The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Maselec MLA-4 Plugin alternatives ? Dynamics Plugins
Old 27th June 2017
Gear Maniac

Maselec MLA-4 Plugin alternatives ?

Hi everyone !

I am looking to have a "plugin" equivalent of my Maselec MLA-4 when I need to master in the box.
I love this multiband comp, especially the low band compression.
Thus I would like to ask opinions of other people here to see if anyone has an idea .
I've seen the Lindell 354E but not sure if it's good.

Also if you have any idea of good plugin for de-essing when mastering (I used to rely on hardware for that).

Thank you a lot guys .
Old 27th June 2017
Lives for gear

My go-to for any multiband tasks is Pro-MB from FabFilter. Excellent control and IIRC when in "dynamic phase" mode it acts more like dynamic EQ.

Speaking of dynamic EQs, you should check out TDL Nova, it's well worth a look for MB type processing.

For de-essing I stil predominantly use the trusty old Spitfish. Occasionally DMG Essence, but I prefer that for low end...

Come to think of it, Essence can be used as a band compressor AND de-esser and Pro-MB can be setup to de-ess, as can Nova. So you can cover a lot of bases with just one of these tools.

Hope that helps.
Old 27th June 2017
Lives for gear

For De-Essing in the box, here are a few options:

DMG Essence
Ozone Multi-Band Dynamics Module
Sonnox Oxford SuprEsser

The first two have native mid/side modes that help you hone in on center channel sibilance without harming the side channels.

The Sonnox one is interesting because of the auto gain/threshold setting. It's nice for applying to an entire song that has a larger dynamic range. The threshold will adapt to the louder and quieter sections so it remains effective without getting too aggressive.

I wanted to like the Eiosis De-Esser but I can't get it to not sound too aggressive. Maybe I need more time with with it.

For multiband comopression, I agree that FabFilter Pro-MB is the best in terms of sound and GUI. TDR Nova GE Dynamic EQ is also very useful.
Old 27th June 2017
Lives for gear

Flux's Multiband Dynamics Processor Alchemist has been reduced significantly as it is included in Flux's Full Pack bundle, which is currently 60% off (which is actually cheaper than just the standard pricing for Alchemist on its own).

For Dynamic EQ/DeEsser, WholeGrain Digital's DynPEQ is first choice, but be aware that it is currently OS X-only.

Last edited by reynaud; 27th June 2017 at 12:09 PM..
Old 27th June 2017
Lives for gear

If you have UAD platform the Precision MB is my go to when I need multiband.
Super precise at catching transient thanks to its detailed attack and release parameters. Also have some nice things worth mentionning like Minimum or linear phase mode, 5 bands, dry/wet on the main, "all" switch per parameter (link all attack together for exemple), compress / expand or gate per band etc...+ it actually looks a little bit like the mla 4 (GR meters and knobs)
Old 27th June 2017
Lives for gear

That beeing said the sound is nothing like an MLA4 obviously...
Old 27th June 2017
Gear Maniac

Thank you all for your help that's great !!! :D

I do have the DMG Essence, I use it most of the time for low-end when someone send me a track with a huge amount of sub that are not well controlled but that are needed (trap, rap, hip-hop and other karaoke mp3 based stuff -lol-). Never thought of it as a de-esser (whereas it's what's wirtten on it) .

I have the Nova it is nice as a dynamic EQ indeed, pretty transparent. And the free version is powerfull !

As anyone tried the Lindell 354E ? Seems to be on the vintage side of the spectrum. And I like sometimes to have some saturation when compressing the low-end ("low-end" vibe).

Thank you for your help guys !

I'm trying to have a software chain as I do with hardware.

I've already found my eliptical filter (Nugen, wonderfull), my saturation, master comp and EQ.
But still trying to find my de-esser, multiband comp and stereo widener (I'm not a fan of Waves S1 when I've tried it. It worked good when mixing but not so much on an entire mix in a mastering scenario for me).
Old 27th June 2017
Gear Maniac

Acustica have one coming, "inspired" by the MLA-3 if I'm not mistaken.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BUcObPwAH8w/

Judging by their recent work and their Titanium multi-band, I'd expect it to be quite impressive. Time will tell...

Meanwhile, DMG Essence, TDR Nova GE, and Soothe all have their strengths.

Definitely try Essence as a de-esser, and experiment with the oversampling and noise detection options.
Nova sounds best to me in the "Insane -" mode, try that if you haven't.
Soothe will have some big updates coming soon to make it more versatile.

Good luck in your search.
Old 27th June 2017
Lives for gear

I was actually going to edit my post to include the Lindell.

It's awesome and does have a more vintage vibe but with modern features such as mid/side.

I've only used it to manage the sub-frequencies so far but since the crossover points are user adjustable, maybe it can work as a de-easer.

The Brainworx dyn EQ is great as well.
Old 27th June 2017
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by B Elgin View Post
Acustica have one coming, "inspired" by the MLA-3 if I'm not mistaken.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BUcObPwAH8w/

Judging by their recent work and their Titanium multi-band, I'd expect it to be quite impressive. Time will tell...

