The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Christopher Cross - Sailing
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Christopher Cross - Sailing

This has been a favorite of mine since I was a wee lad. I recently purchased the CD and although I really don't like the CD overall, the song Sailing is amazing.

Also the recording quality and mix is noticeably better on Sailing.

The song writing and mix on Sailing are up there with some of the best that I've heard.

Old 1 week ago
M2E
Lives for gear

Funny enough, when I met my wife, she asked me what my favorite song of all time was, I said Sailing and she fell out of her chair.
It was her's too.

Incredible song and production.

Avant did a nice remake as well.

Marc
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by M2E View Post
Funny enough, when I met my wife, she asked me what my favorite song of all time was, I said Sailing and she fell out of her chair.
It was her's too.

Incredible song and production.

Avant did a nice remake as well.

Marc
My first girl crush and me held hands after we both found out that our favorite song on the radio was Sailing. So many good memories. This song has magic in it, not sure how but it does.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcgood View Post
This has been a favorite of mine since I was a wee lad. I recently purchased the CD and although I really don't like the CD overall, the song Sailing is amazing.

Also the recording quality and mix is noticeably better on Sailing.

The song writing and mix on Sailing are up there with some of the best that I've heard.

Agreed it's one of the best cuts ever!
Engineered by one of my best friends Chet Himes.
Best Regards, JT
https://youtu.be/GkuJyk-fzCc
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Yeah, there's something really blessed about this song
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Re. Sailing, nice kick drum accent @ 1.29, not something you hear often these days. I see the track was 'one of the first digitally recorded songs to chart, utilizing the 3M Digital Recording System' (Wikipedia).
Old 1 week ago
I prefer Ride Like the Wind from this album. Overall he's a bit too easy listening for my taste.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Verified Member
This record Swept the 1981 Grammy Awards with 6 wins!
Just sayin' ...JT

Last edited by Jerry Tubb; 1 week ago at 01:11 PM.. Reason: editing is fun!
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Tubb View Post
Agreed it's one of the best cuts ever!
Engineered by one of my best friends Chet Himes.
Best Regards, JT
Sent Chet Himes a red P3S ME a long time ago, never heard back, lol
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Just sayin' ...JT
And well it should. Yes he's "easy listening"....but like David Gates, he's terrific and sounded like nothing else on the radio at the time.

Gorgeous strings....real unlike most today...made a huge difference.

TH
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear
Check Alan Parsons "On Air" CD, a track called "Heaven is so far away" featuring Christopher Cross on vocals.

Absolutely gorgeous!
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Just sayin' ...JT
Chris Cross was huge, it's hard to overstate the impact of his debut record ... after a second tepid album, and a guest appearance or two, he disappeared without a trace - fastest rise and fall I can recall in my lifetime.

An interesting bit of trivia: Christopher Cross was an established electric guitarist in Texas for many years before "making it", he sold Duane Allman the Les Paul Duane used in later years - that was Chris's guitar. The hookup was made through Billy Gibbons. Who knew?
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharp11 View Post
The strings are the work of Clause Ogermann, a veteran of many great recordings under his own name as well as in partnership with Michael Brecker ,Bill Evans, and Jobim - to name a few.

Along with Paul Buckmaster, Clause was a huge step up from the usual Hollywood/NY, boiler-plate string arrangers.
Yes Claus is a legend, his outside string arrangements on Diana Krull's "Quiet Nights" album is one of my favorites.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

The light vocal sound, the words, the strings, the wind chimes - everything about this song takes you to the place he's singing about.

Great tune. Great production. Great art.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Head

"Sailing" has always posed an interesting challenge for me. (As in "what-makes-a-hit-song?" challenge.)

While the song itself is nice, and Cross's voice is pleasing, well-recorded, and captures the sentiment, it was producer Michael Omartian (I believe) who came up with the timelessly beautiful ostinato that frames the song.

So I wonder--would it have been a hit without that? Would we have ever heard of the album without the gorgeous arrangement?

