Old 13th March 2018
  #15
Gear Maniac
 
01010110's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dom & Roland View Post
As others have suggested, try a n0b controller, I love mine...it has 2400 steps per revolution!
That is what I use today, but that's really not as nice as a controller with for example 8x3 knobs like the one I tried working with.. separate controls for gain, Q and freq (at least). I really prefer to master without watching a screen. But I'm thankful for your answer! The n0b is the best alternative I've found so far.
Topic:
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump