The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Bettermaker Mastering Limiter Dynamics Processors (HW)
Old 21st September 2017
Gear Maniac

Curious if the M/S section applies to the harmonics section...

Intrigued by the possibility of Frequency specific harmonic generation on say, 808's, and being able to do this only on the mono
Old 30th September 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by parisminzer View Post
Curious if the M/S section applies to the harmonics section...

Intrigued by the possibility of Frequency specific harmonic generation on say, 808's, and being able to do this only on the mono
Hi.
You can find the signal path diagram on our website.
Mastering Limiter « Bettermaker
Old 3rd October 2017
Gear Nut

Would have been cool to have a HDMI output of the screen with all it's metering!

Love to see a demo.. any distributors in Spain?
Old 3rd October 2017
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by currentstatus View Post
Would have been cool to have a HDMI output of the screen with all it's metering!

Love to see a demo.. any distributors in Spain?
We have a demo unit here. Just sent a PM.
Old 3rd October 2017
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Will there always be a long wait for these or is production eventually going to ramp up some?
Old 21st November 2017
Here for the gear

Got mine yesterday!
Looks Good!
Feels Good!
But how will it sound?
I will have to make a bigger whole into the Center of my M-Desk first.
Then patch it into the System.
I´ll report about it
Old 6th December 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by memyselfand_I View Post
Got mine yesterday!
Looks Good!
Feels Good!
But how will it sound?
I will have to make a bigger whole into the Center of my M-Desk first.
Then patch it into the System.
I´ll report about it
Good for you, in the Us is on back order
It's been two weeks, so how it's sounds?
can you elaborate if the clipper help to not peak your A/D
Can you do versions at -9 LUFS and -16 LUFS equal sound wise ?

Last edited by JVFM; 7th December 2017 at 11:45 PM.. Reason: more ?
Old 10th January 2018
Here for the gear

Sorry for the delay there was a lot of work to do by the End of the Year.

Send me a Dropboxlink to a file of yours and i´ll put it through.

"can you elaborate if the clipper help to not peak your A/D" = True

I´ll make a test between the softclipper of my elysia alpha (Nothing get´s past this one) and the clipper of the Bettermaker tomorrow.
Old 10th January 2018
Gear Addict

I've had a bit to listen to this limiter.

Very nice.

it's a fixed threshold (+18dBu), and the box itself maxes out at +24dBu ... so fine unless you run a very hot-signal chain. ... You do need to be aware of your calibration and chain. ((there is an option to re-calibrate the unit, but I haven't used it)).

The COLOR is where it's at! The odd generator is very nice to give balls, and meat to a fairly wide range (about 3 octaves I think) ... it's nice to give a bit of emphasis on mid's or highs as needed. The tone doesn't have the complexity of tubes .. but is VERY easy to dial in. . .Much more forgiving then gain-staging around in tube EQs. I wouldn't call it 'warmth', but 'fullness' is added. I found it's better in the low-mids, upper mids .. than the extreme low-lows, or high-highs. Which is nice, as the mids are the hardest part to get right. Density in the Mid-Range is a large part of loudness perception.

the color drive and mix % let you go from 0.25dB of boost to 9+dB of boost. I forgot my notes to the exact numbers at which combination .. but it can be subtle or overt... usable for true mastering.

the Even generator is like a special effects distortion unit. A very little will go a long way in mastering. (talking low-single digits here) ... but is excellent if you want that very over-driven gritty hip-hop type sound that is popular in some trap music. otherwise I keep it off, even seemingly moderate settings cause super gritty distortion. (which is it's function! Even harmonics are dirty gritty noise by nature). . . could be fun for tracking for a hardware WuTang type vocal sound.

The Clipper/Limiter itself I like. There is a forward sound to it, I'd say it's shared with their EQ. . there is a 'house sound' to both units. it sounds modern, clearly defined edges, bass extension seems to drop a bit or get tightened up. It's not 'wide on the bottom' ... Could just be the stereo-linked topology opposed to unlinked. For the type of sound this is often used for it works... This unit does not sounds like valves or transformers .. it's very 2018. Clean. but the Color allows attitude (very flexible in tone and amount)

the 'Limit' section on it's own I'm not a huge fan of (slow).. the CLIP section is very very good.

