The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Ozone 8 Mas­ter­ing Plugins
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Ozone 8

Hasn't been mentioned here, because the upgrade policy etc are just a bloodbath. But really good processing. Spectral shaper (in advanced) is really good. It kind of reminds me of what that Soothe plugin does but maybe simpler. Like Soothe meets de-edger. I replaced some instances of Essence with it for taming harsh mids, and it was faster and the results were better.

Also the improved limiter modes are very classy.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

I'm really impressed with the improvements in the maximizer (IRC IV), iZotope raised the bar there and took it to another level in my opinion. A new standard for limiters in my book. Separating transient and sustain parts for the stereo liking was brilliant as well. The transient emphasis behavior also changed for the better, it doesn't sound so hyped and artificial now.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercado_Negro View Post
I'm really impressed with the improvements in the maximizer (IRC IV), iZotope raised the bar there and took it to another level in my opinion. A new standard for limiters in my book. Separating transient and sustain parts for the stereo liking was brilliant as well. The transient emphasis behavior also changed for the better, it doesn't sound so hyped and artificial now.
Yep, way smoother. Also IRC 3 as well.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Addict

How has the IRC 3 improved...sound wise? Not including treaking any new pararmeters.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by thermos View Post
Hasn't been mentioned here, because the upgrade policy etc are just a bloodbath...
Are you referring to high costs for upgrade, which I observed as well?
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmarra View Post
How has the IRC 3 improved...sound wise? Not including treaking any new pararmeters.
It sounds smoother. It lost that Izotope zing, and seems to handle transients in a more natural way.

I upgraded through plugindiscounts.com and it was really cheap.
Old 4 weeks ago
Is the Ozone 8 realy necessary ?

I mean, having the Ozone 7 standard, would it bring something worth the upgrade?

I dont see myself using vintage limiter/er/compressor and tape effect on a master (mostly in my mixing stage)

My concern is more about the algorithmes of the modules and transparency.

while the Ozone 8 standard bring a major difference from the 7 standard ?

wish i could demo but cannot demo the Ozone 7 and compare it to the Ozone 8
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Spectral Shaper is pretty nice.
Old 4 weeks ago
Quote:
It sounds smoother. It lost that Izotope zing, and seems to handle transients in a more natural way.

I upgraded through plugindiscounts.com and it was really cheap.
Interesting. "That Izotope zing" is the main reason I use the Ozone limiter, on the occasions that I do. Still, interested to hear the new algorithm when I get a chance to demo it.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Verified Member
I haven't tried the spectral shaper, I'll dig into that today.

IRC3 sounds 'the same but better', nice improvement. Although I have noticed some odd superduperduper transient distortion stuff (like a transient shaper on 20000%) on certain material.

IRC4 has lost that zing as thermos said, but it still has that Ozone sound. It's much better for sure, but it's still there in a different way. Almost like the zingy sound has been transposed down into the mids/lower-ish mids.

I was thinking about it for a while the other day (I'm a riot), and it's a bit like they noise-shaped the zing. That was the best description I could think of...

Anyway, it's very good. Between Limitless / Elevate transient stage > Limitless (boiling my egg atm) / Ozone 8 and even Ozone 7 when you need zing, we have some excellent choices.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Has the regular EQ sound been improved? Previous versions always sounded bittle/cold to me.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by macc View Post
I haven't tried the spectral shaper, I'll dig into that today.

IRC3 sounds 'the same but better', nice improvement. Although I have noticed some odd superduperduper transient distortion stuff (like a transient shaper on 20000%) on certain material.

IRC4 has lost that zing as thermos said, but it still has that Ozone sound. It's much better for sure, but it's still there in a different way. Almost like the zingy sound has been transposed down into the mids/lower-ish mids.

I was thinking about it for a while the other day (I'm a riot), and it's a bit like they noise-shaped the zing. That was the best description I could think of...

Anyway, it's very good. Between Limitless / Elevate transient stage > Limitless (boiling my egg atm) / Ozone 8 and even Ozone 7 when you need zing, we have some excellent choices.
Haha, thats kinda true. I'm using the speed (character) faster than I did the old version which seems to make it more transparent. The old one used to get edgy, but this one you can almost hear the release times at the default 2 setting (which gave it that low mid polish) so I back it off. Spectral shaper is really a great processor, worth the upgrade alone.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:
Spectral shaper is really a great processor, worth the upgrade alone.
Yeah, it's pretty nice. It needs (much) longer release times available IMO, but I get the feeling it will keep appearing in my plugin rack. Does the job of a few other things in one.

The MS setup with linking is SERIOUSLY annoying though. As in, must be a bug.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Actually after some more time with it, I'm not entirely convinced with the SS.

Over say, 1-2kHz it gets very audible, very fast on a lot of material. Even on light setting, well-timed time constants, doing 1dB I just couldn't stand to leave it on the audio in a lot of cases. Essence and/or Soothe sounded much better. It gets 'squishy' in a phasey way. You hear what I can only describe as phase squish. Once you pick it, it's very obvious. It seems to do better when working very fast, which (speculating) might make sense as the tech came from O7 IRCIV I believe. But you can't 'gain ride' an eq with it in most cases.

It's just a bit too simple if you ask me. Some kind of knee, much longer release times, and a little more control over it would go a long way. Needs work, basically.

I'm being a bit harsh here - I'll still find uses for it. But Essence/De-Edger/Soothe cover each base rather better IMHHHO.
Old 4 weeks ago
first impression - the limiter is a winner!
but the second impression counts :-)
Old 4 weeks ago
I've had a little play and been quite impressed with the limiter too. Previously I usually used IRC III on the "pumping" setting. With Ozone 8 the "balanced" setting sounds more like the old "pumping" setting to my ears but, as mentioned above, a tick more organic sounding/less edgy.

I'll probably end up upgrading but I think I'll keep Ozone 7 installed. Sometimes I really appreciate the upper-mid edge that it can bring to the picture.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Verified Member
IRC3 caused some vocals to distort yesterday, seemingly when they weren't at the threshold, even with the character automated to max. Was an odd one.
Old 4 weeks ago
Quote:

I'm being a bit harsh here - I'll still find uses for it. But Essence/De-Edger/Soothe cover each base rather better IMHHHO.
i prefer de-edger in the highs unequivocal, but i get some good results in the low end
Old 3 weeks ago
Excited to try it out, thanks guys for detailed feedback !
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
It's just a bit too simple if you ask me. Some kind of knee, much longer release times, and a little more control over it would go a long way. Needs work, basically.
%100 agreement on this one. Needs much much more control over the times and the release especially could go a lot slower.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Verified Member
It seems to excel at fixing upper bass/low mid mud without killing kicks. Very good, saved my bacon on something yesterday.

The MS handling/implementation is either broken or just deliberately absolutely weird. Anyone figured that out? Is it just me?

Re Maximiser: IRC3 is as awesome as the old IRC3 (which was my go to for a long time), but better. Generally I am much preferring it to IRC4, it seems to break up in odd ways much less and keep the 'holisticness' of the signal. If that makes any sense at all. Very pleased with that.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
It seems to excel at fixing upper bass/low mid mud without killing kicks. Very good, saved my bacon on something yesterday.

The MS handling/implementation is either broken or just deliberately absolutely weird. Anyone figured that out? Is it just me?

Re Maximiser: IRC3 is as awesome as the old IRC3 (which was my go to for a long time), but better. Generally I am much preferring it to IRC4, it seems to break up in odd ways much less and keep the 'holisticness' of the signal. If that makes any sense at all. Very pleased with that.
Demoed O8 recently and really enjoyed the Limiter as it does sound a bit smoother than O7 which was one of my go-to's. Also Like @macc IRC3 sounds the best to me as I really don't like what IRC4 does to the mix once I have it EQed to the way I need it to sit. I want my limiter to not re-EQ the mix drastically...I'm so picky on Limiters because of this. The old Sonnox is another great limiter that does less harm IMO once set correctly to the mix.

