The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
I just lost a mix contest because of TOO MUCH dynamic range! Modular Synthesizers
Old 15th January 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonlinear View Post
Or at least I could have put a parallel comp on the 2-bus!

LOL. I'm good. This was supposed to be a "mixing" contest with no mastering. I was trying to make it "epic". Balance and composition should have been the main criteria but - as we all know - loudness is certainly a factor in how it's received.

Yeah, maybe next time I will "cheat " a little.
I totally agree with you but since every mixers are scared of not being approved for not being loud enough everyone cheat and either master it themselves or send it to be mastered.

the same happen with mastering shootout, people send masters with overs at +3,5 dbfs, I personally refuse to get into that trend.
Old 24th January 2018
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonlinear View Post
I just found out that my mix did not make the top 10 because of one main reason - TOO MUCH DYNAMIC RANGE!
Ok, I will get you another point of view to look at it.
Disclaimer #1 : first and foremost I am not judging your mix, as I heard it just once, so if in doubts - in my response I do not refer to a great work you certainly did.
Disclaimer #2 : I have nothing in common with the competition in subject.
Disclaimer #3 : I do not have some kids contests in mind where loudness is the only factor by design.

Ok, here we go. Mixing contest usually differs from mastering one as in most cases jury receives much more mixes for assessment. That means, that nobody cares about careful A/B listetning with levels set equally for comparison, really. Mixes are being listened one by one by maybe 10-20 secs or so and if one makes sudden smile on jury faces it has a chance to be listened in full. However, sound itself is not the only factor, actually it comes second if not the third. What comes first is the mix itself, the idea behind it and interest it grabs from listeners (jury). Technically almost everything can be changed/improved/fixed today so it’s not the main focus of assessing the mix. So, sound levels, crest factors, etc, all this is really not so important (but of course might have some impact) if mix does not catch an attention in just few short moments, but they’re all quick and easy excuses at hand if the mix doesn’t work for jury. I will emphasize: for jury, because there are different moods, different tastes, different expectations at any given time, and it is nothing wrong with it.

So do not take it personally, you can’t always satisfy everyone. This is a game we are all in, we all loose contests for different reasons, those who claim they’re not, they have not much experience or they’re not fully honest.

Keep up the good work!

Art
Old 24th January 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtSta View Post
What comes first is the mix itself, the idea behind it and interest it grabs from listeners ... if mix does not catch an attention in just few short moments, but they’re all quick and easy excuses at hand if the mix doesn’t work
Agree. If it doesn't grab attention in first few seconds it's over. Same thing happens at A&R departments. NEXT!

Thank you for your input.

Mentioned Products
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search