The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Monitors, which don't tire ears Studio Monitors
Old 14th May 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAH View Post
I heard them once and the limiter LED was blinking often at normal levels on Chronic 2001.
Define "normal"?
Old 14th May 2017
DAH
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul_G View Post
Define "normal"?
80+ dB SPL as I recall
Old 14th May 2017
Quote:
80+ dB SPL as I recall
Can't say I've ever had that problem. Maybe it was acoustics or some other foreign object.

They are soft (dome) which is why they're easy to work on without fatigue or earache.
Old 14th May 2017
DAH
Lives for gear

Quote:
Can't say I've ever had that problem. Maybe it was acoustics or some other foreign object.

They are soft (dome) which is why they're easy to work on without fatigue or earache.
Yes, they were quite balanced and not harsh at all.
Old 14th May 2017
Quote:
Yes, they were quite balanced and not harsh at all.
The subwoofer helps with headroom, but as an old near field they have quite a range.
Old 15th May 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
I heard them once and the limiter LED was blinking often at normal levels on Chronic 2001.
Hello,

I have O300 and except on classical music, this is a probleme.
Old 15th May 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by dinococcus View Post
Hello,

I have O300 and except on classical music, this is a probleme.
I guess it's a personal thing then as I play hip hop beats and have never had a problem(e). My hearing is good and I don't expect near fields to fill the room like main monitors so it's really a question of having realistic expectations for the size and budget.

I like the quality over quantity angle. Otherwise there's a ton of cheap KRK style, very loud, harsh sounding speakers for dance music fiends.

My PMC ib2i monitors are louder and brighter but they are still easy to work on for long periods of time at reasonable levels because of the quality of the drivers.

The Amphions are punchy little fellas but even they don't hurt.

I just don't listen too loud as I don't like it noisy as I lose perspective.
Old 15th May 2017
DAH
Lives for gear

Quote:
I guess it's a personal thing then as I play hip hop beats and have never had a problem(e). My hearing is good and I don't expect near fields to fill the room like main monitors so it's really a question of having realistic expectations for the size and budget.

I like the quality over quantity angle. Otherwise there's a ton of cheap KRK style, very loud, harsh sounding speakers for dance music fiends.

My PMC ib2i monitors are louder and brighter but they are still easy to work on for long periods of time at reasonable levels because of the quality of the drivers.

The Amphions are punchy little fellas but even they don't hurt.

I just don't listen too loud as I don't like it noisy as I lose perspective.
The limiter was particularly blinking on The Message

Last edited by DAH; 15th May 2017 at 01:54 PM..
Old 15th May 2017
Gear Maniac

Having ever come across only one other fellow doing this in the past 20 years I'm maybe the only one in the world right now who is mixing on magnetostatic loudspeakers. I'm using a pair of Magnepan Magneplanar MG-1C's from the 80s and I can say that speakers like these are definitely among the least fateguing speakers you can mix on. I mostly mix at moderate and low or even very low levels without missing the whole picture of the music. I mix any genre on them and it's always fun. It's like diving into the music and being a part of it. Switching back to the NS10's always abruptly destroys that feeling and makes me aware of what music sounds like when it comes out of boxes.
Attached Thumbnails
Monitors, which don't tire ears-magnepan-monitoring.jpg  
Old 16th May 2017
Lives for gear

I'm looking at monitors now. Either Tyler Audio MM5s (passive) or Focal trios (active) with stereo subs. I'm in LA and can demo the Focals. The Tylers are my first choice thoufh. The Kii Threes look incredible too.
Old 17th May 2017
I own the MM5X's for almost three and half years now and I am still happy with the way they sound. A GS member in Europe told me that he likes the bass on them more than nautilus. The resistor option is very nice to have as you can adjust the loudness of the tweeter to the way you prefer and it only takes five minutes to do.
Old 17th May 2017
Lives for gear

Yeah I've sort of made up my mind to check out the Tyler's first. What amp are you using with them?
Old 17th May 2017
I am using the Emotiva XPA-2. Give Tyler a call he can give you all the details about the speakers.
Old 13th February 2018
Lives for gear
Hedd type 20 ears are happy
Old 13th February 2018
Lives for gear

Verified Member
yep, i listen at about 76-82dB, so im good for 6-8 hours, 10 if needed.

speakers, Dunlavy in my case

power amp, McIntosh

monitor control, Goldpoint

cables!

listening level

ear breaks

ambient noise

DAC, Benchmark

level of focus required; simple EQ job vs deticking dozens of WC ticks

conversation in the room

distractions

infinite combinations of the above

all contribute to ear and brain fatigue.

i’m good from about 10am to 10pm, after that forget about it, unless it’s Willie.

cheers, jt

p.s. last night i had peeps that drank beer, cracked pistachios & talked the whole time, but they were great guys, and i’m used to distractions. it was their big moment, getting there record mastered.
Old 13th February 2018
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by SonicAxiom View Post
Having ever come across only one other fellow doing this in the past 20 years I'm maybe the only one in the world right now who is mixing on magnetostatic loudspeakers. I'm using a pair of Magnepan Magneplanar MG-1C's from the 80s and I can say that speakers like these are definitely among the least fateguing speakers you can mix on. I mostly mix at moderate and low or even very low levels without missing the whole picture of the music. I mix any genre on them and it's always fun. It's like diving into the music and being a part of it. Switching back to the NS10's always abruptly destroys that feeling and makes me aware of what music sounds like when it comes out of boxes.
I mastered on The Carver Amazing Loudspeakers for a long long time. Great speakers way too big for my room. Carver Amazing Loudspeaker (Platinum Edition) | Stereophile.com
I have also used these http://www.kef.com/uploads/files/en/...el_104_2_r.pdf and loved them. My current speakers are Alon IVs Acarian Alon IV loudspeaker | Stereophile.com

None of them were harsh, none of them were tiring and they all had their good points and bad. I love my current setup. Crane Song Avocet into a Bryston 4BST and my Alon IVs. Best sounding setup for my room.
Old 14th February 2018
Lives for gear

Verified Member
i’ve been waiting for these to go on sale, only 685k per pair

YouTube
Attached Thumbnails
Monitors, which don't tire ears-544018bb-f77a-48a8-82c8-7e5e69d24ab9.jpg  
Old 14th February 2018
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razik View Post
I own the MM5X's for almost three and half years now and I am still happy with the way they sound. A GS member in Europe told me that he likes the bass on them more than nautilus. The resistor option is very nice to have as you can adjust the loudness of the tweeter to the way you prefer and it only takes five minutes to do.
Same here. More than happy to listen to these all day.
Old 15th February 2018
Lives for gear

Verified Member
keep the listening levels reasonable and

get some serious dsp

in front of your speakers so you can dial in curves that help you getting a more flat response (or any curve that helps you protect your ears after long hours of working: the ear can easily be tricked into adapting to different settings within seconds/minutes)
Old 15th February 2018
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by deedeeyeah View Post
keep the listening levels reasonable and

get some serious dsp

in front of your speakers so you can dial in curves that help you getting a more flat response (or any curve that helps you protect your ears after long hours of working: the ear can easily tricked into adapting to different setting within seconds/minutes)

I would rather have a well designed acoustically correct room than to rely on DSP to make my room "flat" but hey that's just me.
Old 15th February 2018
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas W. Bethe View Post
I would rather have a well designed acoustically correct room than to rely on DSP to make my room "flat" but hey that's just me.
so would most people - but i just don't get the point why not use a tool that can help you to achieve good results. at least, some (more) manufacturers are now into this as well...
Old 15th February 2018
DAH
Lives for gear

Quote:
so would most people - but i just don't get the point why not use a tool that can help you to achieve good results. at least, some (more) manufacturers are now into this as well...
It can not fix nulls
Old 15th February 2018
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:
It can not fix nulls
yeah, but a few other things...

(amongst those other things, i'm using dsp to apply different eq curves for use with different levels or when my ears start to fatigue: that's why i brought up the topic of dsp in this thread - now you tell me how you do this with room treatment...)
Old 15th February 2018
DAH
Lives for gear

Quote:
yeah, but a few other things...

(amongst those other things, i'm using dsp to apply different eq curves for use with different levels or when my ears start to fatigue: that's why i brought up the topic of dsp in this thread - now you tell me how you do this with room treatment...)
my room and other circumstances dictate that I mix in headphones. DSP cant fix problems unless you have your head fixated.
Old 15th February 2018
Lives for gear

My Tyler D1 never fatigued me and the ATC 150s do not know either
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search