The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
New Antelope Audio Amari Mastering/Audiophile Desktop AD/DA Converter
Old 30th October 2017
Gear Head

New Antelope Audio Amari Mastering/Audiophile Desktop AD/DA Converter

New Antelope Audio Amari
Attached Thumbnails
New Antelope Audio Amari Mastering/Audiophile Desktop AD/DA Converter-antelope-amari_94714_1.jpg   New Antelope Audio Amari Mastering/Audiophile Desktop AD/DA Converter-antelope-amari_94714_2.jpg  
Old 30th October 2017
Gear Head

Mastering-grade USB Audio Interface with real-time FX modeling

Amari is a hi-end audio interface. Its majestic sound will suit mixing engineers, mastering gurus and the most dedicated audiophiles. The beautifully designed desktop unit is equipped with a slick touchscreen display. It offers A/B monitoring, 4 analog inputs, and 2 high power headphone (HP) outputs with dedicated volume control, preferred output resistance and power limiter settings.

Studio legends in a tiny box

Amari features the FPGA FX models of legendary compressors and EQs. Enjoy the vintage authentic sound of iconic studio units. All gear is modeled real-time and behaves just like the hardware originals.

Integrated FX list consists of:

EQ Legends: VEQ-1A, VEQ-4K Series, VEQ-4K Black, VEQ-4K Brown, VEQ-4K Pink, VEQ-4K Orange, BAE-1073, BAE 1084, VEQ-55A, VEQ-55B, Parametric EQ

Vintage Compressors: VCA160, Tube176, FET-A76, Feedforward Compressor

Key Features:

FPGA based FX of legendary Vintage EQs & Compressors
High-End 24-bit 192kHz AD and DA converters
2 independent pairs of monitor outputs
2 high power headphone outputs with dedicated volume control for each output with user selectable output resistance and power limiter
1 balanced headphone output with dedicated volume control
Large touchscreen display to ease the advanced functions control and visualization
Dedicated knobs and buttons for fast access of the most frequent controls
Stunning design
Sync inputs for better system integration and improved audio clarity
Different effects available
Convenient and easy to use control panel on PC/MAC
Love at first listen

Amari offers the signature Antelope Audio industry acclaimed clocking and best-in-class 192 kHz conversion using the latest ESS (DAC) and AKM (ADC) chips. The unit comes with two independent monitor output pairs on XLR and TRS. Four analog inputs are available on the back panel – 2 on RCA and 2 on combo XLR. In addition Amari provides digital connectivity on AES/EBU, S/PDIF and TOSLINK.

Incredible headphone control

Antelope Audio have always equipped their units with multiple headphone outs. Amari brings this to the next level. Its 2 high power headphone outputs feature individual volume control. Each output allows users to select preferred output resistance which automatically adapts to your headphones impedance and power limiter settings in order to protect gear and most importantly hearing.

Mastering-grade conversion

Amari employs the industry renowned Antelope Audio clocking technologies and the manufacturer’s vast experience in analog circuitry and conversion. The mastering-grade audio interface offers 192 kHz, 24-bit conversion.

Top clocking

The desktop interface features the Acoustically Focused Clocking (AFC) jitter management technology pioneered by Antelope Audio’s Fourth generation, 64-bit clocking allows a stable and precise sampling of any incoming audio signal. Amari is also equipped with an Atomic Clock input (fully 10MX compatible) for maximum stability. An additional Word Clock input is also available.

Flexible control set

The control set of Amari is distributed between dedicated fast-access knobs and buttons for the most frequent controls, the impressive touchscreen display and intuitive software control panel. The touchscreen is used for the more advanced functions and volume levels visualization. With the software control panel users can route, save and load presets and employ the Antelope Audio FPGA FX library.

SPECIFICATIONS:

CONNECTIVITY

Inputs

Analog
1x Stereo Pair ballanced on ComboXLR

1x Stereo Pair unballanced on RCA

Digital
1x AES/EBU

1x S/PDIF

1x TOSLINK

Sync
1x WC

1x Atomic

Outputs

Analog
1x Stereo Pair balanced on XLR. Output Level: 22dBu max, digital trim available

1x Stereo Pair balanced on TRS. Output Level: 22dBu max, digital trim available

2x Stereo Headphone outs on ComboXLR with individual volume control knob configurable to drive 1 pair fully balanced headphone set with dedicated volume control. Output Level: 20dBu max, digital trim available

