The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
New unique EQ..
Old 16th January 2018
Lives for gear

Verified Member
New unique EQ..

Check out this new EQ. Looks pretty interesting for mastering use..

Fredenstein F610 Universal Entzerrer UE-1

The Fredenstein F610 Universal Entzerrer UE-1 is a digital controlled stereo analog quad band equalizer and 30 band spectrum analyzer in a double wide 500 series cassette.
For the first time in a 500 series module, we were able to implement a high resolution 3.5” LCD color display including a capacitive touch controller, thus welcoming the 500 Series to the 21st century.
The four filters are all identical and each can be tuned from 20 Hz to 20 KHz. The encoder rotary frequency knob allows access to about 190 different frequencies per filter, while the USB interface allows for 1 Hz frequency resolution. The maximum filter gain is +/- 16 dB. In case more gain is needed, additional filters can be set at the same frequency for a ridiculous up to 64 dB boost or cut. The Q-factor of each filter can be varied from 0.4 to 7.9. The gain can be adjusted from -16 dB to +16 dB in 0.25 dB steps, clearly fulfilling the demands of modern sophisticated mastering. The Filter 1 characteristic can be changed from band-pass to low-shelf and Filter 4 to high-shelf.
In addition, a variable 2nd order low-cut filter with a range from 20 Hz to 975 Hz is provided as well as a “Color” function giving a tube-like sound. The hard bypass allows for quick evaluation of the eq'ed results.
The 30-band spectrum analyzer features a 60 dB dynamic range with select-able sensitivity from +6 dBu to + 24 dBu in 6 dB steps. The choice to feed either the input or the output signal to the analyzer adds to the versatility of the F610.
Up to 99 complete settings can be stored in the internal non-volatile memory and a Micro-USB interface provides complete control from a connected host computer via RS232 over USB.
The F610 UE-1 name is an homage to the classic K&H UE-100. “Entzerrer” is the German technical term for equalizer.

Fredenstein F610 UE-1 Equalizer | Sweetwater
Old 16th January 2018
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Only four bands though...
Old 16th January 2018
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe_caithness View Post
Buy two and then you'll have 8 bands
Old 17th January 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
4 full parametric bands are quiet a lot...
Old 17th January 2018
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by teebaum View Post
4 full parametric bands are quiet a lot...
Maybe, one of the benefits of a digital EQ for me is to be able to manipulate in complex ways, my analogue EQs give me the broad strokes generally.
Old 17th January 2018
Gear Maniac

Mounted next to a crookwood
Old 17th January 2018
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:
Maybe, one of the benefits of a digital EQ for me is to be able to manipulate in complex ways, my analogue EQs give me the broad strokes generally.
I had the imprssion that this is an analog eq, am I wrong?
Old 17th January 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
But it's not a digital eq - it IS an analog eq (with digital controls)
Old 17th January 2018
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Yup, this is an analogue eq, digitally controlled. Like I said pretty unique product and honestly pretty exciting..

He is a very innovative German engineer/designer who now lives in Taiwan.

About Us

Think about what is sonically missing in today's audio equipment and how you could achieve better results in recording and mastering? Now, many may go back to well proven classic pieces of audio gear to fight the shortcomings of digital recording. Could that be the ultimate solution? Did the technological improvements of the last 50 years really don't apply to recording? Using technologies from vacuum tubes to Digital Signal Processors, often in the same product, Fredenstein products combine the strength of each technology and avoid their weaknesses. In addition we strongly believe in Zero-Negative-Feedback, negative feedback is a technique to make amplifiers more linear, but at the same time making them sounding harsh. This is one of the reasons modern equipment sounds so similar. Omitting negative feedback and using an internally and externally balanced designs which are very linear by design will yield a natural sound on a different level, warm, not dull or muffled, instead with a rich silky top-end and an impulse response which will simply blow you away. Don't get us wrong, we are not talking about 「esoteric designs」, we believe very strongly in a scientific engineering approach.

We also provide pieces of long neglected equipment like precision analog meters. Even if you are working mostly inside the 「box」, metering your analog signal before it hits your converters is still very important and a great foundation for good recording. Fredenstein's state-of-the-art audio technology will help you throughout your recording process to achieve truly outstanding results.

