The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Eventide / Newfangled Audio Elevate
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

It's taking me some time to learn when the limiter section on this works and so far not finding much use for the drive clipper section.

But the transient part is kinda great on some electronic stuff. Just mastered a minimal trappy sub bass donk edm pop type track with it and used the transient section only with a modified version of the EDM master preset (still the same bands, but more adaptive band independence, not so much emphasis on the lowest band and a little less on the total amount slider) then fed that into my usual go to clipper to limiter combo for edm. Absolutely killed it on this track. Sounds huge, without blowing up the LUFS.

Very happy with the purchase if only for this kind of limited use.
Old 6 days ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by btfnk View Post
Just mastered a minimal trappy sub bass donk edm pop type track with it ...
And somehow I know exactly how this song sounds like
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by btfnk View Post
It's taking me some time to learn when the limiter section on this works and so far not finding much use for the drive clipper section.

But the transient part is kinda great on some electronic stuff. Just mastered a minimal trappy sub bass donk edm pop type track with it and used the transient section only with a modified version of the EDM master preset (still the same bands, but more adaptive band independence, not so much emphasis on the lowest band and a little less on the total amount slider) then fed that into my usual go to clipper to limiter combo for edm. Absolutely killed it on this track. Sounds huge, without blowing up the LUFS.

Very happy with the purchase if only for this kind of limited use.

Having spent even longer with it yesterday - and working predominantly on electronic stuff - I'm pretty sure that's how I'll use it too. As it is, the actual limiter is only useful for the most absolutely bass-heavy material; adaptive gain = goodbye bass. Even setting up a band or two at say 0-20Hz and 20-40Hz to try to stop it sucking out too much of the desired low end doesn't help as much as I had hoped. I'm going to say it (sorry); it needs a weighting control a la Limitless.

But: the transient section, however, is borderline genius. 100% worth the price of admission. Superbly implemented and sounds great in tests so far.

I went IN on it yesterday, and have a few (IMHO!) useful suggestions for Dan. I'm a bit worried I'm being really annoying though, so if you'd prefer it off this thread Dan, then let me know.

Also sorry for talking a fair bit about other limiters on this thread, kind of hard not to!
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by macc View Post

Also sorry for talking a fair bit about other limiters on this thread, kind of hard not to!
I started it, so please blame me....
Edit: no, it was Reynaud in fact. So blame him...

The more I use Elevate the more I get used to it (man, I should finally buy it...).
I do not know your way of working, but I do work "into the limiter" while mastering. And I think it will make a big differences in those comparisons as its all about the chain.
I decided to give it some real world use within the next days as I always need some time to see what aspects Im able to handle within the process and what aspects are annoying me over time.
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by thermos View Post
O7 IRC 4 sounds closer to Elevate than O8 does. Ozone 8's IRC4 is more natural and laid back. Actually Ozone 8's IRC3 is also more laid back than 7s is. So if you like the forwardness of Elevate it seems like its own thing.
Yep I agree with this assessment. Ozone 8 in general has this warm natural laid back feel in contrast making Elevate seem hyped. I still havent fully wrapped my head around each parameter of Elevate so Im sure I could get further varying results once Ive grasped it. Im enjoying both.
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by JP__ View Post
I started it, so please blame me....
Edit: no, it was Reynaud in fact. So blame him...

The more I use Elevate the more I get used to it (man, I should finally buy it...).
I do not know your way of working, but I do work "into the limiter" while mastering. And I think it will make a big differences in those comparisons as its all about the chain.
I decided to give it some real world use within the next days as I always need some time to see what aspects Im able to handle within the process and what aspects are annoying me over time.
Totally agreed - I work into the limiting too, that decision is usually made very very early in my process.

Loving the transient part feeding Limitless though. Very nice indeed.
Old 6 days ago
Gear Maniac

Verified Member
Quote:
Having spent even longer with it yesterday - and working predominantly on electronic stuff - I'm pretty sure that's how I'll use it too. As it is, the actual limiter is only useful for the most absolutely bass-heavy material; adaptive gain = goodbye bass. Even setting up a band or two at say 0-20Hz and 20-40Hz to try to stop it sucking out too much of the desired low end doesn't help as much as I had hoped. I'm going to say it (sorry); it needs a weighting control a la Limitless.

But: the transient section, however, is borderline genius. 100% worth the price of admission. Superbly implemented and sounds great in tests so far.

I went IN on it yesterday, and have a few (IMHO!) useful suggestions for Dan. I'm a bit worried I'm being really annoying though, so if you'd prefer it off this thread Dan, then let me know.