Digital
1x AES/EBU

1x S/PDIF

1x TOSLINK

Bidirectional
1x USB 3.0 on Type-B connector

Power
DC Power Inlet with lock nut

AD Conversion

24 bit 192kHz
Input: Full Differential Inputs
S/(N+D): 112 dB (S/N: 124 dB)
Dynamic Range: 124 dB
DA Conversion

24 bit 192kHz
Dynamic Range: 129dB
CLOCKING

4th Generation 64-bit Acoustically focused clock technology
Samplerates supported:
PCM: 32kHz, 44.1kHz, 48kHz, 88.2kHz, 96kHz, 176.4kHz, 192kHz
User Interface:

dedicated Volume knob for the Analog outputs with integrated push button for extra functionality
dedicated Mono, Dim and Mute buttons for Analog outputs
dedicated Headphone Volume knobs for each Headphone output with integrated button for extra functionality (mute most probably)
touchscreen for additional features control. May be combined with Volume knob button in some menus
Weight (Approx):
3.0 kg/ 6.61 lbs

Dimensions (Approx):

Width: 310 mm / 12.2”
Height: 91 mm / 3.6”
Depth: 253 mm /9.9”
Old 30th October 2017
Gear Head

Have anyone heard anything about this unit??? I hope they make a 1U rackmount version of this unit with the same sleek design. It will probably be the new Pure2 or Pure4.
Amari to be desktop version for more portable use. New Pure2/4 to be rackmount version thats more suitable for mastering studio use????
Old 15th January 2018
Lives for gear

This should be intro'ed at NAMM
(I just did a photo/video shoot this weekend with an Antelope rep at my studio for their release)

Pristine sounding converters (what you would expect from an Antelope mastering-grade converter)
Much wider than I expected (3/4 rack width? instead of 1/2 like a Lynx Hilo)

We only had beta drivers to work with, so couldn't test the built-in FX yet :(

Wish it had a separate monitor out DAC like the lynx hilo though - thats key in my setup (main in / out loop through my analog chain, then final limiter plugin then back out monitoring DAC to speakers)
Old 4th April 2019
Gear Head

Looks like it's FINALLY going to be released. At twice the price listed about a year and a half ago. Kind of what I'd expect from Antelope at this point . Damn… still looks pretty awesome though.
Old 14th April 2019
Gear Head

It also looks like they’re not including the Afx2 software integration. I had high hopes for this unit but now that it’s twice the price and no Afx2.

YouTube. 7 minute mark
Old 24th April 2019
Here for the gear

Just logged into this site for the first time in years to bitch about it not having the AFX. I've been looking for quite some time for the perfect end-all device to fill a bunch of gaps for me. I really thought the Amari was going to be it... but if it doesn't have the AFX, then it's just another interface/converter that I don't need.
Old 29th April 2019
Here for the gear

Question about new AMARI:
How many different analog output channels possible (including a HeadPhones ones) ?
Old 30th April 2019
Gear Nut

Quote:
Outputs

Analog
1x Stereo Pair balanced on XLR. Output Level: 22dBu max, digital trim available

1x Stereo Pair balanced on TRS. Output Level: 22dBu max, digital trim available

2x Stereo Headphone outs on ComboXLR with individual volume control knob configurable to drive 1 pair fully balanced headphone set with dedicated volume control. Output Level: 20dBu max, digital trim available
Looks like 4 pair.
Old 1st May 2019
Gear Head

This thing is $4602 after tax in Canada! For what's basically a two channel interface!!

Last edited by audiowreck; 3rd June 2019 at 11:25 AM..
Old 1st May 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiowreck View Post
This thing is $4602 after tax in Canada! For a basically what's a two channel interface!!
And now imagine, someone will buy just a digital converter without any audio interface for such price and still feels, it's worth of it

Michal
Old 1st May 2019
Where are the upper level sampling rates? I also see no upsampling or other features like DSD and MQA. Mytek has that stuff in a $1995 ADC.
Old 1st May 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Williams View Post
Where are the upper level sampling rates? I also see no upsampling or other features like DSD and MQA. Mytek has that stuff in a $1995 ADC.
It's all written at the product webpage
https://en.antelopeaudio.com/product...specifications
PCM 384kHz, DSD256 (DoP via USB, likely half via SPDIF/AES due to bandwidth).

Well, this is both ADC and DAC in one box.
If they decided to skip MQA hype (I don't know, there is certainly rather powerful FPGA, where they can do that as well, but none of their previous products even for HiFi market has that), then that is rather for applause to me.

Michal
Old 30th May 2019
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiowreck View Post
It also looks like they’re not including the Afx2 software integration. I had high hopes for this unit but now that it’s twice the price and no Afx2.

