The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
RX 6 Available 4/20/17 Noise Reduction & Restoration Plugins
Old 5th May 2017
The RX6 declicker plugin is supposedly better and more predictable for live use, i.e., plugin mode with live audio input.
Old 30th July 2017
Gear Addict

I have tried it and Spectral De-Noise works fine when using it inside RX6, but when I try to use it in Audition or Audacity there is a bug which disables the adaptive mode.

Anyone else encountered this?

It is like they are doing it on purpose. I can not justify buying the upgrade if it does not work properly.
Old 31st July 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giuseppe Zaccaria View Post
I also use it a lot to clean up clicks and digital noise, even some tricks like phase and others, Im on 5 now but I will wait to upgrade coz I really don't need other features at the moment, I do NOT like the SRC I believe it smear program material, not as good as they say. For that task when needed Saracon is the most accurate.
Hey bud-

I spent the better portion of a day playing with the SRC settings on two tracks of different types of material. I ran many passes of SRC, manipulating each variable and noting the changes in the title of the tracks to make comparison easy. I arrived at two settings that I like to use depending on the type of material I am mastering, though I use one 90% of the time, maybe even more. This is the only way to really understand what RX is capable of, and in fact, I think it is a critical step to balancing the shift in tone when downsampling, trying to keep what you like about the music (musicality) and minimizing what you don't like (for me that is an unnatural quality and grating HF).

I tested my settings again when I added new DACs and the settings did not change for me.

I suggest that people who don't like RX put in the time to wring out what you can achieve by playing with combinations of the filter settings before you write it off.

Last edited by bushwick; 31st July 2017 at 12:08 PM..
Old 31st July 2017
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Be helpful if you posted your settings! I did the same as you, then had a crash, had to reinstall Windows and lost all my RX presets. :(
Old 31st July 2017
Lives for gear

rx

Quote:
Originally Posted by bushwick View Post
Hey bud-

I spent the better portion of a day playing with the SRC settings on two tracks of different types of material. I ran many passes of SRC, manipulating each variable and noting the changes in the title of the tracks to make comparison easy. I arrived at two settings that I like to use depending on the type of material I am mastering, though I use one 90% of the time, maybe even more. This is the only way to really understand what RX is capable of, and in fact, I think it is a critical step to balancing the shift in tone when downsampling, trying to keep what you like about the music (musicality) and minimizing what you don't like (for me that is an unnatural quality and grating HF).

I tested my settings again when I added new DACs and the settings did not change for me.

I suggest that people who don't like RX put in the time to wring out what you can achieve by playing with combinations of the filter settings before you write it off.

ok ok I didnt try it that much, I admit it, maybe going throught RX SRC very deeply will reveal that is very good, I dont know that right now, but what I know is that Saracon never let me down in terms of musicality, what it takes out of equation is very very minimal that is hard to hear it, without spending one week trying a lot of settings, you know what I mean...
Anyway would be very nice for the whole community that you post those settings you found, would ya?
Old 1st August 2017
Lives for gear

Aw guys.... I love ya I love ya but thats part of the recipe! Really, just spend 4 hours trying different settings and you'll know what ya like....gentler roll off gives a more musical SRC but slightly colored, steeper roll off gives you a closer rep of the HF in the higher res version but it feels a bit less musical and enjoyable. Somewhere in there it will speak to you.

Your mileage may absolutely vary so just give it a whack. I think if you spend four hours with it and you'll understand what the sliders do and how they interact and may well have settings that you like a lot, which I'm guessing will be different from person to person. I found it pretty fascinating how the music shifted around and to hear really what the tradeoffs were.

Big love from here my friends....
Old 1st August 2017
Lives for gear

I did the same, made a bunch of presets like "Shallow", "Steep", Steeper, Steepest (Extreme) etc - and exported a few tracks on each, then compared critically with AKG headphones. I ended up liking the "Steep" setting best and just started using it for everything. I can dig up the numbers on it if anyone wants it.

Gentle curves that reached down into the frequency range had a blanketing effect. I toyed with the phase control too but I think Linear is king in this field.
Old 1st August 2017
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Playing with those parameters are really an ear opener. Shallow filters tends to sound smeary and steep ones might kill all the depth, a very interesting and educational experience. I was quite unhappy with RX SRC over years, until I gave it another intensive try (thanks to an unnamed forum member . In my ears the SRC works best in conclusion with some carefully tuned settings of the Mbit Dither. There might be more clean sounding solutions out there, but RX is capable to give me a kind of sound I really dig. Simply part of my chain and might not work for others.
Old 30th December 2017
Lives for gear

Think the upgrade from RX 3 is worth it?

I never bothered upgrading because I only use RX a handful of times a year, but it always comes in handy. Any amazing new features been introduced since RX 3, or has it been drastically improved?

Most of the time I'm just removing clicks/pops, or removing noise.

The upgrade is only about $100 right now
Old 30th December 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melodeath View Post
Think the upgrade from RX 3 is worth it?

I never bothered upgrading because I only use RX a handful of times a year, but it always comes in handy. Any amazing new features been introduced since RX 3, or has it been drastically improved?

Most of the time I'm just removing clicks/pops, or removing noise.

The upgrade is only about $100 right now
You could download the RX6 demo and answer your own questions.
Old 30th December 2017
Lives for gear

Verified Member
No update since release, despite many bugs .
Old 30th December 2017
Lives for gear

Verified Member
I'm holding off until 7 this time, there was nothing new in 6 to entice me.
Old 31st December 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermetech Mastering View Post
I'm holding off until 7 this time, there was nothing new in 6 to entice me.
+1. I probably won't upgrade from 4 until there are meaningful updates/improved algorithms in the noise reduction, declick (6's update was here was underwhelming), decrackle and interpolate. Probably some other areas could be improved as well, but improving the core features rather than adding on additional features would be far more preferable.
But I'm just a lowly mastering dude. I'm not in film or podcasting .
Old 31st December 2017
Mastering Moderator

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregor z View Post
No update since release, despite many bugs .
Bugs? Do you mean in V.6 specifically or carried on from earlier versions?
What version had an improvemnet in declicking/decrackling and Noise Reduction?

Cheers!
Old 31st December 2017
Lives for gear

The only bug I've found in RX6 so far is related to .mp3 conversion. Izotope said they were working on it, but that was last April.
Old 1st January 2018
Lives for gear

Another bug, if you're on Play/Stop Selection the Key Command for Play/Stop All continues to Play/Stop Selection rather than changing to Play/Stop
All.

Last edited by Folkie; 1st January 2018 at 06:15 AM..
Old 2nd January 2018
This is a major bug for me and apparently known to the team: when doing "batch" processing like SRC to a continuous album, it will create clicks on the intros and outs of various wav files, where they should play back seamless in the DDP. This is a MAJOR bug and I have no idea why it's not fixed yet. Batch works fine in RX5 and they've advised me to only use batch mode in the previous version.
Old 2nd January 2018
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Crazy, I didn't know about that one, and use Batch Processing every week for loudness normalising tracks for my DJ mixes. Another great reason to stay on RX5.
Old 2nd January 2018
Lives for gear

<cynic>
Those bugs will be fixed in RX7
</cynic>

Old 2nd January 2018
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Yes, most software companies offer free updates for exisiting customers. iZotope (since they got taken over by bean counters) offer few fixes, then every year pretend it’s a completely new product and you have have to pay dearly for a supposed ‘upgrade’, which may fix a few bugs but introduces even more. I’m cynical too.
Old 3rd January 2018
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Bugs I found and are quite irritating , as I have to do many extra clicks. Sent them notification mid August and they replied that they are aware of the bugs. Six month later, no update.

If zoom in to the start of the file, to cut the start of file and do fade ins or similar - after a delete command, RX jumps back to full Zoom Out. Very annoying as I have to make several zooms to edit the file. Many extra clicks.

When I load multiple files and have loudness module open - file selection jumps to “second” file, but loudness meter is showing the value of the first file.
Same if I just drop the files, RX jumps to second file first.
Loudness module doesn’t measure loudness when I change the file.
Have to restart the module to be able to measure LUFS.
Old 3rd January 2018
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregor z View Post
If zoom in to the start of the file, to cut the start of file and do fade ins or similar - after a delete command, RX jumps back to full Zoom Out. Very annoying as I have to make several zooms to edit the file. Many extra clicks.

When I load multiple files and have loudness module open - file selection jumps to “second” file, but loudness meter is showing the value of the first file.
Same if I just drop the files, RX jumps to second file first.
Loudness module doesn’t measure loudness when I change the file.
Have to restart the module to be able to measure LUFS.
Same here Gregor. Very very irritating
Old 4th January 2018
Deleted User
I've went back to using Myriad since last year and haven't looked at the batch processor in RX since then.

I've still been using RX for occasional restoration needs but I don't have any major bugs in it. It was mostly the batch processor that was buggy to me.
Old 4th January 2018
Lives for gear

Verified Member
I’ve been considering switching to Acon Acoustica, if the eventual ‘update’ to RX7 is just as bad.
Old 4th January 2018
Lives for gear

Verified Member
I've noticed bugs in the filter graphics on Izo RX6 Advanced SRC. It's been a while but IIRC it interprets the source file incorrectly and shows the wrong SRC filter. I have no idea if it's visual only or if the audio is wrong too.

I still do most of my SRC with the iZo algorithm in Sample Manager for this reason, and now exploring the Goodherts SRC in Myriad.
Old 4th January 2018
Mastering Moderator

Verified Member
Let's keep this up to date with reports and suggestions for alternatives. We might move it to the restoration sub or create a new one over there altogether.
Especially for those like me and I guess others doing quite a bit of transfers and restorations with mid level clients. And by this I mean I cannot quite justify a 15k Cedar suite.
Old 9th January 2018
Lives for gear

I think I discovered the .mp3 conversion issue when using RX6 in batch processing mode. I also think this is Izotope's first attempt at including batch processing in RX. Izotope obviously have a lot of snags to work out of their new batch processing feature.

I have a much cheaper audio program that does batch processing like a champ. I don't know why Izotope messed this up.
Old 9th January 2018
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Batch processing was in 5 and 4 as well, can’t remember if it was in 3 and before. In 5 (and maybe 4), I seem to remember there’s a bug in batch processing if you do SRC plus Dither. Can’t remember what exactly, but iZotope’s advice was do to SRC one at a time instead. Kinda defeating the purpose of batch processing... Don’t think it was ever fixed.
Old 9th January 2018
Deleted User
RX provided batch processing with version 1.
Old 9th January 2018
Lives for gear

I stand corrected.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search