Hi Macc,

I take suggestions wherever you want to leave them, PM, email, or here. And this is y'alls thread, not mind; talk about what you want.

If you're having bass fade with particular settings, did you try bringing these back up in the EQ section? This is exactly what it's for.
Old 1 day ago
Lives for gear

Verified Member
While I have used Elevate exclusive for the last days I would say when I would call Limitless "British sounding", it clearly has this "American pop music sound": upfront with a lot of presence, but dynamically quite even over freq. While Limitless sound more loose/spiky, but maybe more natural and organic in a way(if a brickwall limiter is capable to sound like it either...). With both a low number of bands are mostly winning for me. You may loose control, but gain sound for sure. And with both very small steps can change a lot, so its often a 0.1 decision.

One thing that bothers me is that Elevate shows a lot more ISP than Limitless (even with oversampling off) when working in 96kHz. Why is it like that? Adding an oversampling option might help, but personally isnt the right move for me here. So Elevate needs headroom (which is ok for me, but clients might confuse it).
Old 1 day ago
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGillespie View Post
Hi Macc,

I take suggestions wherever you want to leave them, PM, email, or here. And this is y'alls thread, not mind; talk about what you want.

If you're having bass fade with particular settings, did you try bringing these back up in the EQ section? This is exactly what it's for.
Hey Dan,

I took a few days to check all this out rather than come back half-cocked...

I think the simplest way to put it is that speaking for myself, I'd much rather have that eq section be a 'sidechain / weighting / priority' section rather than a true in-line eq. You know, I just spent all that time eqing that damn song I just want the limiter to keep it like that (as far as possible in the real world), you know?

Perhaps that could be an option? To switch the eq to be in the sidechain, or similar?

A quick list of other suggestions / FRs / thoughts

- log freq view (it can be fiddly down the low end)
- some way to have simplified transient/eq curve drawing but still with the full selected number of bands working 'behind the scenes' (say, for tilt eq - drawing a tilt is a nightmare for a mousetard like me)
- per-section presets (so you can load a transient section curve/setup but leave everything else, for example)

Again, the transient section is worth the price of admission alone. Also been enjoying Equivocate. Top work.
Old 1 day ago
Gear Maniac

Verified Member
Quote:
Hey Dan,

I took a few days to check all this out rather than come back half-cocked...

I think the simplest way to put it is that speaking for myself, I'd much rather have that eq section be a 'sidechain / weighting / priority' section rather than a true in-line eq. You know, I just spent all that time eqing that damn song I just want the limiter to keep it like that (as far as possible in the real world), you know?

Perhaps that could be an option? To switch the eq to be in the sidechain, or similar?

A quick list of other suggestions / FRs / thoughts

- log freq view (it can be fiddly down the low end)
- some way to have simplified transient/eq curve drawing but still with the full selected number of bands working 'behind the scenes' (say, for tilt eq - drawing a tilt is a nightmare for a mousetard like me)
- per-section presets (so you can load a transient section curve/setup but leave everything else, for example)

Again, the transient section is worth the price of admission alone. Also been enjoying Equivocate. Top work.
Thanks, I've added these to the FR list and will take some time to best consider how to address them.

Thanks,
Dan
Old 1 day ago
Lives for gear

How much limiting are you guys doing to get it to get rid of your bass?

In my testing doing about 1.7 dB gain reduction on electronic stuff I am finding no problems.

The only thing I notice is that the tops and mids open up more as the limiter affects them less?

The actual bass levels don't drop. But I can see how by having clearer tops/mids it may seem comparatively that way.

Then again its all chain dependent so it could be that the way my hardware feeds it works quite well.
Old 1 day ago
Limiting novice here. It seems you really need to gain stage this. Figuring you don't want any red on the output, to stay clean? Sorry for the basic question but find I'm having to bring down the input more than normal, (so as to not get into limiting thru my DAW)....
Old 1 day ago
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by polybonk View Post
How much limiting are you guys doing to get it to get rid of your bass?

In my testing doing about 1.7 dB gain reduction on electronic stuff I am finding no problems.

The only thing I notice is that the tops and mids open up more as the limiter affects them less?

The actual bass levels don't drop. But I can see how by having clearer tops/mids it may seem comparatively that way.
Same difference, no? Relatively speaking it's the same, you're just not pushing it as hard as I do so it's less pronounced.

It's true - I hit my limiter quite differently to a lot of people round here. Much harder, primarily (this has been touched on a few times with teebaum), but it simply doesn't happen with most other limiters, regardless. There's always that tradeoff with bass vs distortion vs snap of course, and designers make their choices. I just want my cake and eat it
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+  Submit Thread to Reddit Reddit 

Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search