The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Mastering compressors that give "roundness" to basses? Mas­ter­ing Plugins
Old 4th January 2018
Lives for gear

Mastering compressors that give "roundness" to basses?

So I've noticed that in rhythmic music my Höf Dynamic Master OTB compressor is able to give sweet "roundedness" to basses. That is, merely compressing using it it's able to time the envelopes so that they "round" the basses and bass drums so that the become more punchy, but not peaky, but in a "round" way.

I've tried emulating this using Ozone 7 Maximizer, which I found to be tonally similar to the Höf Dynamic Master, but I've not had success in finding the correct time values (or not sure if the envelope shapes are right for this either). It could even be that the Höf adjusts "dynamically", because it doesn't expose the user any attack and release controls.

What plug-ins and how could I use for doing this "rounding bass" thing? It doesn't take much compression, the Höf reads about -1 - -3dB of GR for this. But what's more important is the timing, envelope shapes and ratio.

According to (HOEF AUDIO Prudukt HÖF professional dynamic processor) the Höf is a Class A VCA compressor with "feed forward". Perhaps the elysia Alpha could match it? Preferably something with no user-settings for attack, release, ratio etc. like in the Höf.
Top Mentioned Products
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search