The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
iTunes Soundcheck causing distortion
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

iTunes Soundcheck causing distortion

I have mastered several tracks recently with an integrated loudness value btw -13 and -15 LUFS. I've been careful to ensure the dBTP value is at least -1.5 to -2.0 to try to ensure there are no intersample peaks.

I would expect Apple's sound check to turn these masters down. Instead it turns them up considerably, to the point of causing audible distortion when listening via car speakers via Apple Music (via bluetooth or via USB connection, streaming and without streaming). I have read that dynamic range or PLR has a lot to do with how soundcheck works. Perhaps my masters have too much dynamic range?

Just seems that other masters I have heard with similar or higher integrated LUFS values get turned down when sound check is enabled.

I appreciate your comments and thank you in advance!
Old 1 week ago
Is the equaliser on iTunes enabled, or the "sound enhancer"? These can cause clipping very easily.
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

The scenario where I hear it is in the car via the iPhone Music App. Soundcheck is enabled, EQ is off since I am using the car’s treble, bass. There is no sound enhancer option via this app. I leave these settings the same and turn sound check on/off to compare my tracks to the other tracks mentioned.
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Could it be that there is a difference in the way sound check works for music in “Your Library” versus music in “Apple Music”?
Old 4 days ago
Here for the gear

Bump
Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Something is busted. Maybe the latest iTunes / OS release has a bug? That's not how it is supposed to work. Maybe try it on a different computer / OS.
Old 9 hours ago
Here for the gear

It works as expected in iTunes (turns the tracks down slightly) but turns them way up in the music app on the iPhone.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search