I'd suggest treating it as a clipper specifically. and use a fast-release time on the limiter and the Lim/Clip % control to basically 'round' the clipper a bit.... think of it as a clipper with timing-constants for groove . . I like that I can 'ease' the clipper if the edges start feeling too hard. I can 'relax' the sound. .

ie: the limiter (like all analog limiters I've personally used) sounds a bit 'soft'... a little too relaxed. It gets better at faster timings.. while the clipper (which I've always preferred anyway) is hard. The balance knob let's you strike a nice mix of timing constant vs clipping. I've found if you see the blue Limit meter moving a lot ... it's too much. Maybe a couple flashes and it's good... the ballistics of the meters are good on the Clip/Limit page.

Also to note, the limiter and clipper have calibrated meters in 0.25dB steps, which I appreciated.

... it sounds good ... but also, the wave-forms look good! Everyone is always going about ' micro-dynamics' and seeing those squiggly lines even on an other-wise flat-topped waveform. . . well this'll do that when set properly (see pic attached).

I personally ALSO clip the AD, even when I'm using this to clip as well. . . it'll be a couple weeks, but I'll bring it into the studio and compare it to the Larvy Gold. I'll report back then

the +/-0.1dB gain-stages on the input and output are excellent. and it makes a difference in sound .. pulling back a tenth and pushing up a tenth can get you right into that 'pocket' of clipping. . . the Color controls make it a very useful EQ (in the way an Ibis Color setting is useful) .. and the metering is nice. Particularly the dBFS/RMS needle ... however it seems they measure RMS a bit high. I was hitting like -4 RMS on their meter at what I would consider -8 or so on other meters ... it's just up to the weighting and timing calibration. Hopefully they expand that customization in future firm-ware updates..

And to be clear : .. I wrote the original manual for the EQ230 with Bob Katz, so I have a history with this company. But I bought this unit with my own dollas$$ and wasn't involved with any original development/testing.

** Attached is a pic of the waveform in a default install of Reaper... LUFS is +7dB ... plenty plenty loud** No distortion.
This was with maybe +4dB of color .. and at least 6dB of clipping on the meter .. (The BM was the only piece in the chain.. I made it do ALL the heavy lifting)

Before you ask. no I cannot share the audio, it's a commercial production. But I will say that the client approved this BM version vs. a less aggressive version, and that is what they will be releasing ...
Attached Thumbnails
Bettermaker Mastering Limiter-screen-shot-2018-01-10-3.58.40-pm.jpg  

Last edited by loji; 12th January 2018 at 08:09 PM..
Old 11th January 2018
Gear Addict

and for those who are interested ::

the Odd-Harmonics Color settings from my notes ..

Drive/Mix
100/100% = +9dB
100/ 1% = +4dB
1 / 1% = +1/3rd dB

. so you have a nice range with the EQ
Old 12th January 2018
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Interesting read - thank you! This just crept upwards in my 'try' list...
Old 12th January 2018
Lives for gear

Got mine about three weeks ago. I would agree with logi on all points. It’s placed after my Dangerous Master and before the AD. The clipper is definitely great, and when blended with the Limiter is really nice to get those last few dB before going back to digital. Also love the control of the input and output. It helps to hone in on the sweet spot when balancing Limiter and clipper. And the color is great, and as mentioned a little goes a long way. Really really nice unit.
Old 30th January 2018
Here for the gear
Thoughts?

So, I’m about to pull the trigger on a dedicated hardware limiter before the AD in my chain. Has anyone compared this to the Pendulum limiter? (it’s sort of a toss up between the two right now) I like the display and mid/side and harmonic options but more or less concerned that this compromises the limiter quality compared to the Pendulum.

Guess I should see if I can go demo one down at Vintage King, but curious if anyone has some “real world” comparisons on the limiter/clipper functions and how they weigh up against the Pendulum limiter.
Old 31st January 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dweaton View Post
So, I’m about to pull the trigger on a dedicated hardware limiter before the AD in my chain. Has anyone compared this to the Pendulum limiter? (it’s sort of a toss up between the two right now) I like the display and mid/side and harmonic options but more or less concerned that this compromises the limiter quality compared to the Pendulum.

Guess I should see if I can go demo one down at Vintage King, but curious if anyone has some “real world” comparisons on the limiter/clipper functions and how they weigh up against the Pendulum limiter.
I have both and now use both. I don’t use the Pendulum for any limiting though. Just for its incredibly clean analog gain. It always distorted when I used it for limiting. But it’s beautiful and transparent analog path is great for pushing up levels in the analog domain. I use the Pendulum at the end of my chain to push the levels up. I use the Bettermaker for clipping/limiting. And it’s controls let me gain with finer resolution. In 2018 if I had to buy one it would be the Bettermaker hands down. But I’m glad I bought the Pendulum and won’t be parting with it! It will remain a fixture in my chain.
Old 2nd February 2018
Here for the gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slug1 View Post
I have both and now use both.
Cool thanks. Seems like the BM ML is they way to go.