In addition, Fredenstein believes recording engineers deserve to have a more user friendly, more convenient, and efficient pieces of equipment making the studio life easier and generate a more comfortable working environment. By minimizing the number of buttons and switches without sacrificing functionality we deploy a clean user interface allowing you to get instantaneously familiar with the products.

Fredenstein Professional Audio Products are designed for audio professional in recording and broadcast studios as well as independent engineers and producers in their own facilities.

Fredenstein is focused to make a difference in Professional Audio. You can expect superior sound and high-end built quality from each of our products
Old 17th January 2018
Lives for gear

comparable concepts are already available, e. g. from bettermaker or summit.
at the end of the day, all that matters is how it sounds.
Old 17th January 2018
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by teebaum View Post
comparable concepts are already available, e. g. from bettermaker or summit.
at the end of the day, all that matters is how it sounds.
No, not really Bettermaker is a different concept. The Bettermaker is a pultec style eq with hi and low shelf only which is much different than the Fredenstein implementation.

But yes they are both 500 series with digital control and analogue signal path so that is the same. So in a generic obvious sense um yup..
Old 18th January 2018
Gear Maniac

Why the homage to the UE-100? Just a marketing thing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcgood View Post
No, not really Bettermaker is a different concept. The Bettermaker is a pultec style eq with hi and low shelf only which is much different than the Fredenstein implementation.
Bettermaker got a few different EQs. You described only one of their two 500 EQs.
Old 18th January 2018
Gear Maniac

Quote:

But yes they are both 500 series with digital control and analogue signal path so that is the same. So in a generic obvious sense um yup..
Still not sure about 500 series in a mastering context maybe with a custom 500 series box and a big fat and juicy powersupply
Old 18th January 2018
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Odeon-Mastering View Post
I had the imprssion that this is an analog eq, am I wrong?
well I fail the simple reading test it seems!
Old 18th January 2018
Lives for gear

Hardware that tries to look like a plugin?!

Have i been sucked through the wormhole?!
Old 18th January 2018
Lives for gear

Verified Member

I think I'm really close to giving up on GS..
Old 18th January 2018
Lives for gear

If this sounds good, it seems like a brilliant idea to me. Im going to keep an eye on this.

Mastering uses aside, I think having preset starting points could be really handy in fast-paced tracking situations. Just having instrument-specific frequency starting points, for example.
Old 18th January 2018
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:

I think I'm really close to giving up on GS..
Please don't, your input is valued.

Digitally-controlled analogue has much to offer, I'll be watching with interest.
Old 24th January 2018
Gear Guru

Verified Member
Looks very interesting. Maybe I can check it out this week at the always 92db NAMM show. lol
Old 24th January 2018
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucey View Post
Looks very interesting. Maybe I can check it out this week at the always 92db NAMM show. lol
Assuming you can hear anything at all, I would be keen to get your take on it, Brian.

One wonders if A-Designs will also be there with the Hutch-designed Finesse EQ, another digitally-controlled analogue offering.

A Designs - Finesse EQ at AES 2017 - inSync
Old 24th January 2018
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowland View Post
Assuming you can hear anything at all, I would be keen to get your take on it, Brian.

One wonders if A-Designs will also be there with the Hutch-designed Finesse EQ, another digitally-controlled analogue offering.

A Designs - Finesse EQ at AES 2017 - inSync
Those tegler guys did something similar never tried it tho...
not sure where all this stuff is leading to be prepared for the machines

Tegeler Audio Manufaktur
Old 25th February 2018
Lives for gear

I'm sorry, but I need to correct you Sir.

Since over 5 years we offer Passive as well as parametric EQs with digital recall in 500 series. Our EQ230P was first presented 7 years ago and it already offered parametric filters.

All best

Marek Walaszek

Quote:

Last edited by Marogru; 25th February 2018 at 10:03 AM.. Reason: misspelled something
Old 25th February 2018
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marogru View Post
I'm sorry, but I need to correct you Sir.

Since over 5 years we offer Passive as well as parametric EQs with digital recall in 500 series. Our EQ230P was first presented 7 years ago and it already offered parametric filters.

All best

Marek Walaszek
Hi Marek, nothing needed to correct I was simply talking about your most popular eq, I am aware that you make other eqs and limiters etc.

