The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Any inexpensive hardware mastering EQs or should I stick to plug-ins? Equalizer Plugins
Old 27th December 2017
Lives for gear

Any inexpensive hardware mastering EQs or should I stick to plug-ins?

Any inexpensive hardware mastering EQs or should I stick to plug-ins?

My budget for such EQ would be $700 max. And for this money Melda's MTurboEq would be 1) cheaper and 2) give me models of the most popular EQs.

Is GAP EQ-73 any good?
Old 27th December 2017
Lives for gear

You might find a used DAV BG3 for a little more than your budget but if you don't have decent conversion you will be degrading the signal more than helping it. With mastering gear, especially hardware, it's really not worth cutting corners because you just end up chasing your tail and spending more in the long run.

I'd stick with plugins until you can afford to do it right. For some extra flavour, you might want invest in some Nebula emulations. The consensus seems to be that they are pretty close to the real thing these days.

Hope that helps.
Old 27th December 2017
Lives for gear

with a budget under $ 2000. - stay itb.
Old 27th December 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmoothTone View Post
You might find a used DAV BG3 for a little more than your budget but if you don't have decent conversion you will be degrading the signal more than helping it. With mastering gear, especially hardware, it's really not worth cutting corners because you just end up chasing your tail and spending more in the long run.

I'd stick with plugins until you can afford to do it right. For some extra flavour, you might want invest in some Nebula emulations. The consensus seems to be that they are pretty close to the real thing these days.
I have Nebula 3 Pro, but I haven't got around using it yet.

What you mean by investing in Nebula emulations? I thought most of the convolutions for it are provided free-of-charge by fellow users.
Old 27th December 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by soundmodel View Post
What you mean by investing in Nebula emulations? I thought most of the convolutions for it are provided free-of-charge by fellow users.
I don't use Nebula so I'm not aware of the pricing. Apologies for any confusion.
Old 27th December 2017
Lives for gear

But yeah I agree that Nebula is probably a very good option here.
Old 27th December 2017
Lives for gear

Stay in the box, especially if you don’t have converters worthy of going out of and back in.
Old 28th December 2017
Motown legend

Verified Member
I'd first invest in better monitoring, i.e. D to A, speakers, and room treatment.
Old 29th December 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by teebaum View Post
with a budget under $ 2000. - stay itb.
I'd have to say that a Thermos (From HCL) I believe is a bit cheaper than 2k and its definitely worth going out of the box for. Aside from that, maybe a DAV BG3 and not much else.

If you don't already have DMG Equilibrium, get it. I would have paid 1k for that software when it was released.
Old 30th December 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by thermos View Post
I'd have to say that a Thermos (From HCL) I believe is a bit cheaper than 2k and its definitely worth going out of the box for. Aside from that, maybe a DAV BG3 and not much else.

If you don't already have DMG Equilibrium, get it. I would have paid 1k for that software when it was released.
the hcl thermos i had in mind when i wrote 2k
Old 30th December 2017
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by teebaum View Post
the hcl thermos i had in mind when i wrote 2k
Just this morning I received a quote at HCL's facebook page.
$1900 Euros.
This is the M/S version plus they've changed the knobs. Pic attached with the new version on top of the old.
Attached Thumbnails
Any inexpensive hardware mastering EQs or should I stick to plug-ins?-new-thermos-top.jpg  
Old 30th December 2017
Gear Nut

DMG Equillibrium truly is amazing. As an operator of a small mastering business, one that doesn't allow for having an extensive collection of analog EQ's, Equillibrium has totally changed the choices I'm making in hardware.

As another poster said: I would have paid 1K for it had it cost that.
Old 2nd January 2018
Gear Guru

Verified Member
If you can find one a dbx Quantum II is a good buy and actually is a quite nice all in one mastering processor with some good EQ and Limiting built in. The display is a little hard to read but over all a quality piece with digital and analog ins and outs. FWIW.
Old 2nd January 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas W. Bethe View Post
If you can find one a dbx Quantum II is a good buy and actually is a quite nice all in one mastering processor with some good EQ and Limiting built in. The display is a little hard to read but over all a quality piece with digital and analog ins and outs. FWIW.
The very first piece of Mastering kit I bought, back in the days, under our dear Bob the Katz advice. A truly wonderfull piece
Old 2nd January 2018
Gear Guru
Quote:
Would it also work well as a converter? I use a Finalizer presently and think it sounds OK.
Old 2nd January 2018
Gear Guru

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ardis View Post
Would it also work well as a converter? I use a Finalizer presently and think it sounds OK.
I use it for that purpose a lot. It sounds A LOT better than a Finalizer IMHO.
Old 2nd January 2018
Gear Guru
Quote:
I use it for that purpose a lot. It sounds A LOT better than a Finalizer IMHO.
Wow high praise indeed! Seems to be a cool solution to a lot of things and I've always liked DBX for build quality....
Old 2nd January 2018
Lives for gear

Also for 2k there is the Klontz Audio MES 435s or 'd', different animals inside.

If you can't reach this minimun budget - after getting acoustics and monitoring sorted - I suggest the two Sonoris equalizers, Mastering and Parallel version.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search