The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
John Dent talks Analogue
Old 18th June 2017
Gear Head

John Dent talks Analogue

Hi there!

For me, analog is way more than a static calculation from an algorithm, known as plug-in. What is your experience?

Whilst visiting London, The Analogue Foundation team met with legendary mastering engineer John Dent at Phonica Records to discuss his theories on the continued importance of analogue sound. John’s back catalogue reads as a who’s who of contemporary music over the past 40 years and his continued dedication to analogue processes captures the spirit, energy and creativity of some of the world’s most influential artists. Watch the full interview to hear Dent’s story as well as his thoughts on the future of analogue production and it’s impact on the world around us.

Old 18th June 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundclass View Post
For me, analog is way more than a static calculation from an algorithm, known as plug-in. What is your experience?
My experience would be that it doesn't matter whether or what, since these tools tend to cover completely different demands. You'll find as much shiddy analogue crap and you'll find shiddy digital products.

My experience would also be that the whole idea of describing a modern audio algorithm as being "static" is ill informed.

These debates are boring and pointless, simply because music production has way more critical priorities, and people simply don't have a choice anyway. The whole A vs D debate is a classic example of Parkinson's law of trivially: People don't discuss the complicated aspects that really matter, say, composition, acoustics, mic techniques, creative value, planning and preparation, real instrumentation and so on. Instead, they rush into the intellectually most primitive details and glorify the whole debate beyond reason, including a not less primitive "chose your camp" patriotism.

Last edited by FabienTDR; 18th June 2017 at 10:34 PM..
Old 18th June 2017
Gear Head

Good digital was hard to find in the past. It might be that i'm a little bit traumatised from the grainy and technical sounding Logic Studio 9 plugins...unusable for me...never against something that improves the musicality, whether it's digital or analog.
Old 18th June 2017
Lives for gear

agree with John Dent! thanks for sharing
Old 19th June 2017
Lives for gear

so where are these 'shiddy' pieces of analogue equipment? i don't know a single piece that i think is awful.. from any reputable manufacturer.

there is always much room for user error. which are these awful pieces of analogue equipment?
Old 19th June 2017
Lives for gear
respectfully....are you young? were you making records in the 90s? the options available to the low budget diy'r then compared to now? it's no contest. digital wins in a landslide.
Old 19th June 2017
Lives for gear

John's not talking about diy/budget stuff, neither am I. i'm talking about reputable pieces of analogue hardware. which are these 'shiddy' pieces? simple question. no?
Old 19th June 2017
Well, you obviously had a reason to reduce it to "reputable piece of analogue gear". So if you prefer, "there's plenty non reputable gear out there, digital or not".
Old 19th June 2017
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timesaver800W View Post
so where are these 'shiddy' pieces of analogue equipment? i don't know a single piece that i think is awful.. from any reputable manufacturer.

there is always much room for user error. which are these awful pieces of analogue equipment?
mate, you've never used one of those cheapo DBX compressors then?

Analogue adds sound more often than digital

good or bad?

not sure

I have analogue gear being built right now, I just mastered my last three records ITB because they already sounded plenty dense and I just wanted to manipulate without anyone noticing...

I don't think I've mastered a Techno track without using the API2500 since I got it mind.
Old 19th June 2017
Gear Addict

Quote:
agree with John Dent! thanks for sharing
Many people are in this business for quite some decades and the more we start glorifying the good old times, the more we have to ask ourselves:
are the present times really that ****e, or are we just getting old...?

Old 19th June 2017
Gear Maniac

Why do everything on a laptop? I really miss the bulk, power consumption, extra noise, and the expense associated with racks full of analog gear.
Old 19th June 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by gorka View Post
Many people are in this business for quite some decades and the more we start glorifying the good old times, the more we have to ask ourselves:
are the present times really that ****e, or are we just getting old...?

so user scrags asks me if i'm young, and you ask me if i'm getting old? i really DO love this place age ain't nothing but a number!

i'm in it for the music first, tech a distant second.

doesn't John have a point though? doesn't analogue serve the music better? (of couse it does)

i LOVE the mans discography, what 2017 stuff comes close?
Old 20th June 2017
Gear Addict

Quote:
so user scrags asks me if i'm young, and you ask me if i'm getting old? i really DO love this place age ain't nothing but a number!

i'm in it for the music first, tech a distant second.

doesn't John have a point though? doesn't analogue serve the music better? (of couse it does)

i LOVE the mans discography, what 2017 stuff comes close?
I wasn´t talking about you personally.
More a reflection about Dent´s statements and ... people like myself .

I also love analogue and enjoy listening to music until the late 70s/ early 80s, before digital entered the scene.
The older I get, the more I enjoy it in comparison to contemporary relases.
There´s some reason in appreciating this but it´s also a typical sign of getting old...

There never have been greater and affordable digital tools than in the last years, which don´t make analogue obsolete but open completely new perpectives and possibilities.
Old 21st June 2017
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Nicely Said.

Explains why many of us MEs use a hybrid approach.

best, jt
Old 21st June 2017
Lives for gear

Verified Member
I use hybrid approach but definitely couldn't get a sound I'd be happy with without my final hardware chain. Hardware definitely has more life and character to my ears though good plug-ins certainly have there place.
Mentioned Products
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search