The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
cd baby cd for distribution isrc and metadata Effects Pedals, Units & Accessories
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

cd baby cd for distribution isrc and metadata

HI
I'm releasing a song for an artist on CD Baby.

My question is will i receive a 44.1 16bit wave (not just mp3s) with isrc codes and meta data embedded from cd baby to keep track of royalties that I can burn or press cds from?

thanks
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

I'm not really sure what your question is. Who are you expecting to receive WAV files from. CD Baby or your mastering engineer?

Regardless of any metadata embedded in the WAV files, if you decide to press audio CDs, the CD-Text and ISRC codes will only be present if they are entered as CD-Text. Usually a DDP image or CD-R master is used and special care must be taken to ensure that CD-Text and IRSC codes are properly added.

You can't just send off WAV files for CD pressing and expect anything other than the audio to be there. Not recommended.

Sounds like you need a mastering engineer or this book:
https://www.amazon.com/Mastering-Aud...5460XHD57PDNGE
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

My question is will I receive a wave file from Cd Baby with the isrc and metadata
embedded that can be either be pressed or duplicated via cd-r.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamb00 View Post
My question is will I receive a wave file from Cd Baby with the isrc and metadata
embedded that can be either be pressed or duplicated via cd-r.
I don't know the answer but I would say doubtful but since CD Baby and Disc Makers are partners, they may offer CD duplication/replication for you.

In order for the ISRC and metadata/CD-Text to be embedded in a way for it to translate to audio CD, it must be in the form a DDP image, or a physical CD-R. Cue/bin could also work but also leaves room for error.

I don't think they will supply you with a production ready DDP. This is what a mastering studio would do for you. You may be doing it somewhat backwards or at least sideways.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

See above but I'm not sure why you wouldn't ask this question directly to CD Baby.

Typically the mastering engineer creates all the necessary parts for the digital dlistrubtuin and production.

DDP or CD-R for CD production.

16-bit/44.1k WAV files for basic digital distro, sometimes 24-bit/high sample rate for other digital distribution options. Reference mp3s as well as vinyl pre-master is also sometimes needed.

It's all part of the mastering process.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

thanks Justin,
Didn't realize a downloaded wave file wouldn't contain the isrc and metadata.

I will probably contact a mastering studio
Old 1 week ago
Yeah, Justin nailed it.

Not to confuse things...but, if you have registered your album/project with CD Baby, they will assign ISRCs to your songs for free if you do not have your own. This typically happens after you've submitted/uploaded 16x44.1 WAV files or a DDP set. After you upload they have a series of questions, one of which is if you want them to assign ISRCs. If you request them, they will embed the codes before actual CD production.

You can also request codes prior to uploading audio files - you will have to email or call to make it happen and will need to have already started/committed to your project with them. You can then give those codes to your mastering engineer to embed in a DDP set prior to uploading audio content to CD Baby, if you prefer.

Again, ISRCs will only be present in the physical CD metadata - and/or - for digital distribution if the digital distributor you choose allows for them to be entered. If you did not request codes from CD Baby prior to uploading, they should appear within your CD Baby Artist Account as you move forward. Copy them and what song they correspond with, then keep them in a google doc or the like so you can easily reference as needed. You will want to make sure to use the same codes for those songs regardless of distribution/format for life.

Last edited by sir hills; 1 week ago at 05:22 PM..
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

Yeah, this is all part of why I started offering ISRC code generation for my clients at the start of the project. I would get emails like this where ISRC codes were not thought about or mentioned, and then after the digital distribution is set up, they would ask if I can add the ISRC codes generated by the digital distributor to the CD master which was often already in production so the answer was usually "no".

What complicates it is that unless educated by the mastering engineer, the average non-tech savvy client thinks that you can just send WAV files to the CD plant and have everything work out.

Even if the WAV files contain metadata, somebody has to assemble a DDP or make a CD-R master and also make sure the ISRC codes and CD-Text are purposefully entered for the CD production.

You can't just blindly make a CD with Toast or iTunes or Nero and expect that all the data will be present automatically.

This is why there are mastering engineers because mastering is about more than making the audio sound good.
Old 4 days ago
Gear Addict

thanks Justin
Another question.
Say I upload with cd baby, I know how to view each songs isrc they supply.
Say if I wanted to upload the same song on Soundcloud or use DMDS to send to radio stations.
How can I make sure the version I send to the radio station has the isrc and meta data?

Is it still true that the best way to utilize isrc codes is supply a piece of paper with them written down with the music sent? I read that somewhere but not sure if it's out of date.

thanks
Old 4 days ago
Gear Addict

I've been informed that Nero Standard 2018 Suite can embed isrc codes.

Once I burn an audio cd with the isrc codes, when I rip that cd will the isrc codes be transferred?
thanks
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
I've been informed that Nero Standard 2018 Suite can embed isrc codes.

Once I burn an audio cd with the isrc codes, when I rip that cd will the isrc codes be transferred?
thanks
Transferred to where? Try it and see?

Mostly like it's going to depend on what software you are using and what you're really trying to do.
Old 4 days ago
Gear Addict

I mean burn a disc with the isrc codes and other meta data embedded with Nero, then if I rip the cd to digitally deliver the track to radio stations via wave file or with DMDS, will the isrc codes be embedded in the rip of the cd?

I would just try this but I'd have to buy Nero. Hoping I can ensure it will accomplish my needs before I spend $100 on Nero.

thanks
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
I mean burn a disc with the isrc codes and other meta data embedded with Nero, then if I rip the cd to digitally deliver the track to radio stations via wave file or with DMDS, will the isrc codes be embedded in the rip of the cd?

I would just try this but I'd have to buy Nero. Hoping I can ensure it will accomplish my needs before I spend $100 on Nero.

thanks
You are completely over-complicating the process. Find an app that can embed ISRC codes in WAV files.

Here's a simple/free one:
http://www.sonorissoftware.com/catal...itor-p-59.html

There are others out there that are more advanced.
Old 4 days ago
Gear Addict

thanks Justin
I tend to over complicate things. Appreciate you replies
best
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search