The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Gyraf G24
Old 23rd April 2019
Lives for gear

Hi Guys,

So sorry for the long silence - I have been on vacation in rural Italy, mostly outside reach of the interwebs. just now in office again. Already missing the food...

The G24 is sensitive to driving impedance, but should still get you to around 20Hz within the -3dB point at 200 Ohms driving impedance. Mind you, the -3dB point is what we usually aim for, 20Hz is considered decent by most, and my local test drivers don't complain about the low end at all.

The reason for cutoff at very-low frequencies regardless of being passive is the transformer, that is intrinsically unable to pass DC.

One parameter that you may want to investigate is your operating level - at very high levels the transformer saturates magnetically (this is also why it's there in the first place) at lower frequencies earlier than at higher frequencies, and this can come out like an early low-cut on a sweep plot.

Attached plot.jpg of G24 tested with 200 Ohms source impedance (I think) @ +6dBu - actual plot is two different grade transformers, exhibiting different primary inductance and thus low-frequency reach, but you should get results in this general range..

Should you feel uncomfortable about the condition of your unit, feel free to send it in and I'll be happy to check and verify it.

Jakob Erland
Gyraf Audio
Attached Thumbnails
Gyraf G24-g24_two_different_transformers_.jpg  
Old 23rd April 2019
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by gyraf View Post
Already missing the food...
I trust you sampled a lot of pizza
Old 24th April 2019
And pasta

Quote:
Originally Posted by macc View Post
I trust you sampled a lot of pizza
Old 24th April 2019
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Pand Sound Mastering View Post
And pasta
Pizza is Jakob's weakness.

One time I thought I had a loose component in one of my Gyraf units - turns out it was just a bit of pizza crust rattling around inside.

(N.B. this story is 100% untrue, but not unbelievable)
Old 27th April 2019
Jakob, thank you so much for your elaborate response.

Observing the graph and being reminded of the attributes of transformers, it does make sense. I'm probably spoiled by some other transformer equipped tools where I didn't notice it.

I will try to experiment more with different drive options.
And regarding your comment on input level, well I already have it placed first in the analog chain and make sure I'm not spanking it haha.

Mine definitely doesn't feel broken and it's a wonderful tool to have.
Thanks again.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by gyraf View Post
Attached plot.jpg of G24 tested with 200 Ohms source impedance (I think) @ +6dBu - actual plot is two different grade transformers, exhibiting different primary inductance and thus low-frequency reach, but you should get results in this general range..
Hey hey Jakob,

I just wanted to say how useful this plot was. I've set up a linear tilt with Fabfilter ProQ3 that does the inverse, and it's opened up the G24 for things I might not have used it for before (essentially, much brighter stuff). So thank you for that
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search