I placed an order for one and it will be here Thursday.

I’m looking forward to trying it out.
Old 9th February 2018
Here for the gear
I’ve been using in this in the studio the last few days.
Recalibrated the inputs to -20dbFS 1k sine tone.

So far the in/out gain, clipper/limiting combo, and the width seem the most useable and actually work quite well.

Finding I’ve been able to get stuff in the pocket before the A/D really well with this last in the chain.
Verdict: it’s great.

Not too into the color section. Hopefully I’ll find it useful for something down the road.

Tend to like the transformer options on the other pieces of gear in my chain. I really really wish the color could be implemented in the mid/side. circuit (like the VSM-2) that would make it much more usuable in mastering and a gamechanger all together.

Cool box. Simple and does its job as described. It’s a keeper.
Old 10th February 2018
Lives for gear

I have used mine on about 100 masters now.

I must point out that my unit had a significant burn in period over a few days. When first fired up the output would have much higher spikes than measured later on it the week so take that into consideration when demoing a new unit. This parallels a few engineers saying it took about a week before they got totally comfortable with it.

Its not a brickwall limiter and pairs nicely with the Maselec MPL2 post bettermaker Limiter. MPL2 catches some of those wild bits.

I have found that the Gyraf Infundibulum and Limit one before it also work very well for some nice density. With those 4 to chose from most of the time I am not using compression other than the Fairman TMC. Very easy to hit the upper levels of the loudness wars without plugins if that is your cup of tea. Not that I do so myself.

Other than personal chain observations I find I agree with loji. Great review!

I would rank in order of importance for my workflow:
(This is not really a list of which one is better given that they all do something very different to one another.)

1 Magneto-Dynamic Infundibulum
2 Maselec MPL2
3 Bettermaker Limiter
4 Rockruepel limit.one

That said my chain is radically different these days having added the JCF Latte and SPL PQ at the same time. Those 2 really change the way everything works considering how unusual they both are, eg the SPL PQ sits best post Limit.one/infundibulum.
Old 30th May 2018
Here for the gear

I too have the Mastering Limiter, just before the AD , just an amazing piece of equipment!!. I like it a lot, makes a itb mix get alive to my ears.
Old 31st July 2018
Here for the gear
very solid

What a great, solid and usable piece of gear this mastering limiter is!
After a year I bought it, it now is an essential part of my mastering rig.

Sometimes I don't even limit with it, it's just for the color and the great sounding MS matrix.

For all the owners out there, new plugin and firmware versions are out, offering new functionality but also changing some old one so careful when updating.
Old 16th August 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by loji View Post
I've had a bit to listen to this limiter.

I personally ALSO clip the AD, even when I'm using this to clip as well. . . it'll be a couple weeks, but I'll bring it into the studio and compare it to the Larvy Gold. I'll report back then
Hey Loji,
Did you ever get a chance to bring the Bettermaker into the studio and compare the clipping characteristics of the Bettermaker to the Lavry Gold?
Curious about your thoughts on that.
Old 16th August 2018
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Switchcraft View Post
Hey Loji,
Did you ever get a chance to bring the Bettermaker into the studio and compare the clipping characteristics of the Bettermaker to the Lavry Gold?
Curious about your thoughts on that.
Yes, I ended up using a bit of both if I was going for max level. the 1/10th dB output of the BM limiter was perfect for hitting just the right level into the AD. (regardless of which AD you're using/abusing)
Old 17th August 2018
Lives for gear

Thats good to hear. I am currently driving my converters with a pendulum PL2, but the 2dB increments are too broad to make it work most of the time. I also don't like the sound of the gain on that unit, it always sounded smeary to me so I leave it off as much as I can. Even though analog limiters are slow as you say, I do love the sound of the PL2 doing 0.5->1 dB of GR. I am interested to see if the BM and PL2 behave well together or if the PL2 finds its way out of my rack. I have a BM coming next week.
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear
Reporting back.
The saturation options saved the day on this crusty punk album recently and I’ve been getting into using the odd/even harmonics more and more.

At first I didn’t like it that much but I’m now finding them useful more and more with really really subtle use.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search