I don't think it was the lyrics. I liked the song from the first time I heard it--but I wasn't really listening to the lyrics and when I heard "the canvas can do miracles" I assumed he was singing about art!

So it was something else.

I think the first thing that pulls you in and rivets your attention in this song is the part Christopher Cross didn't do. Maybe the most important factor in any "hit" is an inspired producer?
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonlinear View Post
The light vocal sound, the words, the strings, the wind chimes - everything about this song takes you to the place he's singing about.

Great tune. Great production. Great art.
Yup, spot on
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by lowland View Post
Re. Sailing, nice kick drum accent @ 1.29, not something you hear often these days. I see the track was 'one of the first digitally recorded songs to chart, utilizing the 3M Digital Recording System' (Wikipedia).
That Wikipedia quote is what got me interested in getting the cd. The strange thing is it seems to be contradicted by this Mix Online article: Classic Track: “Ride Like the Wind,”Christopher Cross | Mixonline
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Absolutely great track and one that made me obsessed with chorusing on guitar.

On a side note though - strange but true:

Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowland View Post
Re. Sailing, nice kick drum accent @ 1.29, not something you hear often these days.
There's another one at 2:03.

Could it be that it's - wait - a REAL drummer?

Sounds like a fast comp/limiter on the kick (1176?).
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

Another...

Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Don't forget that Chris's song Arthur's Theme won the ~Oscar~ for Best Original Song in 1981 as well.
His second LP Another Page, while not equal to his first, still was awarded RIAA Gold.
High quality music, first rate engineering and mixing by Chet Himes.
Best, JT
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear
Christopher Cross came out of nowhere with a beautiful voice, great sounding mixes and good songs. The first album did not have a picture of the artist. As soon as the "romance" audience (that loved the music) got a look at Christopher, they seemed to lose interest. I think they felt they had been deceived. That is my memory of events. If he had looked like Paul McCartney or Rick Springfield I think he would have had a much longer string of hits.
Old 1 week ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushman View Post
Christopher Cross came out of nowhere with a beautiful voice, great sounding mixes and good songs. The first album did not have a picture of the artist. As soon as the "romance" audience (that loved the music) got a look at Christopher, they seemed to lose interest. I think they felt they had been deceived. That is my memory of events. If he had looked like Paul McCartney or Rick Springfield I think he would have had a much longer string of hits.
Yep. I remember Chris making a comment to that effect in the early '80s. He knew he wasn't the "rock artist" or "pop artist" type. But the production on his songs was top-notch.

I also remember the kerfuffle about how "Ride Like the Wind" sounded an awful lot like "Steal Away" by The Doobie Brothers.

Steve
Old 1 week ago
M2E
Lives for gear

I remember seeing him on some type of MTV cribs or some special and man, this guy still had it.
He bust out his guitar and did a song and I instantly smiled.
He's just got it period.

Classic song for a classic artist.

It really warms my heart to see so many people touched by this song.

Keep it going.

Marc
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowsOfLife View Post
I also remember the kerfuffle about how "Ride Like the Wind" sounded an awful lot like "Steal Away" by The Doobie Brothers. Steve
Do you remember that other kerfuffle about how "Steal Away" by Robbie Dupree sounded like much like "What a Fool Believes" by the Doobie Brothers?
Old 1 week ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by AuldLangSine View Post
Do you remember that other kerfuffle about how "Steal Away" by Robbie Dupree sounded like much like "What a Fool Believes" by the Doobie Brothers?
Ah, yep. I thought I had that wrong. But that's how much they sounded alike, I guess!

Steve
Old 1 week ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushman View Post
Really? Sounds like an excuse to me. There were planty of non-conventional looks artists in those days - Alison Moyet, Meatloaf, Bonnie Tyler. I think he just lacked enough 'hit' material.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowsOfLife View Post
Ah, yep. I thought I had that wrong. But that's how much they sounded alike, I guess!

Steve
Right!-- similar rhythmic chord comping and chord voicings.
Loading mentioned products ...
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+  Submit Thread to Reddit Reddit 

Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get instant access to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search