The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Oxford Limiter vs T Racks Stealth Limiter Dynamics Plugins
Old 11th September 2017
  #1
Gear Nut
 
DontaBlack's Avatar
 

Thread Starter
Oxford Limiter vs T Racks Stealth Limiter

What's up GS fam,

I own the T Racks BrickWall Limiter & love it. Sold a few beats recently, enabling me the option to buy some new toys. Have any of you had the chance to A/B the two. Im at tug of war as to which I should purchase. I'd be grateful for your take on it.
Old 11th September 2017
  #2
Lives for gear
 
SmoothTone's Avatar
 

Annoyingly not answering your question, but have you checked out the new Limiter No6 GE from TDL? Or the old (free) one for that matter? Or Voxengo Elephant 4? Or FabFilter Pro-L? Or the beast that is DMG Limitless? Those are all well worth considering IMO.
Old 11th September 2017
  #3
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmoothTone View Post
Annoyingly not answering your question, but have you checked out the new Limiter No6 GE from TDL? Or the old (free) one for that matter? Or Voxengo Elephant 4? Or FabFilter Pro-L? Or the beast that is DMG Limitless? Those are all well worth considering IMO.
exactly

elephant4
dmg limitless
pro-l
Old 11th September 2017
  #4
Gear Nut
 
DontaBlack's Avatar
 

Thread Starter
I know its all on taste, maybe this was a pointless thread, I wont even argue that, as im not even a mastering engineer, this thread was a moment of curiosity. Feel free to signal a mod to delete this thread, id do it myself if I could. They practically do the same thing, I have used Pro-L. I havent learned of the others, Ill give those a look. Preciate the realness. lol

Last edited by DontaBlack; 11th September 2017 at 08:58 PM..
Old 11th September 2017
  #5
Gear Addict
 

Stealth is the best simple brick wall I have tried retaining original program

Oxford is great but Stealth is my go to
Old 12th September 2017
  #6
Gear Nut
+1 for stealth limiter, it is really nice. It retains a good bit of low end thump when pushed. I actually prefer it to pro-l.

Oxford limiter getting a bit long in the tooth now, some much better options about.
Old 12th September 2017
  #7
Gear Addict
 

My next brickwall will most certainly be DMG
Old 13th September 2017
  #8
Gear Addict
 

Have Stealth - has a tendency to distort earlier than Limitless and Pro-L in my opinion.

I love the auto-gain monitoring function though.
Old 14th September 2017
  #9
Somnox is far better. Listen to the stereo of both. Its easy to hear and make your decision.
Old 14th September 2017
  #10
Gear Nut
 
DontaBlack's Avatar
 

Thread Starter
I was intrigued by the enhance fader on the oxford limiter, though I know that is a minor application, I probably would sparingly use. Hmm. . I may lean towards the Stealth L. Because of its price.
Old 16th September 2017
  #11
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by DontaBlack View Post
I was intrigued by the enhance fader on the oxford limiter, though I know that is a minor application, I probably would sparingly use. Hmm. . I may lean towards the Stealth L. Because of its price.
If you make beats you gotta try the new Limiter 6. That is what Ive been using since its release. No need to immediately purchase it either but you cant save your settings until you do. There is a lengthy video on youtube on its full functionality. Another nice option to try might be Slate Fg-x. Stealth L is kind of dry white bread imo. The draw of Limiter 6 is how much control you have to get as loud as you can while retaining transients and low end. I find striking a balance between those elements really helps sell beats. You can also further tame the high frequency energy which is useful. Goodluck
Old 16th September 2017
  #12
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DontaBlack View Post
I was intrigued by the enhance fader on the oxford limiter, though I know that is a minor application, I probably would sparingly use. Hmm. . I may lean towards the Stealth L. Because of its price.
I went in knowing I wanted to use the enhance fader and I use it probably wayyy too much! Love that thing and Inflator. I haven't given Stealth a try, but I personally love IK Multimedia mixing plugins. They are sprinkled all over every project.
Old 16th September 2017
  #13
Gear Nut
 