I will probably will upgrade to O8 but will keep O7 just for the Limiter as it does have its use when you need that O7 zing.

The only thing I wish Izotope updated was the EQ workflow for M/S...it's horrible as it is today.
Old 3 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin P. View Post
Spectral Shaper is pretty nice.
Works like a charm for me.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Rant alert!

Wanted to buy the update , but I can't buy it VAT free- even though I have a valid VAT number and never had a problem on their site before.

Izotope came with a funny excuse that PayPal will handle my VAT deduction after I pay full price with VAT included - as its impossible to buy anything VAT free thru PayPal on their site.

Will check with my acountant if this is even possible or even legal in EU.

And they should fix a buggy RX 6 first , which I bought recently (thru PayPal without VAT on their site ) and have to use RX 4 to get the job done.

RX6 is still on 1.00 since release despite many annoying bugs - that were confirmed by Izotope support team when I notified them.

Slowly getting fed up with their zero support for pro customers and focusing mainly on mass marketing products.

They should spend money on bug fixing and not fancy tutorial videos.

Seems I won't be using their products anymore, even tough I was ready to pay for their ridiculous upgrade scheme.

So long Izotope :(
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregor z View Post
Rant alert!

Wanted to buy the update , but I can't buy it VAT free- even though I have a valid VAT number and never had a problem on their site before.

Izotope came with a funny excuse that PayPal will handle my VAT deduction after I pay full price with VAT included - as its impossible to buy anything VAT free thru PayPal on their site.

And they should fix a buggy RX 6 first , which I bought recently (thru PayPal without VAT on their site ) and have to use RX 4 to get the job done.
If you buy the update at Thomann or other retailers, vat. shouldn´t be problem.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by gorka View Post
Never thought about that. Not sure if I want to upgrade anymore.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by gorka View Post
But that doesn't solve the issue, right?
I agree with gregor, that "online companies" too often hide behind their virtual curtain and refuse responsibily.

Let's see, how this evolves.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by cemski View Post
But that doesn't solve the issue, right?
I agree with gregor, that "online companies" too often hide behind their virtual curtain and refuse responsibily.

Let's see, how this evolves.
My post was meant as a way to solve his problem, not as an excuse for izotope .

I also experienced the same with several companies over the years.
That´s why I prefer to buy at retailers instead of software companies.
Acustica, for example finally solved this at least...
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Got another email with detailed explanation how to purchase VAT free on PayPal from Izotope, and eventually bought the update, despite the reservations I have for their support and upgrade policy. Lets hear if it was worth it.

They were right, VAT was deducted after confirming payment thru PayPal.

Nevertheless , I still think they should focus more on existing product updates and less on promotional videos .

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregor z View Post
Rant alert!

RX6 is still on 1.00 since release despite many annoying bugs - that were confirmed by Izotope support team when I notified them.

Slowly getting fed up with their zero support for pro customers and focusing mainly on mass marketing products.

They should spend money on bug fixing and not fancy tutorial videos.

Seems I won't be using their products anymore, even tough I was ready to pay for their ridiculous upgrade scheme.

So long Izotope :(
Old 2 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by honjr View Post
Works like a charm for me.
Further work with spectral shaper has shown it to be the best plugin tool I've seen BY FAR for deharshing obnoxious harsh piano inharmonicities (can't speak yet about other uses). Although the tool lacks some flexibility - users can only choose between Light, Medium, and Heavy ratios (i.e. ratios of 1.5, 2, and 4) the superb audio quality, low latency and manageable cpu strain allow SS to be used for tracking as well as mixing and mastering - a HUGE value, not to be underestimated!! In fact, if adding more continuous parameter adjustability were to increase latency and cpu hit I'd rather SS stay the way it is. I too was not particularly happy to see the upgrade rates (they should be distributed more fairly based on what you have already purchased) but the upgrade to 8 adv'd from 7 adv'd for about USD127 was totally worth it for me. It may not be worth it for everyone.
Mentioned Products
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+  Submit Thread to Reddit Reddit 

Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search