The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
What is your 2017 mastering DAW DAW Software
View Poll Results: What is your main 2017 DAW for Mastering ?
Logic Pro X
13 Votes - 6.99%
Protools
30 Votes - 16.13%
Pyramix
6 Votes - 3.23%
Reaper
37 Votes - 19.89%
Sadie
5 Votes - 2.69%
Samplitude
13 Votes - 6.99%
Sequoia
17 Votes - 9.14%
Studio One
9 Votes - 4.84%
Wavelab
35 Votes - 18.82%
Other
21 Votes - 11.29%
Voters: 186. You may not vote on this poll

Old 19th August 2017
Gear Head

What is your 2017 mastering DAW

Hello Mastering Engineers !

As the question has not been put for a long time and because technological progress is fast, I'd like to know what is the Main DAW you actually (2017) use for your pro mastering plugin processing ?

Thank you

Last edited by phaz; 20th August 2017 at 09:16 AM.. Reason: Precision
Old 20th August 2017
Lives for gear

We really need ability to vote for more than one DAW. For example, I use REAPER to do the first part of the audio processing, and WaveLab to finish (or 100% in the box projects).

Pro Tools and Logic are fine for audio processing but do not really feature mastering specific features so I would not really consider them able to be used 100% for mastering except maybe if you master digital-only release single songs.

I know some others that use a multi-app approach and iZotope RX should get some love as well as being a useful tool.

My two cents.
Old 20th August 2017
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Hey! you forgot to include soundBlade HD in your list!

that's what I and many others use!

including 2 of the forum moderators :~)>

soundBlade HD

best, JT
Old 20th August 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin P. View Post
We really need ability to vote for more than one DAW. For example, I use REAPER to do the first part of the audio processing, and WaveLab to finish (or 100% in the box projects).
This
Old 20th August 2017
Gear Head

Quote:

Pro Tools and Logic are fine for audio processing but do not really feature mastering specific features so I would not really consider them able to be used 100% for mastering except maybe if you master digital-only release single songs.

I know some others that use a multi-app approach and iZotope RX should get some love as well as being a useful tool.

My two cents.
Thank you ;-)
I understand that, but I just want to be focused to the DAW that is Processing the most, the one where the Plugins processing is done, where the outboard gear loop is printed,... even if some final limiting or dither can be done in a second software.

This "Main DAW" is the one that has the most influence, is the most responsible of the quality of the sound processing, and the way this Main DAW is working with the third party plugins.

Last edited by phaz; 20th August 2017 at 01:08 PM.. Reason: spelling
Old 20th August 2017
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Tubb View Post

soundBlade HD

best, JT
That's what I was afraid of

And I did not find the way to change the options.

In this case you could check 'other', and point the missing DAW out in a message

Thank you Jerry.
Old 22nd August 2017
Gear Head

Thank you everybody for your participation ;-)
Old 23rd August 2017
Pro Tools and SoundBlade
Old 23rd August 2017
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul_G View Post
Pro Tools and SoundBlade
yep!

for many years!

best, jt
Old 23rd August 2017
my switch from samplitude to reaper safe me every day at least 1 hour.

my investment was around 1 week establish and practising.

return of investment after less than 2 month!
Old 23rd August 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by teebaum View Post

my investment was around 1 week establish and practising.

return of investment after less than 2 month!
Similar experience. I was using Pro Tools (digital/analog processing) followed by WaveLab to finish. Now I use REAPER (digital/analog processing) followed by WaveLab and REAPER saves so much time.

The initial time investment for learning REAPER was pretty big slowdown (including two failed attempts), but now after a year, the time saved by using REAPER instead of Pro Tools is huge. Even a year later I find little ways to speed things up or make my process easier in REAPER.

If REAPER had a better "mastering mode" similar to Studio One V3 or WaveLab montage I'd try to use it for 100% of the job but the really mastering specific stuff in REAPER falls short for my needs and preferences.
Old 24th August 2017
Craneslut

Verified Member
Sequoia, all day every day.

After ~14 years, I can't imagine switching - it's like the perfect sofa...
Old 24th August 2017
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by teebaum View Post
Really? What is so much better with Reaper?
I´m relatively happy with SAM...
Old 24th August 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by mirochandler View Post
Really? What is so much better with Reaper?
the list is long... let's start with render queue, render matrix, routing matrix, java script based plugins (as example - a inverse gain linker input/output-outboard) ASO...
Old 24th August 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mirochandler View Post
What is so much better with Reaper?
For me, it's the fact that it's cross-platform and available on OS X. Maybe it was because of the terrible PC at the first studio I worked at but I just don't have the patience for windows and I'm too brainwashed into the Mac ecosystem.

The Mac just works, day in and day out, every morning. If you invest a little time, I know you can fine tune a PC to run pretty smoothly but at the end of the day it's still Windows which does not compute well with my brain. I'm not saying one is better than the other but at this point, I would need to take a month off and truly dial in a PC rig which I don't have the time to do.

Sequoia is pretty attractive to me and it was exciting when they almost went OS X with it but they changed their mind.

Even though it's a two app process for me (REAPER/WaveLab plus RX6 as the REAPER external editor), it find it very efficient and very little I'd change about it.

The fact that I can stay on OS X is huge for me personally.
Old 24th August 2017
Lives for gear

Verified Member
of course it isn't really about what sort of DAW software you use, as long as it sounds good and gets the job done.

just find a DAW that fits your mindset and go with it.

jt
Old 24th August 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
of course it isn't really about what sort of DAW software you use, as long as it sounds good and gets the job done.

jt
Yep. That's kind of what I was getting at. As much as I wanted to love Triumph because all the Audiofile apps are built for Mac and have a nice clean look....holy **** does that app not make sense to my brain. I also confirmed that it also just don't do some things I needed it to that WaveLab can do which was the big problem.

They even let me stop in at their office to go over it so I gave it a few more weeks before giving up and reverting to what I was using.
Old 24th August 2017
Gear Head

Quote:

jt
Right
In the mean time, I find that every DAW doesn't work exactly the same way when used with a plugin chain. I made some null-test between two DAWs with exactly the same plugin chain and settings, and heard some (little) difference.
What I think is that a Popular DAW in mastering should be reassuring.
Old 24th August 2017
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Blackwood View Post
Sequoia, all day every day.

After ~14 years, I can't imagine switching - it's like the perfect sofa...
yeah. for me it's 18 years with wavelab. it's like a member of the family. i've stared at the montage screen for so long it might as well be part of my brain.

also, off topic, but speaking of sofas....some of the johnny depp movie 'black mass' was filmed in the alley behind my old place in boston. they rented our parking lot for a couple days to use as a staging area. we bought a couch with the proceeds. it's comfy. thanks johnny!
Old 25th August 2017
Gear Nut

WaveLab
Old 25th August 2017
Gear Addict

Quote:
The Mac just works, day in and day out, every morning. If you invest a little time, I know you can fine tune a PC to run pretty smoothly but at the end of the day it's still Windows which does not compute well with my brain. I'm not saying one is better than the other but at this point, I would need to take a month off and truly dial in a PC rig which I don't have the time to do.
Too much professional Audio and especially Acoustic relevanted software is not available on MAC, therefore it was never interesting for me. But for the handling and stability I would change to Apple.
Old 25th August 2017
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Cubase for recording and processing
Wavelab for checking
Hofa CD and Burn for DDP/CD/Metadata

Cubase is fine, I'm only using it as tape really.

Never felt the need for a fancy mastering DAW that does it all in one box. I have SADIE6 if I need it on another computer but I only really use it for bringing up legacy projects.
Old 5th September 2017
Gear Head

Thank you to all voters and participants ;-)
Old 5th September 2017
Gear Addict

I´m using cubase 8.5 for mastering and couldn´t be happier...I tried many other DAWs but cubase is just very stable and suits my workflow best. I tried to warm up with reaper and used it for some projects but in the end it was just not my cup of tea. the control room option in cubase is a big plus that I miss in other DAWs.
cubase def. should have been on the list. maybe it lacks some features such as creatung DDPs but for me that´s not a downside as I don´t have to rely on one app for each and every task.
Old 8th September 2017
I'm using Mixxbus 32C in a KX studio (linux) workstation for stem mastering and creating ddp with HOFA cd burn and DDP.
Old 13th September 2017

Verified Member
Quote:

soundBlade HD

best, JT
Yup, just upgraded it and all my options to the new version. Also have pro tools in the room as my primary source format.
Old 16th September 2017
Wow, a lof of Reaper users

When I started using Reaper for mastering (5/6 years ago) we were pretty much a minority around here. Never imagined to see the day where Reaper would be this high in a DAW poll on Gearslutz.
Old 16th September 2017
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayfrigo View Post
Yup, just upgraded it and all my options to the new version. Also have pro tools in the room as my primary source format.
then we're still in parallel universes Jay!

what(!) no temptation to switch to reaper (?) :~)>

i spent the entire week working on a huge 40 song compilation,

with both PT HD ~ and ~ sB HD in tandem, key command city.

but hey, i might just add reaper to my daws just for fun anyway.

best regards, jt
Attached Thumbnails
What is your 2017 mastering DAW-img_6045.jpg  
Old 17th September 2017
Gear Nut
I'm using Cubase 8.5 for processing / send & return. Then using Wavelab for compiling/checking/fades. Wavelab is worth the money for the batch processing functions alone IMO. I only use Cubase as I'm so familiar with it (been a user for nearly 25 years).

I have used Reaper, Sequioa and Pyramix before. Reaper seems to work great for mastering, I'd probably be using it if I wasn't already so familiar with Cubase.
Old 18th September 2017
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by CodFreefall View Post
I'm using Cubase 8.5 for processing / send & return. Then using Wavelab for compiling/checking/fades. Wavelab is worth the money for the batch processing functions alone IMO. I only use Cubase as I'm so familiar with it (been a user for nearly 25 years).

I have used Reaper, Sequioa and Pyramix before. Reaper seems to work great for mastering, I'd probably be using it if I wasn't already so familiar with Cubase.
same
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+  Submit Thread to Reddit Reddit 

Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search