The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Need some input on the Bryston 4B-SST Studio Monitors
Old 17th March 2007
Lives for gear

Need some input on the Bryston 4B-SST

Im about to pull the trigger on a pair of PMC IB1's that I demoed tri-wired off a Mcntosh. I thought the detail was amazing. I am going back there to power it with my Hafler (200 a side) to give me some perspective of how it will sound with a solid-state amp. I know that the Hafler is no substitute for a Bryston but it will have to do.

Ive noticed that a few guys in here switched from Bryston to Pass Labs. Was the difference huge? Ive heard the the Bryston amps are a little "cold" but that is also coming from a Hi-fi guy. Not really sure how Im going to be able to try out a bunch of different amps but Id like to find the perfect mate for these babies when I get them.

Any suggestions?

By the way the Pass stuff is out of my range. These speakers alone are going to kill me.
Old 17th March 2007
Lives for gear

Verified Member
We added a new Bryston 4B-SST to our Studio B last year, replaced an older 4B.

The improvement was immediately obvious, all the standard cliches would apply about great stereo image, depth, clarity, freq response, etc... it's a damn fine amp.

I wouldn't describe it as cold or warm, but instead... neutral.

JT
Old 17th March 2007
Motown legend

Verified Member
I sure wouldn't say a Hafler is no substitute for a Bryston!
Old 17th March 2007
Gear Guru

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Olhsson View Post
I sure wouldn't say a Hafler is no substitute for a Bryston!
Which Hafler rivals Bryston SST?
Old 17th March 2007

Verified Member
The Brystons are great amps. It takes a great designer and a bunch more money to beat them. One such example is indeed Pass. As for Hafler, I'm usually disappointed. The PMC/Bryston connection is a good one. They're well matched.
Old 17th March 2007
Gear Guru

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Tubb View Post
The improvement was immediately obvious, all the standard cliches would apply about great stereo image, depth, clarity, freq response, etc... it's a damn fine amp.
OT: Jerry did you replace your Crookwood with his newer ICs ones? Same cliches there too?
Old 17th March 2007
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRC View Post
Ive noticed that a few guys in here switched from Bryston to Pass Labs. Was the difference huge? Ive heard the the Bryston amps are a little "cold" but that is also coming from a Hi-fi guy. Not really sure how Im going to be able to try out a bunch of different amps but Id like to find the perfect mate for these babies when I get them.

Any suggestions? .

I've been using top Bryston amp model-(14B SST) for about 4 years.
I recently sold it and switched to Lipinski amps.What a difference.
Bryston was cold and edgy,top end sounded like breaking glass.
Bass was a little shy to me comparing to Lipinski.
It is a perfect match for the Lipinski L-707 speakers I am also using now.

Jacek
Old 17th March 2007
Motown legend

Verified Member
Haflers can have reliability problems and the company is out of business so there are very good reasons to look elsewhere. As for sonic comparisons, I've liked one better in one system and the other better in another. It depended mostly on what device was driving them. My experience is mostly with the 9505 which is a bit more open sounding than the others. I would never say that Bryston is in a different class sound-wise. On the other hand Pass, Cello, Mark Levinson and the new generation of switching amps really do seem to be a step up from mid-range amps like Hafler and Bryston.

The extra detail that you are hearing is probably caused by a truly smooth midrange response. I've been working with speakers having that characteristic since 1976. Once I became used to this, it became very hard to get excited about most common monitors. On the other hand hearing that much detail can make balances more ambiguous than with opaque speakers so I still keep my NS-10s and little Radio Shack speakers around as a reference point for mixing. It's sort of like the difference between using a rangefinder and using a ground glass focusing screen on a camera.
Old 17th March 2007
Gear Addict

Verified Member
FWIW, I just bought PMC IB1s, as well (smart choice!). Unfortunately, one of them arrived with a buzzing driver and is in the shop for a few days, but I had them up for a short while, powered by my Bryston 4BST. That combo seemed to work great (minus the buzzing... ...). I would imagine the 4BSST would only be better! I say go for it.

Bryston and PMC have partnered to create PMC's active monitors because they both know that their products integrate beautifully together.
Old 17th March 2007
Gear Guru

Verified Member
Quote:
the new generation of switching amps really do seem to be a step up from mid-range amps like Hafler and Bryston.
Switching amps? I've never heard a great switching amp.
Old 17th March 2007

Verified Member
Quote:
My experience is mostly with the 9505 which is a bit more open sounding than the others.
I think that was definitely some of their best work. It's a little long in the tooth now, but at the time, it was probably the only Hafler that really favorably compared.

Quote:
On the other hand Pass, Cello, Mark Levinson and the new generation of switching amps really do seem to be a step up from mid-range amps like Hafler and Bryston.
I think of Bryston as the entry level into the higher end, while I do think of Hafler as mid-range. I'd include Classé in the list of high-end amps above. Sterling has a bunch of them, though I first was impressed with the company when I heard one with some Sonus Faber Extremas back in the early to mid 90s. It toasted the other amps (some quite expensive) we tried on those wonderful speakers.
Old 17th March 2007
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucey View Post
OT: Jerry did you replace your Crookwood with his newer ICs ones? Same cliches there too?
Brian - I don't have a Crookwood, maybe you were thinking of someone else?

But I think I would love one at some point.

JT
Old 17th March 2007
Lives for gear

Check out the amps based on Bruno Putzeys UCD and other class D switching modules.

Hypex Electronics B.V.

Very nice, smooth, no nasty edge, lot's of power, unhyped.
Old 18th March 2007
Gear Guru

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Tubb View Post
Brian - I don't have a Crookwood,
oops ... back to the regular programming
Old 18th March 2007
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Kennedy View Post
Check out the amps based on Bruno Putzeys UCD and other class D switching modules.

Hypex Electronics B.V.

Very nice, smooth, no nasty edge, lot's of power, unhyped.
And very efficient.

Five years ago I would have dismissed this technology, but now I wonder if it's not the future?

http://recforums.prosoundweb.com/index.php/f/45/831/

Will find the designer.

DC
Old 18th March 2007
bryston krell or pass lab with pmc ?

Well everyone knows that a 4bsst is a good match for a pair of ib1 or ib2s .

but how would fit a krell fpb 300c or a pass labs X250 ?
does anyone have tryed the match ?
Old 18th March 2007
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacek Gaw?owski View Post
I've been using top Bryston amp model-(14B SST) for about 4 years.
I recently sold it and switched to Lipinski amps.What a difference.
Bryston was cold and edgy,top end sounded like breaking glass.
Bass was a little shy to me comparing to Lipinski.
It is a perfect match for the Lipinski L-707 speakers I am also using now.

Jacek
I bought my Lipinski 505's before the Lipinsky amps were ready and I specifcally asked Lucas what amp was the best match and he said the Bryston was a good choice.

It was a long time ago and I might have said I was thinking of getting a Bryston but I know I asked if he could suggest something better/different. He still suggested the Bryston and in particular, 3B SST for the 505's.

Now you've got me curious if the Lipinski amps would be that much better that it would be worth bringing in for trial. There are no dealers in Canada so one has to pay for shipping, duties and taxes even though Lipinski will take the product back if it doesn't work out.
Old 18th March 2007
Lives for gear

Verified Member
I auditioned the 4B-SST along with quite a few others a few years ago after a break-in freed me of my previous amp (Copland).

The Classé was quite nice, but I went with the bel canto eVo 4. I could't afford the Pass, so didn't audition it.

Cheers,
Thor

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search