The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Gyraf G24
Old 13th August 2018
Mastering Moderator

Verified Member
I'll ask the opposite: how clean/transparent is it?
Old 14th August 2018
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quick note on all this then...

The compression action is VERY transparent. The tilt sidechain eq + being able to dial in in-between FF/FB settings (seriously, why this isn't on every compressor I don't know) mean you can really tailor it to a signal. Terrific.

The sound, I think Jakob said it best when he said 'clean, but in a way that is exciting'. It has a character, but it's not glaring, just pleasant. That character is also quite level-dependent. Sometimes it feels better run cooler, sometimes you want a bit more. Generally speaking, I prefer it run cooler. So it's not a straight wire - at all - but it's not got gobs of colour either. So, what Jakob said.

I'll try to remember to do some samples, honestly!! Just a bit manic here...
Old 4 weeks ago
curious how it compares sound-wise to other good optical comps aside from its great possibilities.
i'm almost in the "mood" to buy a great opto. ;- )

Quote:
Originally Posted by macc View Post
The compression action is VERY transparent.
you have also the Foote which always interested me.
how do their behavior compare to each other?
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Nut

Its time for some sound samples/video clips
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

It looks REAL
Attached Thumbnails
Gyraf G24-gyratec-g24.jpg  
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Aah, but that one is the G21 - she's also a complicated personality, although very different.

G24 looks something like this:

(yes, we are still waiting for the review to come out. If anyone has a reliable handle on SOS mag, please let me know)
Attached Thumbnails
Gyraf G24-g24.jpg  
Old 1 week ago
Mastering Moderator

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by gyraf View Post
Aah, but that one is the G21 - she's also a complicated personality, although very different.

G24 looks something like this:

(yes, we are still waiting for the review to come out. If anyone has a reliable handle on SOS mag, please let me know)
Fred "Frenzy" here on GS writes reviews for SOS and is active in this mastering sub. Send him a PM.
Otherwise we'll have either take a leap of faith and buy it or go chase Bob Mac. for a review....
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by gyraf View Post
No sound examples just yet, but we're working on some quick-demonstration videos..

Jakob E.
Hello there Mr. Erland.

Just out of curiosity, but also from my knowledge thirst satisfaction, what's all that fuss about Cadmium part in G24 and why is Cadmium both so tricky that it needs special paperwork (I know that it's poisonous in some exceeded quantities, of course) and what's the benefit of using Cadmium in audio signal path?

If this is so newbie question and everyone else here know the answer then shoot me guys right away! Hehe... That only means I don't know that much. Which I don't! But, somehow this question intrigues me and I'd love to hear it first hand from the builder's perspective. I really think there's no such thing as a stupid (unimportant) question. Just answers...

Thnx in advance and wish you all the best!

Krešo
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

Hi Krešo,

It's a long and complicated story. In short:

EU has banned Cadmium in electronics, because it is unhealthy for environment.

Which is right&fine.

But you can't ban it completely because it is also found as an impurity of e.g. aluminium, so they set a 0.1% limit. The catch is that this 0.1% is valid in "mechanically separable components", which means that whatever thin layer you can scrape off must not contain more than this.

And it's impossible to make a photoresistor without having Cadmium-Sulphide in the surface, because this is what makes the photosensitivity. And there's VERY little of it: the ones I use contains ca. 50uG of cadmium each.

So one of my completely legal anodized aluminum frontplates probably contains more Cadmium than 500 G24 compressors.

In effect, EU has banned optical compression as such - and the whole industry continues, pretending nothing happened. Some lying openly about it, others claiming non-existing permissions, but most of them trying to ignore the problem away. Which pisses me off, thus the passive-aggressive naming of the cadmium compressor

And no, the aggressive is not in the compression. She's a quite delicate beast, the first compressor I've designed that really works well on acoustic and even classical..

Jakob E.

edit: This thread discusses the problem also - over many years..: Worrying European Legislation
Old 4 days ago
Gear Maniac

Hello Mr. Erland,

thank you very much for making it short and an explanation.

I asked sincerely and out of not knowing the facts and now you explained it. So, thank you for that!

Regarding the legaslative issue, yes, I agree that there's no sense at all in it. No sense at all being one item on a special notice while other, completely "legal" carrying much more - not!

Ehmmm, anyway, thank you for your kind reply. I am learning every day.

Best regards from Zagreb!

Krešo
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search