YouTube. 7 minute mark
Considering its been a year and a half that they haven't delivered on AFX2DAW for PC yet...

Antelope likes to pushing out hardware with promises, then barely look back at them half-baked.

They make good stuff, but they're QC is hit or miss, and their promises fulfilled slowly, if ever. I'm not going to buy anything else from them, its an unnecessary gamble, and its a shame because if you get a unit that does what you need, and by some miracle survives long enough, you get your money's worth.
Old 30th May 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by msmucr View Post
And now imagine, someone will buy just a digital converter without any audio interface for such price and still feels, it's worth of it

Michal
Hi Michael,

When you say "digital converter without any audio interface" what are you referring to??
Old 30th May 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slug1 View Post
Hi Michael,

When you say "digital converter without any audio interface" what are you referring to??
Hi,

I was referring to standalone AD or DA converters, which doesn't have USB, Thunderbolt, just standardized digital I/Os.
In the sense, that even if such converter doesn't have any direct computer connectivity (so there isn't built-in audio interface), it might be still worth of price in Amari ballpark.
If it sounds good (I haven't heard it yet), then in realm of converters suitable for mastering duties, it doesn't look as outrageously priced to me.

Because according to some previous posts, some people expects kind of all-in-one box giving them high-performance audio interface, first-class conversion, monitor controller and giving them DSP accelerated effects in DAW.. if that ended being so expensive.
For sure, if someone looks at that from viewpoint of some recording/mixing interfaces (like small UAD Apollos or say Antelope Discrete lineup), with regards to I/O count, included DSP effects or what's not features.. then well.. it is probably expensive.

But I still see it primarily as an converter and other features might be just a bonus.
And honestly if they omit those completely and made also box without all that stuff (say like Lavry), I wouldn't mind that at all.
I have pretty much mixed experience with Antelope (Orion32, Zodiac), I think it can really sounds good for its price (of course personal taste and fit to other gear takes place), but what puts it down are rushed, unfinished features and unreliable software/drivers.. at least IME.
But when you use it via digital I/Os, hooked to other solid interface (RME, Lynx..), it can work very well.
Lately they put strong emphasis on own HW DSP effects (with famous mostly "unnamed" digital replicas), but I personally don't care too much about that for mastering, especially with current abundance of native effects.
Similarly with MQA (basic fold, advanced fold or master fold), DSD (64, 128, 256, 512.. 1024 next summer) whatever.. But that's just me , maybe others has customers for that.

Michal
Old 31st May 2019
Lives for gear

Got it. I sort of thought that but wanted to make sure.

Yeah it looks promising feature wise. Haven't used Antelop so not sure about sound other than what others have posted. But there seem to be units that are amazing for less, even for separate AD DA pairs. I guess we'll feedback at some point when we get some users. Thank you sir.
Old 3rd June 2019
Here for the gear

Someone test this unit against the other mastering converters ? I’m really very curious about how it sound the Amari . I have the zen tour rev 2017 and I like the sound , the clocking it’s really great and it have a modern sound with a wide stereo and a focused center . Im planning pair the antelope with Dangerous AD+..
Old 4th June 2019
Anyone know what analog parts they used? Feeding a 5534 opamp from an ESS 9038 DAC won't help.
Old 4 weeks ago
Company Rep

Hey guys,

We are monitoring this thread for the AMÁRI - https://www.gearslutz.com/board/new-...l#post13941384

Please either comment there or message me if you have any questions.
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher Ridley View Post
Looks like 4 pair.
It seems, there is only 1 pair of individual channels output (?)

... AMÁRI takes advantage of no fewer than eight CS43198 DAC chips — four per channel — to offer unparalleled sound quality and an improved 138dB dynamic range ...
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Sorry for asking this question, but can anyone explain to me what this devise is/ does?
Old 1 week ago
Company Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sruzycki View Post
Sorry for asking this question, but can anyone explain to me what this devise is/ does?
Hi!

The AMÁRI is a reference grade AD/DA converter, it can be used both as a home audiophile converter and as a studio converter.

What is special about it:
  • 138dB dynamic range on the D/A
  • Headphone weight membrane compensation (a really cool feature that lets you fine tune the output impedance on the headphone outputs)
  • 10M input (atomic clock input)
  • 128dB dynamic range on the AD
  • 64-bit Acoustically focused clock technology

To sum it up, it's a converter on steroids that sounds incredible and has multiple uses.

I would be more than glad to answer any other questions that might come up - feel free to message me directly.
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Wondering if any mastering engineers here have used this yet ? Any reviews or comparisons would be helpful
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

I’m curious as well
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search