I like your stuff, I think it sounds good. But honestly this thread isn't about you, no offense.
Old 25th February 2018
Lives for gear

I clearly see it's not about my company nor me.
But, the things you write are misleading other readers, especially if you are aware of my other products.

Quote:
Hi Marek, nothing needed to correct I was simply talking about your most popular eq, I am aware that you make other eqs and limiters etc.

I like your stuff, I think it sounds good. But honestly this thread isn't about you, no offense.
Old 26th February 2018
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marogru View Post
I clearly see it's not about my company nor me.
But, the things you write are misleading other readers, especially if you are aware of my other products.
I was simply trying to make it clear that this eq is different than yours since someone else was comparing it. Hopefully we can agree on that yes? There was no intention on my part to mislead others.

Here's some more info below so you can clearly see all of the ares this eq is different than any of yours.

The Fredenstein F610 Universal Entzerrer UE-1 is a digital controlled stereo analog quad band equalizer and 30 band spectrum analyzer in a double wide 500 series cassette.

For the first time in a 500 series module, we were able to implement a high resolution 3.5” LCD color display including a capacitive touch controller, thus welcoming the 500 Series to the 21st century.
The four filters are all identical and each can be tuned from 20 Hz to 20 KHz. The encoder rotary frequency knob allows access to about 190 different frequencies per filter, while the USB interface allows for 1 Hz frequency resolution. The maximum filter gain is +/- 16 dB. In case more gain is needed, additional filters can be set at the same frequency for a ridiculous up to 64 dB boost or cut. The Q-factor of each filter can be varied from 0.4 to 7.9. The gain can be adjusted from -16 dB to +16 dB in 0.25 dB steps, clearly fulfilling the demands of modern sophisticated mastering. The Filter 1 characteristic can be changed from band-pass to low-shelf and Filter 4 to high-shelf.
In addition, a variable 2nd order low-cut filter with a range from 20 Hz to 975 Hz is provided as well as a “Color” function giving a tube-like sound. The hard bypass allows for quick evaluation of the eq'ed results.
The 30-band spectrum analyzer features a 60 dB dynamic range with select-able sensitivity from +6 dBu to + 24 dBu in 6 dB steps. The choice to feed either the input or the output signal to the analyzer adds to the versatility of the F610.
Up to 99 complete settings can be stored in the internal non-volatile memory and a Micro-USB interface provides complete control from a connected host computer via RS232 over USB.

The F610 UE-1 name is an homage to the classic K&H UE-100. “Entzerrer” is the German technical term for equalizer.
Old 26th February 2018
Gear Guru

Verified Member
I heard it with cheap cans and terrible monitor controller (why do people do this?) in a very loud NAMM show, and it sounded musical and pleasant. No major character I could notice, not sterile either, just a nice sound overall.

The downside is the screen flashes every time you move the controller knobs, which is distracting, and sub par.
Old 26th February 2018
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucey View Post
I heard it with cheap cans and terrible monitor controller (why do people do this?) in a very loud NAMM show, and it sounded musical and pleasant. No major character I could notice, not sterile either, just a nice sound overall.

The downside is the screen flashes every time you move the controller knobs, which is distracting, and sub par.
Interesting, the flashing thing would be distracting. Yea, I don't understand when audio folks that should know better, do things like that. I've seen high end mic makers demo their mics with really cheap mixers and headphones before.

I'm looking forward to demoing one in a good environment. I've heard good things about it.
Old 26th February 2018
Quote:
Check out this new EQ. Looks pretty interesting for mastering use..

Fredenstein F610 Universal Entzerrer UE-1

Fredenstein F610 UE-1 Equalizer | Sweetwater
^^that is no mastering curve! ..unless it was a harsh piece of crap mix !
Old 26th February 2018
Gear Guru

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by RightOnRome View Post
^^that is no mastering curve! ..unless it was a harsh piece of crap mix !
Of course ... all gear does this, with presets that are extreme etc.

There is a hi resolution setting, +/- 5db I think it was
Old 27th February 2018
Lives for gear

Looks like a cool design. I wish it was 19" rack, but I guess that would drive up cost adding more metal and connections. But I guess I'd love to see an 8-band, two rack unit version, with a bigger and more vertically 'stretched' display to show all 8 bands. My pipe dream. Seems like a great piece of kit though. And I LOVe the gold color!!
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search