The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Supposedly almost every track on this album peaks above 0dB. Can someone explain?
Old 10th August 2017
Here for the gear

Supposedly almost every track on this album peaks above 0dB. Can someone explain?

Hello all!

I recently stumbled upon a dynamic range database site and like any good audio nerd, I looked up my favorite albums to see their dynamic ranges, peaks, and RMS levels.

One of the albums I looked up was:
This Town Needs Guns - 13.0.0.0.0

Supposedly, most of this album peaks above 0dB!
And I've never noticed any clipping or distorting!

Am I missing something?
Is this site information not correct?

Bonus Question: Why do some albums have a variety of peak levels in the track listing while others have the same peak level for every song?

Thanks!

Marc

Here's the database site: Album list - Dynamic Range Database

View most liked answer
Old 10th August 2017
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Seeing overloads on a oversampling meter do not means you have clipping or distortion necessarily. Those resulting overloads are only an approximisation showing what the DAC might see while playback. Those overloads donot really exists in digital where the limit is always 0dBfs. So it hugely depends on the used DAC if those achieve any problems here. Most can handle those overloads without a problem.
All in all its mostly a theoretical issue and only very theoretical minded people might see bigger problems here.
We all have easy access to all kind of cool measurement tools nowerdays, but without fully knowing the deeper insights they are useless and only good for producing random fear...
Better enjoy the music instead of starring at numbers. Very less to gain here, really.
Old 10th August 2017
Lives for gear

The tracks on that album are "over" because they analyzed a lossy codec (MP3).
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search