Meanwhile, DMG Essence, TDR Nova GE, and Soothe all have their strengths.

Definitely try Essence as a de-esser, and experiment with the oversampling and noise detection options.
Nova sounds best to me in the "Insane -" mode, try that if you haven't.
Soothe will have some big updates coming soon to make it more versatile.

Good luck in your search.
Thank you I do need to try those mode and going more in depth with Essence. It seems to be a super powerfull tool.
Old 27th June 2017
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin P. View Post
I was actually going to edit my post to include the Lindell.

It's awesome and does have a more vintage vibe but with modern features such as mid/side.

I've only used it to manage the sub-frequencies so far but since the crossover points are user adjustable, maybe it can work as a de-easer.

The Brainworx dyn EQ is great as well.
Nice, I wasn't sure if it worth the price for the 254E but the 354E is too tempting...

Any idea as a stereo widener ? Not liking S1 so much when mastering .
Old 27th June 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelieR View Post
Nice, I wasn't sure if it worth the price for the 254E but the 354E is too tempting...

Any idea as a stereo widener ? Not liking S1 so much when mastering .
I haven't had much time with it but the 354E is great.

For stereo widening I try not to use it, but when needed, the Imager built into Ozone is pretty good and unique because you can widen using different settings for each band.

The widener found in Brainwork Modus EQ _v3 and bx_Control as well as Good Hertz Midside are also good at times. These things in general when used subtly at most.
Old 27th June 2017
Gear Addict

Quote:
still trying to find my de-esser, multiband comp and stereo widener
For deessing I find Essence the best in most situations.
For MB I would suggest Sonoris Multiband Compressor (also a TOP deesser).
For Widener its more hard to find, because the most of them will mess to much, give a go to DrMS Mathew Lane, but you know, I prefer go with EQ in MS to Wide things, also MB in MS in some cases...
Old 27th June 2017
Gear Maniac

Hmm the imager in Ozone seems to be interesting so. But paying full Ozone just for the imager is a shame ^^.

Will try Good Hertz MidSide ! Didn't know this one !

Sonoris Multiband and DrMS Mathew Lane, don't know those ones too (I am such a noob regarding software mastering).

I don't use widener too much also, but it is sometimes needed, when used on a maselec console it does wonder so worth a try since I've always found that S1 killed too much the mid punch.
Old 27th June 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Hmm the imager in Ozone seems to be interesting so. But paying full Ozone just for the imager is a shame ^^.

I don't use widener too much also, but it is sometimes needed, when used on a maselec console it does wonder so worth a try since I've always found that S1 killed too much the mid punch.
Yeah. I don't care for Ozone as the all-in-one solution it tries to be but the Advanced version allows you to load the individual modules and a few of them are really good.

I too have been leaving on the S & M control of the Dangerous Master hardware when needed but sometimes you need a good software option.
Old 27th June 2017
Lives for gear

Verified Member
FWIW I often use Essence for almost every task mentioned in this thread. Not exclusively, but very often. Obviously it doesn't do Haas-type widening, but it can do most of the rest. For an all-in-one MB, Fabfilter does well and is easier/faster to use until you have Essence under your spell...
Old 28th June 2017
For deessing I would recommend FabFilter Pro DS :The best deesser in my arsenal . next is Eiosis followed by Massey Deesser.
For multiband: McDsp ML4000. Can be transparent or very coloured. Highly recommended !
(The Flux Alchemist is nice too)
Old 28th June 2017
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin P. View Post
I too have been leaving on the S & M control of the Dangerous Master hardware when needed but sometimes you need a good software option.
Exactly, I needed this "hardware" stereo widening thing but in a software version.
Old 28th June 2017
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by arnoldorodeo View Post
For deessing I would recommend FabFilter Pro DS :The best deesser in my arsenal . next is Eiosis followed by Massey Deesser.
For multiband: McDsp ML4000. Can be transparent or very coloured. Highly recommended !
(The Flux Alchemist is nice too)
Cool will check that McDsp ML, I like the versatility as for non-colorful thing, I already got some classic Waves C4 (not wonderfull in a mastering context but really nice when mixing).
Old 28th June 2017
Lives for gear
The linear multiband that comes with some Cakewalk Sonar versions is extremely transparent. I also remember the WaveArts multiband to be very useful and smooth. The earlier versions of Ozone were great but I'm not happy with the new format and especially disappointed that the reverb is gone.
Old 2nd July 2017
Gear Maniac

Thank you all for your help !

I've really liked DrMs for mid-side widening, but I think I'll end up using it more in the mixing process than mastering process haha ^^.

For the multiband, I'll give a shot with the Lindell only for his coloration and tightness on the low-end. And I'll try the Fabfilter Pro-MB for more transparent task.

For de-essing, I'll learn more about my Essence and use the settings some of you advised me.

Thank you all for your participation anyway, that was fast, nice and enlightening
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search