DontaBlack's Avatar
 

Thread Starter
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asher Bay View Post
If you make beats you gotta try the new Limiter 6. That is what Ive been using since its release. No need to immediately purchase it either but you cant save your settings until you do. There is a lengthy video on youtube on its full functionality. Another nice option to try might be Slate Fg-x. Stealth L is kind of dry white bread imo. The draw of Limiter 6 is how much control you have to get as loud as you can while retaining transients and low end. I find striking a balance between those elements really helps sell beats. You can also further tame the high frequency energy which is useful. Goodluck
Preciate that I work with both, instrumentals & artist. I'll definitely look into it!
Old 16th September 2017
  #14
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by DontaBlack View Post
Preciate that I work with both, instrumentals & artist. I'll definitely look into it!
No worries.
Old 17th September 2017
  #15
Gear Nut
 
DontaBlack's Avatar
 

Thread Starter
Question; I realized the Stealth Limiter has no attack or release, yet it doesn't cripple it as s a competing limiter. Anyone think they could chime in on this with an effective clear statement?
Old 17th September 2017
  #16
Lives for gear
 
Slug1's Avatar
L2 has release but no attack, Ozone Limiter which is one of the best has no attack or release, Slate FXG has no attack or release. So not totally uncommon. But I probably have 10 different limiters. AOM Invisible Limiter G2 is another great one. So many to choose from.
Old 17th September 2017
  #17
Gear Nut
With a limiter you would normally have a very fast attack anyway as you want nothing to get past. Modern limiter plugins have lookahead function so attack time is pretty much 0.

In my experience release settings for limiters should generally be as fast as you can get away with without distortion! In a mastering scenario your limiter release time is generally going to be fast so it recovers quick enough before the next transient arrives. Longer limiter release settings would be used for broadcast/live/system protection scenarios.

So I can see why Ik did away with these controls altogether on the stealth.

It is a very very good limiter in my opinion.

One thing Id say though it has a hpf built in labelled infrasonic filter. To my ears its a bit heavy handed. This defaults to on, so i have to remember to turn it off each time i use it. Small criticism though.
Old 17th September 2017
  #18
Lives for gear
 

Stealth is VERY good and excels at large gain reduction.

TDR is better when using very little.

Elephant splits the difference and is far more versatile but at the expense of workflow. You have a lot more to think about, but will get you closer to the ideal result.

As someone who self-masters and does some pseudo stuff for low budget clients who aren't sure if they want to spend the extra money for a professional master (a LOT is instrumental hip hop and EDM/house) ... I'd use these distinctions as the way to decide.

These three are my favorites/most used. Ozone and Fab are no slouches... and L2 still holds its own on a properly mixed song. But if I was to recommend only one it would be if these three and with each's strength being the deciding factor.
Old 19th September 2017
  #19
The new oxford limiter v2 is by far one of the most transparent with out the enhance and other functions ... it's def worth a buy and a manual read before using.. I find that the enhance can really help things from going brittle and flat when someone pushes too hard.. lots of features packed into the V2! I use the UAD version but want the native version.. will see if I can get a trade ... I doubt it tho
Old 21st September 2017
  #20
Gear Nut
 
DontaBlack's Avatar
 

Thread Starter
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaseUTB View Post
The new oxford limiter v2 is by far one of the most transparent with out the enhance and other functions ... it's def worth a buy and a manual read before using.. I find that the enhance can really help things from going brittle and flat when someone pushes too hard.. lots of features packed into the V2! I use the UAD version but want the native version.. will see if I can get a trade ... I doubt it tho

How many still pick that up also, whenever I get the free change to do something. So far the T-Rex stealth limiter has been phenomenal especially comparing it two the old T-Rex brickwall limiter.
Old 21st September 2017
  #21
Quote:
Originally Posted by DontaBlack View Post
Question; I realized the Stealth Limiter has no attack or release, yet it doesn't cripple it as s a competing limiter. Anyone think they could chime in on this with an effective clear statement?
The attack and release times are "built in."

Didn't really dig Stealth, but as always to each his own.

On softer, indie rock, organic music: Elephant (Incredible level of flexibility)

Mixes that need a bit of punch and presence: Sonnox (Also highly flexible, but in a different way than Elephant.

For electronic based productions, metal, and hard rock: Ozone 7. (After shooting it out with other limiters, plus others I didn't mention, the sub frequencies had the least amount of distortion, and held it together with the least amount of artifacts overall.

Sometimes, no limiter is the best type of limiter..
Old 2 weeks ago
  #22
T Racks Stealth Limiter is a pretty amazing limiter. Not too many features to mess with but it does a great job on the master buss.
Topic:
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump