The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Foote Stereo Germanium ClipSat Sound Enhancers & Exciters (HW)
Old 1 week ago
  #61
Gear Addict
 
midmost's Avatar
curious how it compares to culture vulture and/or elysia karacter
Old 6 days ago
  #62
Lives for gear
 
nomatic's Avatar
I installed the Clip Sat in the chain today and initial impressions are positive.
The softest setting has a dare I say a Analogue character with a little beef
in the low frequencies and a nice roundness in the Top (think tape... sorry).
Elements pop nicely under gain if used subtly.
Give me some more time to play and I will report back......
Attached Thumbnails
Foote Stereo Germanium ClipSat-img_1560.jpg  
Old 6 days ago
  #63
Quote:
Originally Posted by nomatic View Post
The softest setting has a dare I say a Analogue character with a little beef
in the low frequencies and a nice roundness in the Top (think tape... sorry).
..
Agreed. That setting does sound tape-like.
Old 6 days ago
  #64
Hi guys, thanks for the feedback!
I wasn't going to say tape like very much but it does kind of sound like tape.

There are many, many ways to use this box.
With typical +4 dBu source material I usually start with the input around 12:00 and work up from there. Use the output as make up gain.

Filters are there for restoration and such, but maybe useful creatively as well.

The big challenge for me was to get the channels to match up, but was able to nail that down eventually before we started putting them in MTB-1 units.

I finished the boards and 4 of the 5 Elmas for the Master Versions yesterday.
Today, build up the Blend control and start wiring.

Best regards,
Roger
Old 6 days ago
  #65
Gear Maniac
 
B Elgin's Avatar
 

Would love to hear one. It could potentially be a really unique tool and the filtering, hardness, and mix controls should allow for custom tailoring to suit most material.

Have you guys tried it for peak control, or deliberately aggressive settings on rock, etc?

I wonder how it would work paired with Gyraf's G23 for a tunable tape-esque sonic duo.
Old 6 days ago
  #66
Lives for gear
 
andredb's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by B Elgin View Post
Would love to hear one. It could potentially be a really unique tool and the filtering, hardness, and mix controls should allow for custom tailoring to suit most material.

Have you guys tried it for peak control, or deliberately aggressive settings on rock, etc?

I wonder how it would work paired with Gyraf's G23 for a tunable tape-esque sonic duo.
i do have a g23 and my ClipSat in in the mail.. will report back
Old 6 days ago
  #67
Gear Nut
 

Have barely explored it, but am also liking my first impressions of the Clip/Sat. Has a nice "bloom" on the Soft setting...can also add some serious punch. A bit contradictory, I know.

Thus far, I like how it reacts to low end better than the Overstayer MAS - tend to use the latter in "emphasis mode" as I don't love what it does to kicks/bass.

Has a different flavor than my other color boxes (HG2, MAS, Silver Bullet).

Looking forward to really digging in.
Old 5 days ago
  #68
Gear Maniac
 
B Elgin's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldspeckledhen View Post
Have barely explored it, but am also liking my first impressions of the Clip/Sat. Has a nice "bloom" on the Soft setting...can also add some serious punch. A bit contradictory, I know.

Thus far, I like how it reacts to low end better than the Overstayer MAS - tend to use the latter in "emphasis mode" as I don't love what it does to kicks/bass.

Has a different flavor than my other color boxes (HG2, MAS, Silver Bullet).

Looking forward to really digging in.
Interesting, thanks for sharing this. It sounds like a really handy box if it can both bloom and punch things up. I have a Silver Bullet too, curious how they'd pair as a rock mix buss.

How would you describe the sound in the low end?
Are you using the filters much?
Old 5 days ago
  #69
Lives for gear
 
nomatic's Avatar
i am using the clipsat with a silver bullet and love the combo....
the clip sat effects the envelope of the program in a great way
and is a compliment the the bullet..
Old 5 days ago
  #70
Gear Head
 
McCroskey's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomatic View Post
i am using the clipsat with a silver bullet and love the combo....
the clip sat effects the envelope of the program in a great way
and is a compliment the the bullet..
This sounds great Where in your chain do you use the clipsat? Before the SB? After? As insert?
Old 5 days ago
  #71
Lives for gear
 
nomatic's Avatar
After the BULLET right before the A to D...
Old 4 days ago
  #72
Gear Nut
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by B Elgin View Post
How would you describe the sound in the low end?
Are you using the filters much?
Haven't spent enough time with it to really have a handle on either...but on "Soft" it brought up the low end of a kick in a great way (full n' punchy). I was able to drive it pretty hard before I heard obvious crunch. It was being fed by the Silver Bullet.

RE: Filters - Barely touched, but I did sweep around to get a sense of their range and could tell they'll be useful - HPF in particular when the low end is getting a touch too inflated.
Old 4 days ago
  #73
Gear Head
 
McCroskey's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomatic View Post
After the BULLET right before the A to D...
Thanks for the info. I should get mine within the next days. So I'm curious how it sounds in combination with my SB
Old 4 days ago
  #74
Well, I got the Master versions almost completed yesterday, all that's left is to wire the power connector and mount XLRs.

Pics to follow
Topic:
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump