The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Hofa CD-Burn.DDP.Master
Old 11th February 2019
Lives for gear

Now with several Projects using HOFA-DDP Master ... the question.

Using 3rd Party VST plugins. How or When ?!?
Old 12th February 2019
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJHollins View Post
Now with several Projects using HOFA-DDP Master ... the question.

Using 3rd Party VST plugins. How or When ?!?
and in depth fade/crossover control.

At that point I'd consider moving to it for actual start to end mastering.

Oh would also need busses!
Old 12th February 2019
Lives for gear

Yeah, HOFA really needs a pro version for me to consider using it for daily assembly/finalization exporting but I think for now they want to keep it simple and solid like it is now.

For me right now, it has too many limitations so I prefer the WaveLab montage where I feel zero restrictions.
Old 14th February 2019
Gear Nut

New features

Hi guys,

Thank your for the requests. We'll definitely keep an eye on the support of third party plugins for the future.

With best regards,

Simon Götz
HOFA GmbH
Old 4th June 2019
Lives for gear

Verified Member
https://hofa-plugins.de/en/plugins/c...WdJXRfDOdGC-tI

Bit confused by the upgrade price coming out as more expensive if you own the original? maybe I am missing something, great news though!
Old 4th June 2019
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe_caithness View Post
https://hofa-plugins.de/en/plugins/c...WdJXRfDOdGC-tI

Bit confused by the upgrade price coming out as more expensive if you own the original? maybe I am missing something, great news though!
Looks as if an upgrade when I log in is : "only 207.14 EUR" but the intro price for new users is 129.90?
Old 4th June 2019
Gear Nut

I think they've fixed it. Upgrade price is 79.90 euros, prerelease full version price is 149.00
Old 5th June 2019
Lives for gear

Well, I did the Pro Upgrade, as I really want to see some major enhancements to this core program.

Here's a question for fellow Users ...

I'm Mastering a project, and the Producer is looking into distribution via these USB, business type cards.

These 'cards' seem nothing more than a storage device attached to a business card.

There doesn't seem to be any built in media player, and the Song files are basically unsecured.

Since we have the PLAYER Maker option available from DDP ... can we use the PLAYER for distribution to the Public ?

Seems we can 'lock' the files ... and include a Cover Photo with the Project.

Basically ... I'm just researching how to move forward with this, non CD, world we are in.

Thanks for any insights, suggestions ....
Old 5th June 2019
Lives for gear

Interesting question. Should be covered in the Hofa EULA.
Old 7th June 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin P. View Post
Yeah, HOFA really needs a pro version for me to consider using it for daily assembly/finalization exporting but I think for now they want to keep it simple and solid like it is now.

For me right now, it has too many limitations so I prefer the WaveLab montage where I feel zero restrictions.
Looks like a pro version is coming in August. They were listening
Old 7th June 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP_Hawk View Post
Looks like a pro version is coming in August. They were listening
Yes, and sooner than I realistically expected.

I do hope they consider having clip/object/item FX so plugins can be added to specific songs without having to be on their own audio track/lane. I think that is essential for a pro mastering DAW.

Having to make an audio track for each song to get its own FX chain can get messy, waste CPU if it's taxing the CPU for the entire project other than when it's needed for playback/rendering, and also makes for small tracks when doing EPs and albums etc.

Ability to stagger the songs between two tracks like in WaveLab, CD Architect and most mastering DAWs would be a good thing to add.
Old 11th June 2019
Just received a message from Simon in regards to how plugins can be implemented in the pro release:

It's possible to have a different plugin chain for each track. You'll be able to insert third party plugins including noise reduction tools. You can have chain presets to ease your workflow and you'll be able to separate the whole master into several tracks using different plugins.

Of course you can have a total master bus chain as well regarding the output bus. But I guess that's quite obvious and needless to mention. :-)

I'm a big fan of Hofa and would likely upgrade, but wasn't sure it there would be enough difference and added flexibility vs the standard version (which has been fantastic). This sounds like a true one stop shop, at least for digital processing!
Old 11th June 2019
Lives for gear

They need to clarify if they mean CD track, or audio track. Two very different things.

If mastering a 12 song album, nobody wants to have 12 separate audio tracks, making the waveforms super tiny, and wasting CPU for all the time that song ISN'T playing in the session which can really increase rendering times among other things. Also, a problem for UAD plugins as you only get so many instances unless you can insert them right on the song itself.

I really think that to be a pro app, they need to add the ability to add FX right on each song, also known as clips, items, objects, in other mastering DAWs.
Old 11th June 2019
mpr
Lives for gear

I still think an all in one mastering solution needs to be able to pitch and send analog so we can monitor thru both our outboard and the final ITB limiter chains live. Printing your analog without hearing your final limiter settings is a waste of time IMO.

And then there is the editing and SRC. For me an all in one mastering solution would need to encompass Hofa, Reaper, RX and Saracon in order to avoid jumping files between apps - which is the least appealing aspect of the job imo.
Old 11th June 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJHollins View Post
Well, I did the Pro Upgrade, as I really want to see some major enhancements to this core program.

Here's a question for fellow Users ...

I'm Mastering a project, and the Producer is looking into distribution via these USB, business type cards.

These 'cards' seem nothing more than a storage device attached to a business card.

There doesn't seem to be any built in media player, and the Song files are basically unsecured.

Since we have the PLAYER Maker option available from DDP ... can we use the PLAYER for distribution to the Public ?

Seems we can 'lock' the files ... and include a Cover Photo with the Project.

Basically ... I'm just researching how to move forward with this, non CD, world we are in.

Thanks for any insights, suggestions ....
To be totally honest I wouldn't worry about "locking" the files in this day and age.

He'll most likely be adding the release to the streaming services (and if he doesn't he should really rethink his release strategy as that's just the way it is nowadays...) and the music will be readily available so he should look at the USB release as more of souvenir from the artist (think CD or vinyl replacement) which will, after uploading it to their player, be put alongside all of the customers other physical merchandise.

Pirating of songs just doesn't really happen these days the way it was back five or ten years ago and, to be quite frank, I think it will just drive fans/customers away if they have to, especially as it is with the DDP Player, go through the rigamarole of figuring out how to launch the Player just to listen to a few songs.

I have received a ddp image with an included hofa ddp player as a zip file how can I use it?

R.
Old 11th June 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpr View Post
I still think an all in one mastering solution needs to be able to pitch and send analog so we can monitor thru both our outboard and the final ITB limiter chains live. Printing your analog without hearing your final limiter settings is a waste of time IMO.

And then there is the editing and SRC. For me an all in one mastering solution would need to encompass Hofa, Reaper, RX and Saracon in order to avoid jumping files between apps - which is the least appealing aspect of the job imo.
Right. The definitive mastering DAW (especially on MacOS) doesn't exist yet. WaveLab 10 is rumored to be promising with likely improvements in the analog I/O and routing department. It'd be great if they added a way to have an external editor like REAPER can for RX integration that isn't a headache.

Right now I use REAPER/RX/WaveLab and either Saracon or RX for SRC. The Custom Montage Duplicate feature of WaveLab is huge for me. I can do all the processing at 96k (other than dither), and have the project recreated (with markers, data, etc.) at whatever sample rate the new file I point WaveLab to is at...and I can use the SRC of my choice, not what is built into the DAW.

Essential for a mastering DAW in my book.

I don't mind the app hopping as I have my workflow and shortcuts down to a science, and it's better than trying to struggle in one DAW. I know others prefer one app though.
Old 12th June 2019
Quote:
They need to clarify if they mean CD track, or audio track. Two very different things.

If mastering a 12 song album, nobody wants to have 12 separate audio tracks, making the waveforms super tiny, and wasting CPU for all the time that song ISN'T playing in the session which can really increase rendering times among other things. Also, a problem for UAD plugins as you only get so many instances unless you can insert them right on the song itself.

I really think that to be a pro app, they need to add the ability to add FX right on each song, also known as clips, items, objects, in other mastering DAWs.
It will in fact be adding a track for each new plugin chain instance. A bit of a bummer...was hoping it might function more like Reaper in regards to adding plugs directly to clips/objects/items.

Simon responded to my questions quickly and also stated that he planned to discuss direct to clip plugin implementation with the developers. If they could nail that and simple options for flexible SRC I would be set for the majority of my work. I think Hofa is on the right path and perhaps they'll get there in the not too distant future. I'll likely still app hop, but am interested in checking out what this new version can do for itb masters.

Justin - WaveLab appears to be on the threshold, I guess all it's lacking for you is direct to clip plugin implementation and analog pitch and catch? Seems like they would have at least nailed down analog pitch and catch by now, especially for the price tag?
Old 12th June 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir hills View Post
It will in fact be adding a track for each new plugin chain instance. A bit of a bummer...was hoping it might function more like Reaper in regards to adding plugs directly to c.

Simon responded to my questions quickly and also stated that he planned to discuss direct to clip plugin implementation with the developers. If they could nail that and simple options for flexible SRC I would be set for the majority of my work. I think Hofa is on the right path and perhaps they'll get there in the not too distant future. I'll likely still app hop, but am interested in checking out what this new version can do for itb masters.

Justin - WaveLab appears to be on the threshold, I guess all it's lacking for you is direct to clip plugin implementation and analog pitch and catch? Seems like they would have at least nailed down analog pitch and catch by now, especially for the price tag?
WaveLab does have clip plugin support. So if I'm mastering all in the box, I use just WaveLab, although I clean up the tracks in RX first and use RX or Saracon for SRC after the processing is locked in at 96k

Yes, the analog pitch and catch is severely limited right now, but it rumored to be improved in WaveLab 10.

I've got such a dialed in analog pitch and catch workflow with REAPER for that part of the process though, they'd really have to move mountains in WaveLab for me to use it daily, but I'm guessing it'll be good enough for most people to use it, and a welcomed improvement for those somehow dealing with it as is right now. I may actually prefer it too, time will tell.

I'm not really feeling compromised in my current workflow, I'd just like to see WaveLab make those improvements to attract more users, maybe use it myself, and I'd like to see HOFA add clips/objects/items FX for the pro version, and find a way that allows people to use their own SRC and dither like I can do it WaveLab now which would make HOFA very close 2nd and backup to WaveLab if needed.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Not sure if I or anyone else mentioned but something which would be fantastic is the option to do a branded PDF meta data sheet not in CD or vinyl format.

Especially supporting MP3 tags also
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Verified Member

Promotional video out now
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Nice.

Thanks Joe for posting the News.
Old 3 weeks ago
Here for the gear

why do we need third party plugins while making a DDP file?? It should be all already done, mastered, ready....
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mundano View Post
why do we need third party plugins while making a DDP file?? It should be all already done, mastered, ready....
Well it's not JUST for DDP creation. With the Pro version, you could easily do all "in the box" mastering.

Or you could use it to finalize mastering after doing your analog processing in another DAW which is what I currently use WaveLab for. HOFA Pro seems to come close to WaveLab depending on your needs, but of course WaveLab has spectral editing and a bunch of other stuff that you may or may not need.

This way, you can export your master in a variety of formats and only have to sequence it and add the metadata/CD-Text one time.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

As we look forward to the Pro version ...

One thing I've found a hassle ... having to use 'separate lanes' for Processing and Automation.

I hope there is plan to assign a Plugin to a specific Song, for processing only that song.

Then have LANEs for doing Global processing/automation.

Also ... the Automation is very crude/simplistic. It would be better to drag out a 'selection', and have THAT selection adjustable. Now we have to manually add
4-points to even start to make an adjustment. Slow and cumbersome.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Nut

I'm also keeping a keen eye on this, especially as Wavelab 9 is exceedingly buggy on my system, enough so that I don't want to stick with Steinberg.

Right now I pitch / catch in Logic Pro X, use RX for forensics and SRC, and do spacing in HOFA. It's the fastest, stablest workflow for me, given what I have.

The big drawback is the SRC and the dither - not being able to use RX for this is a pain in HOFA. The workarounds for this at present are a drag. I'm hoping the new HOFA solves this!
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by crackmandu View Post
I'm also keeping a keen eye on this, especially as Wavelab 9 is exceedingly buggy on my system, enough so that I don't want to stick with Steinberg.

Right now I pitch / catch in Logic Pro X, use RX for forensics and SRC, and do spacing in HOFA. It's the fastest, stablest workflow for me, given what I have.

The big drawback is the SRC and the dither - not being able to use RX for this is a pain in HOFA. The workarounds for this at present are a drag. I'm hoping the new HOFA solves this!
FWIW, WaveLab 9.5 is quite a bit more stable overall. Most of the issues are/were from 3rd party plugins and not WaveLab itself.

Most plugin developers don't test their stuff in WaveLab and assume what passes in Cubase will be OK in WaveLab which is not the case.

9 out of 10 times the fix has to happen via the plugin developer.

I'm actually pretty curious HOFA Pro will be with 3rd party plugins in terms of stability. It seems that the smaller mastering DAWs don't get as much QA attention as the bigger DAWs like Pro Tools, Logic, Cubase, etc. and plugins are more likely to have bugs and cause crashes.

I agree that it'd be smart for HOFA to add something like the custom montage copy in WaveLab so that you can do all your assembly and processing at the high sample rate, render a file of the full project to lock in the processing, and then have it rebuild the project at the externally SRC'd sample rate. Then add your dither of choice and render the 1644 and 2444 WAVs, DDP, or remove dither all together for mp3 encoding.

For me, WaveLab is worth the price just for the assembly, metadata, and rendering options.
Old 2 weeks ago
Mastering Moderator

Verified Member
Quote:
FWIW, WaveLab 9.5 is quite a bit more stable overall. Most of the issues are/were from 3rd party plugins and not WaveLab itself.

Most plugin developers don't test their stuff in WaveLab and assume what passes in Cubase will be OK in WaveLab which is not the case.

9 out of 10 times the fix has to happen via the plugin developer.

I'm actually pretty curious HOFA Pro will be with 3rd party plugins in terms of stability. It seems that the smaller mastering DAWs don't get as much QA attention as the bigger DAWs like Pro Tools, Logic, Cubase, etc. and plugins are more likely to have bugs and cause crashes.

I agree that it'd be smart for HOFA to add something like the custom montage copy in WaveLab so that you can do all your assembly and processing at the high sample rate, render a file of the full project to lock in the processing, and then have it rebuild the project at the externally SRC'd sample rate. Then add your dither of choice and render the 1644 and 2444 WAVs, DDP, or remove dither all together for mp3 encoding.

For me, WaveLab is worth the price just for the assembly, metadata, and rendering options.
Can you compile/assembly masters , trim fades, maybe do te last bit of processing at hi-res in WL (I see it supports up to 384) and then downsample for say a 44 16 DDP for CD in one go?
p.s. I just realised it is on sale right now (WL9.5 I mean)
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riccardo View Post
Can you compile/assembly masters , trim fades, maybe do te last bit of processing at hi-res in WL (I see it supports up to 384) and then downsample for say a 44 16 DDP for CD in one go?
p.s. I just realised it is on sale right now (WL9.5 I mean)
Yes. That is the beauty of it. You assemble once at your high sample rate, and there are a few ways to get down to 1644/DDP.

You can use the built-in SRC of WaveLab which now uses SoX and considered one of the better ones. This is really simple to do.

Or if you prefer to use your own external SRC like RX or Saracon, you can first render a full floating point WAV of the full project at the native sample rate and use the setting to make new montage when the render is done. The new montage carries over all your CD-Text/metadata, markers etc. Then you can add a 24-bit dither to render 24-bit/high sample rate WAV files if you want to.

To get down to 44.1k, I use the custom montage copy feature meaning I SRC that full floating point WAV of the full project down to 44.1k floating point using RX or Saracon, and then with the previously mentioned montage open, you can tell WaveLab to make a new montage based on the externally SRC'd file of the whole project, and in seconds you have a montage at 44.1k that is 100% accurate to the main montage other than the sample rate change.

Now you change the inserted live dither plugin to 16-bit and you are ready to render a DDP or 1644 WAVs, or remove the dither and render reference mp3 files.

The beauty is that with the right metadata preset, all your CD-Text is transposed to metadata if you want for the rendered WAV and mp3 files, and CD-Text/metadata in general is very easy and comprehensive in WaveLab, and a big part of why I use it.

It looks like a lot in words but it's all done in a matter of seconds (plus the time needed for your computer to render the audio) and I think currently the best option for Mac users.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

I've been using DSP Quattro for mastering on a Mac and like it a lot. Check it out if your are interested. I have issues with the Hofa app.
Old 1 week ago
Mastering Moderator

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilburguy View Post
I've been using DSP Quattro for mastering on a Mac and like it a lot. Check it out if your are interested. I have issues with the Hofa app.
Just curious what issues have you encountered with Hofa so far Will?
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search