The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
New unique EQ..
Old 3rd September 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelStAmour View Post
I think you are really well describing the Bettermaker Mastering Equalizer at this point.
Except for the number of bands, which seems to be 4, but on the picture you can see 6 bands, so I guess they say 4 filter band, but you also have shelving options, btw.
Yeah the new Bettermaker looks intriguing for sure! Probably different sonic flavor. But my guess is that both are great kit. I do have my eye on the new Bettermaker, but also crave a Curve Bender. They are my top two choices to add an eq.
Old 3rd September 2018
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slug1 View Post
Yeah the new Bettermaker looks intriguing for sure! Probably different sonic flavor. But my guess is that both are great kit. I do have my eye on the new Bettermaker, but also crave a Curve Bender. They are my top two choices to add an eq.
The Curve Bender sure is a different animal!
I was looking for this one too, or the Crane Song Ibis
Old 4th September 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by tengu View Post
"I wish they'd implement this", is the capability to bypass each band individually, separate of the others. I'm not sure how the design works, but my idea would be that once a band is selected, a second push would turn it off, a third would turn it back on, and so on and so on. At the moment there is only a bypass for the whole EQ.
Yeah, this is the reason I now consider the Zahl over it.. Also the option to go between 15db and 5db range is great for precission in mastering or broader strokes for mixing.
Old 13th September 2018
Lives for gear

the fredenstein f610 is now in my rack for a test and i could make some small comparisons against the knif eksa.
the f610 is a solid device and you can't moan for the price, but i realized once again how great the knif eksa is - but it also costs 4 times as much.

the hope to get a mastering-main-eq of the premium class for less than €2000 thanks to modern operating technology and 500 frame, i have to smash.
it can dip quiet well, but when add it is quite a step between sontec/gml/buzzaudio/maselec/knif and the f610.

Last edited by teebaum; 13th September 2018 at 12:52 PM..
Old 14th September 2018
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by teebaum View Post
it can dip quiet well, but when add it is quite a step between sontec/gml/buzzaudio/maselec/knif and the f610.
i wonder how it compares to something like the adt eq,
as i can imagine that the adt is somewhere in between.

i liked the adt with its relatively smooth sound, that
was almost never "too much", but it quite never gave me
a smile ;- )
it wasn't a "something special": no problem
with that, when you are not going to consider it
as a special tool (which i thought i could), but a
handy tool that works in a lot of situations
quite well : but, these days, there are many
handy tools out there.
Old 14th September 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by shamelesssounds View Post
i wonder how it compares to something like the adt eq,
as i can imagine that the adt is somewhere in between.

i liked the adt with its relatively smooth sound, that
was almost never "too much", but it quite never gave me
a smile ;- )
it wasn't a "something special": no problem
with that, when you are not going to consider it
as a special tool (which i thought i could), but a
handy tool that works in a lot of situations
quite well : but, these days, there are many
handy tools out there.
i found the adt-eq's, which i heard a few months ago, to be softer and rounder in sound - more noble, but with a very light "plastic" aspect.
the f610 is tighter, harder.
in the basses it can fit quite well, when dipping also, in the highs and the presence area the adt pleased me better.
but i'd have to listen again if the f610, maybe he adds a bit of hardness to in general.
Old 14th September 2018
Here for the gear
If it takes off, will we see a stereo master bus version? (please!)

Could anyone comment on electronic manufacturing in Taiwan nowadays?
I have heard it is very good in some instances.
Old 15th September 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
the hope to get a mastering-main-eq of the premium class for less than €2000 thanks to modern operating technology and 500 frame, i have to smash.
Ok, thanks for sharing. A little OT but what do you think about the Custom Audio Germany HDE250 in comparison to all these then? Its 4k € dented, but without it is actually 2€..

I was thinking to get the Zahl eq1 instead of the F610, and its also slightly below 2k€. I was hoping it was at least better then my current Elysia Xfilter at about 1k€, but I do understand there is a reason for these price tags! If the HDE is in fact on another level then both the f610 and Zahl, for just a little more money (no dents) I might just get that one instead.
Old 15th September 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimotei View Post
Ok, thanks for sharing. A little OT but what do you think about the Custom Audio Germany HDE250 in comparison to all these then? Its 4k € dented, but without it is actually 2€..

I was thinking to get the Zahl eq1 instead of the F610, and its also slightly below 2k€. I was hoping it was at least better then my current Elysia Xfilter at about 1k€, but I do understand there is a reason for these price tags! If the HDE is in fact on another level then both the f610 and Zahl, for just a little more money (no dents) I might just get that one instead.
i've never heard a CAG HDE250 myself, but i can't imagine steffen building something poor.
the version for 4k should have rotary switches, not only be dented?

i'm not a fan of the x-filter for mastering, i'm missing something inspiring.

the zähl could be good, ergonomic is not my case - if you don't mind, you can have a look at some lipinski L619s, at least they are dented.
you can apparently reduce the gainrange to 5dB.
at the moment i'm waiting for the second module, so i can tell you more about the sound.
Old 15th September 2018
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimotei View Post

I've used the normal version of the CAG HDE-250 (non stepped, regular high quality smooth pots, the 4k € version is with elma switches, and that's why it's so expensive), I never used the Zähl, but I can tell you the HDE-250 is a fantastic sounding piece! As Teebaum said, Steffen builds high quality stuff.

Elysia doesn't come close imho, and there's nothing on the 500 series that comes close for mastering work ime. (Also because of the feature set and space needed by the components).
In short: It's incredibly well built and sound stellar. Highly recommended!

Quote:
the fredenstein f610 is now in my rack for a test and i could make some small comparisons against the knif eksa.
the f610 is a solid device and you can't moan for the price, but i realized once again how great the knif eksa is - but it also costs 4 times as much.

While I didn't test the Fredenstein, I believe that there are pieces in the 500 series that might at least be closer to that performance, but can't expect to have it cheap.
Avesis E27 are not mastering eq's, they have a sound, but from a quality and headroom perspective are also fantastic.
Same with the Crane Song Insignia or the solid state Pulse Techniques.
While they're not stepped nor intended for mastering work and they're more "limited" in feat, from a quality perspective I'd say they're, if not there, at least much much closer than the fredenstein to the performance of the other pieces you have in the studio.

Also another important point seems to be the 500 series rack that powers the units..

like the french would say.. affaire a suivre..

Cheu
Old 7th May 2019
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KwgUYEBsD8g

The F610's sound excellent to me in this but I'm not sure if it it's level matched. It sounded a bit louder to me. It sounds both smooth and exciting to me. The SS G23 also sounded quite nice. The API is colorful and exciting but really infuses some of the high frequency sounds with a brittle edge.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search