The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Eventide / Newfangled Audio Elevate
Old 4th October 2018
Does the clipper within Elevate feature built in oversampling? I have not found anything on the web that mentions it.
Old 5th October 2018
Gear Addict

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by theMuzzl3 View Post
Does the clipper within Elevate feature built in oversampling? I have not found anything on the web that mentions it.
The clipper in Elevate does not oversample for two reasons.

1. The goal is to limit the final output to be strictly below the ceiling, adding a downsampling stage after the clipper would re-introduce peaks above the ceiling.

2. The clipper is run only on the transients, which by definition don't contain tonal material. Clipping tonal material is the only time you will hear audible aliasing.

Dan
Old 5th October 2018
I recall reading in one of the threads that a new version would take care of ISPs. I cannot find any new settings or switches in the plug-in, and I'm certainly getting ISPs even though Elevate is the last thing in the mastering chain(apart from dither). Am I missing anything? Thanks!
Old 5th October 2018
Gear Addict

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncovered Pitch View Post
I recall reading in one of the threads that a new version would take care of ISPs. I cannot find any new settings or switches in the plug-in, and I'm certainly getting ISPs even though Elevate is the last thing in the mastering chain(apart from dither). Am I missing anything? Thanks!
There's a TRUE PEAK button next to the LIMITER label on the master page in versions 1.5 and higher. It's off be default, but just click it on.
Old 5th October 2018
Gear Guru
I just used the two free updates that we got for free. Man the saturation tool is nice and the transient tool does some cool subtle processing. Great suite of products with the very cool eq.....
Old 5th October 2018
Gear Addict

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by ardis View Post
I just used the two free updates that we got for free. Man the saturation tool is nice and the transient tool does some cool subtle processing. Great suite of products with the very cool eq.....
I should probably market more. Anyone have any ideas how, let me know.
Old 5th October 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGillespie View Post
There's a TRUE PEAK button next to the LIMITER label on the master page in versions 1.5 and higher. It's off be default, but just click it on.
Thanks! Just ran a quick acoustic guitar loop through it and once volume-matched the before and after were very similar-much more so than with other limiters I've tried. Probably best to "mix into it" -the same as with dither- to avoid any disappointments in the very last stages. Those kinds of "digital safeguards" rarely make the sound more satisfying to listen to so better swallow the pill early.
Old 27th October 2018
Quote:
The clipper in Elevate does not oversample for two reasons.

1. The goal is to limit the final output to be strictly below the ceiling, adding a downsampling stage after the clipper would re-introduce peaks above the ceiling.

2. The clipper is run only on the transients, which by definition don't contain tonal material. Clipping tonal material is the only time you will hear audible aliasing.

Dan
Thanks for clearing that up. Thats pretty nice to have a final clipper that only clips transient material. Is there any argument towards suggesting that transient material might have some type of tonal quality to it, in some cases; or is it just a fact, that audible transients don't have any tonal quality? And, by "tonal material," are you implying "also harmonic material?"

As far as limiting the final output below the ceiling:

I ran the plugin through a test (see below, I can't seem to find the true peak button), and my final loudness meter(s) were reading true peaks over +0 dBTP; and so I decided to slap a final limiter after this plugin (one that handles true peaks 100% accurately, to stay below 0 dBFS). This behavior (going over 0 dBFS) was present with the clipper bypassed or activated. In fact, they were pushing well beyond +1 (perhaps +1.5, if memory serves correct)... so I just dropped the ceiling to -2 dB, and slapped an Ozone Maximizer after it, with very little final limiting happening in the Ozone Maximizer stage. Is that bad practice?

I know that this is kind of knit-picky of me, and many would argue that going over 0 dBTP is not a bad thing; but this is one thing that I would hope to be corrected or changed, in a future version of this plugin.

That aside, this plugin is EXTREMELY versatile, and seemed to be able to be an "invisible limiter," or add pretty much any type of character that I'd want from a final limiter multi-stage plugin. It was able to push way more loud than a single instance of Ozone 8 Maximizer (in my tests, I am not saying this is the case for every one [the most I can get out of 1 ozone maximizer is about 3.5 dB of limiting, where as Elevate seemed to "not distort" or "break" well beyond that point]). I have yet to test this against DMG Limitless, Fabfilter Pro-L 2, Flux Elixer, PSP Xenon, Voxengo Elephant, TDR Limiter No. 6, or others (which are on my list of limiter plugins to test). Between this plugin, AirWindows ADClip 7 (and/or StandardClip and/or KClip 3 Pro), and Ozone Maximizer... I seem to be able to achieve any result that I am pushing towards, so I may not end up running tests vs. the others.

*EDIT (added the following)*:

Quote:
I must be blind, I can not find that true peak button!!
Old 28th October 2018
Quote:
Screen shot:
Attached Thumbnails
Eventide / Newfangled Audio Elevate-elevate-true-peak.png  
Old 28th October 2018
Gear Addict

Verified Member
Quote:
Thanks for clearing that up. Thats pretty nice to have a final clipper that only clips transient material. Is there any argument towards suggesting that transient material might have some type of tonal quality to it, in some cases; or is it just a fact, that audible transients don't have any tonal quality? And, by "tonal material," are you implying "also harmonic material?"

As far as limiting the final output below the ceiling:

I ran the plugin through a test (see below, I can't seem to find the true peak button), and my final loudness meter(s) were reading true peaks over +0 dBTP; and so I decided to slap a final limiter after this plugin (one that handles true peaks 100% accurately, to stay below 0 dBFS). This behavior (going over 0 dBFS) was present with the clipper bypassed or activated. In fact, they were pushing well beyond +1 (perhaps +1.5, if memory serves correct)... so I just dropped the ceiling to -2 dB, and slapped an Ozone Maximizer after it, with very little final limiting happening in the Ozone Maximizer stage. Is that bad practice?

I know that this is kind of knit-picky of me, and many would argue that going over 0 dBTP is not a bad thing; but this is one thing that I would hope to be corrected or changed, in a future version of this plugin.

That aside, this plugin is EXTREMELY versatile, and seemed to be able to be an "invisible limiter," or add pretty much any type of character that I'd want from a final limiter multi-stage plugin. It was able to push way more loud than a single instance of Ozone 8 Maximizer (in my tests, I am not saying this is the case for every one [the most I can get out of 1 ozone maximizer is about 3.5 dB of limiting, where as Elevate seemed to "not distort" or "break" well beyond that point]). I have yet to test this against DMG Limitless, Fabfilter Pro-L 2, Flux Elixer, PSP Xenon, Voxengo Elephant, TDR Limiter No. 6, or others (which are on my list of limiter plugins to test). Between this plugin, AirWindows ADClip 7 (and/or StandardClip and/or KClip 3 Pro), and Ozone Maximizer... I seem to be able to achieve any result that I am pushing towards, so I may not end up running tests vs. the others.

*EDIT (added the following)*:

Thanks Simon, that is the button.

The Muzzle,

It's possible you have a version older than 1.5 which wouldn't have that button. To get the latest
version go to Downloads | Newfangled Audio and download the latest installer.

Dan
Old 16th November 2018
Gear Addict

FYI...Elevate is currently on Black Friday special $66.08 at PluginDiscounts dot com.

I wish I had waited just a couple of months to buy this!!!

It's listed under Eventide, BTW. A bunch of other goodies there at a discount right now.
Old 25th March 2019
Gear Guru
Figured I'd bump this thread.... I've been using Elevate as my final step since I got it. I do not do mastering for a living and use it for demos. It consistently delivers and even as a very basic user, is a staple. Trying to get more in tune with the whole suite however. There is a LOT to chew on...... Wondering how others are using it, having had time to let it sink in.......?
Old 16th May 2019
Gear Maniac

Verified Member
No trans no clip

So I just mastered a track that was a very very nice mix to begin with. The mix already had a very smooth frequency response and tonal balance.

I did masters...
1. With both transient and clipping at different levels and adaptive strengths.
2. Without transient and clipping.

The winner by far was the one with no transient or clipping. I used 26 bands with about 60% adaptive.

I very much like the feel of what came out. Adjusting the speed of the limiting and adaptive is crucial.

I wanted just a little more 40Hz and I moved the lowest band to that frequency. I got way more than I was expecting and even .3dBs was noticeable.

The ones with even modest transient or clipping sounded grainy to me. Probably because the mix was so good and anything "extra" sounded out of place.

Been using it for about a year. I think that my default starting point is going to be with transient and clipping off. Then get the speed of the limiting and adaptive right then see IF it can be improved with the transient and clipping combo.

One tip. If using the true peak, switch the output to Auto then your output will be limited to the true peak level.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search