The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
FabFilter Pro-L 2 announced for December 5th Dynamics Plugins
Old 8th December 2017
Lives for gear

the interesting thing about pro-l2 is to notice for me that "less is more". the limiter doesn't seem to be a multiband monster and in many cases it sounds best for me if you don't use true peak limiting and even oversampling, but leave a little more headroom instead.
oversampling, however, sounds much better than the pro-l1 "felt".
you can use the new algorithms & oversampling to find the sweetspot between transience, density and "cleanliness" very well.

the other limiter, which has been surprising lately, is interestingly at the other end of the spectrum - a multiband ufo landing machine (elevate)
Old 8th December 2017
I tried the demo and love it. I am a fan of MK1 though, even if it was somewhat mushy I always liked it more than multiband limiters (Elevate, Limitless etc.) which either distorted to easily (Elevate) or changed the mix balance too much. New version fixes all my complaints and adds great metering, 1:1, x32 oversampling and this little headphone icon that I adore in their other plugins, can't live without it on Pro-Q and Pro-DS.
Old 8th December 2017
t_d
Lives for gear

as a huge fan of ProQ2 i thought i'd give this a try.. but the waveform display behavior is a bit disconcerting... i'm surprised no one else has mentioned it but maybe it's just in my system.

the waveform display draws in real time from left to right, and as soon as it hits the right edge it pushes the whole waveform quickly to the left so it can keep drawing in and it does this every pass of the draw...

very distracting.. especially when you're trying to look at one area of the waveform and all of the sudden it pushes quickly away

is there a setting to change scrolling behavior? is this normal? doesn't bother anyone else?
Old 8th December 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by t_d View Post
as a huge fan of ProQ2 i thought i'd give this a try.. but the waveform display behavior is a bit disconcerting... i'm surprised no one else has mentioned it but maybe it's just in my system.

the waveform display draws in real time from left to right, and as soon as it hits the right edge it pushes the whole waveform quickly to the left so it can keep drawing in and it does this every pass of the draw...

very distracting.. especially when you're trying to look at one area of the waveform and all of the sudden it pushes quickly away

is there a setting to change scrolling behavior? is this normal? doesn't bother anyone else?
You can change those settings, look it up, page 16 in the manual.
https://www.fabfilter.com/help/ffprol2-manual.pdf

The Display Mode button selects the behavior of the real-time level display:

Slow Down lets the display move slowly so you can easily follow the levels and the peak gain reduction
labels. Once the incoming audio reaches the rightmost display edge, the display quickly scrolls back to
make room for new audio.
Fast is the behavior from Pro-L 1 where the display moves fairly quickly at a steady pace.
Slow is the same, but with a slower pace so you can see more audio history at a time. This mode works
well in combination with Short Term loudness metering.
Infinite shows all incoming audio since the interface was opened or this mode was selected, increasing
the density each time the display fills up. This mode works well in combination with Integrated loudness
metering.
Off turns the display off altogether which is useful if you find it distracting while listening.
Old 8th December 2017
Deleted User
Have a look at page 16 of the Manual.
Old 8th December 2017
t_d
Lives for gear

i should have RTFM.. one didn't download with the installer.. and i didn't go looking for it online...sorry guys.. thanks!
Old 8th December 2017
Lives for gear

Verified Member
At times when I do use Pro-L I only ever run it in compact mode. Go by ear. Bling-less.
Old 8th December 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartacus View Post
Same behaviour and sound on the old Pro L1 modes (Dynamic, Allaround, Transparent and Punchy) and the new modes are not better than the old ones...
Only things improved are the metering and the multichannel...
A bit disappointed.
I agree. I still prefer Fab filter pro l v1 suprisingly
Old 8th December 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by teebaum View Post
the interesting thing about pro-l2 is to notice for me that "less is more". the limiter doesn't seem to be a multiband monster and in many cases it sounds best for me if you don't use true peak limiting and even oversampling, but leave a little more headroom instead.
oversampling, however, sounds much better than the pro-l1 "felt".
you can use the new algorithms & oversampling to find the sweetspot between transience, density and "cleanliness" very well.

the other limiter, which has been surprising lately, is interestingly at the other end of the spectrum - a multiband ufo landing machine (elevate)
That may be why i liked v1 better. true peak limiting sounded a little funny to me on v2, at same settings as v1. I always leave .03 headroom on v1
Old 11th December 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmanic View Post
...set attack to absolute maximum, no look-a-head and release to shortest. Then switch to the Aggressive style and you have an almost 100% clipper (though not an ordinary clipper at that.. a rather smart one).

I think there is a preset called Clipping or something like that.. in the Loud preset category.
Have been using v1 in clipper-mode for years, was messing around with v2 yesterday and did a post here.

With v1 always used "all-around" which now seems clearer? Messed around with "modern" which seems even more clear. Did try their clipping preset which uses "aggressive" but too much high frequency crunch for my use, did sound neat though maybe for "boom boom" dance music.

I like the update. And LUFS metering is a great addition.
Old 11th December 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendingBus View Post
Have been using v1 in clipper-mode for years, was messing around with v2 yesterday and did a post here.
Did try their clipping preset which uses "aggressive" but too much high frequency crunch for my use, did sound neat though maybe for "boom boom" dance music.
Funny detail, during beta the aggresive mode was called EDM mode.
Old 11th December 2017
Gear Addict

If I use a clipper before ProL2 I quite like - Safe - with around 2dB of gain reduction on sluggish bass music. Limitless seem to be better for me to handle
everything else so far. Will buy this.
Top Mentioned Products
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search