The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
DMG Audio Support for Equilibrium. Sequoia 13 DAW Software
Old 31st January 2017
Lives for gear

DMG Audio Support for Equilibrium. Sequoia 13

Hi all,

I purchased Equilibrium early last week and instantly started having bad crashes when I tried to run the plug-in. I sent them an email last Thursday and filled out the online support form the next day. I still have not heard back from them regarding my issue. Unfortunately, the plugin has made my entire recording system unstable and I need to try de-installing it, and then re-installing it again. It has been suggested that Sequoia (13) is very picky about multiple copies of plug-ins. I did install 64 bit VST and VST3 versions. I don't want to lose a license by de-installing the software improperly and the manual says nothing about de-installing. 5 days is a long time to not hear back about a catastrophic issue. I need to continue with recording an orchestral CD next week and need to get this under control ASAP. Obviously, I don't need to use the Plug-in on the session, but I need the computer to be super solid as it was before.
Thanks!
Cameron
Old 31st January 2017
Lives for gear

Sorry to hear of your issues.

I've always heard back from DMG within a day or two and have contacted them several times.

I'm sure they will be in touch soon. Wouldn't hurt to drop another email as a reminder.

Best of luck!

DL
Old 1st February 2017
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by roonsbane View Post
Hi all,

I purchased Equilibrium early last week and instantly started having bad crashes when I tried to run the plug-in. I sent them an email last Thursday and filled out the online support form the next day. I still have not heard back from them regarding my issue. Unfortunately, the plugin has made my entire recording system unstable and I need to try de-installing it, and then re-installing it again. It has been suggested that Sequoia (13) is very picky about multiple copies of plug-ins. I did install 64 bit VST and VST3 versions. I don't want to lose a license by de-installing the software improperly and the manual says nothing about de-installing. 5 days is a long time to not hear back about a catastrophic issue. I need to continue with recording an orchestral CD next week and need to get this under control ASAP. Obviously, I don't need to use the Plug-in on the session, but I need the computer to be super solid as it was before.
Thanks!
Cameron
You won't lose your license by un-installing, I think it is entered into the registry. Have done mine many times.
Old 1st February 2017
Lives for gear

Verified Member
If possible, check the Open GL setting in the Equilibirum preferences, in another app.

I used Equilibrium in Samplitude for years with no problems (VST 2, 64 bit) until the Open GL thing came along and started giving me grief. Could be worth a look.

DMG support is usually excellent, btw. Something is amiss somewhere, let me know if you want me to point them here...
Old 1st February 2017
Lives for gear

Verified Member
lose the VST3 version and your life may improve.
Old 1st February 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Moran View Post
lose the VST3 version and your life may improve.
I actually find the VST3 versions to be better then the VST. At least on Mac with Reaper. VST3 runs perfectly.
Old 1st February 2017
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by miguelmarques View Post
I actually find the VST3 versions to be better then the VST. At least on Mac with Reaper. VST3 runs perfectly.
The original poster was asking about using VST3 in Sequoia 13 which is PC only.

Consequently your experience with them on a Mac is irrelevant to his question as is using them in Reaper.

I've been using Sequoia since v7 and know its quirks reasonably well. One of the quirks in Seq13 from time to time is VST3 issues. It may be this he is experiencing or it may be something else entirely. The only way to find out is to lose the VST3 installs and see if it changes.

Thanks for trying to help.
Old 1st February 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Moran View Post
The original poster was asking about using VST3 in Sequoia 13 which is PC only.

Consequently your experience with them on a Mac is irrelevant to his question as is using them in Reaper.

I've been using Sequoia since v7 and know its quirks reasonably well. One of the quirks in Seq13 from time to time is VST3 issues. It may be this he is experiencing or it may be something else entirely. The only way to find out is to lose the VST3 installs and see if it changes.

Thanks for trying to help.
That's what happens when you read things diagonally. Sorry for that.
Old 1st February 2017
Lives for gear

WaveLab also has a fair amount of VST3 issues, when the same plugins work OK in Cubase (or so it seems, I don't use Cubase).

I think there is something that is very tricky about VST3 that some plugin developers have a hard time with, and on top of that, they can't check some of the smaller DAWs like Sequoia, WaveLab etc.

DMG was good about fixing a Limitless problem in WaveLab last year. Hopefully Dave can figure this one out ASAP too.
Old 1st February 2017
Craneslut

Verified Member
Using Equilibrium daily in Seq13 here, zero issues.
Old 1st February 2017
Lives for gear

I second John's suggestion to get rid of the VST3 versions.
Before you un- and re-install, try to only delete the VST3's from your plugin directory, then do a new plugin-directory scan in Sequoia.
Old 1st February 2017
Gear Nut

Hi Cameron,
Maybe you've done these things but if not, here's my suggestion. I'm on Sequoia 13.0.316 which is the current patch, and DMG's latest.

Via control panel/programs, uninstall EQuillibrium (right click on it to see option to uninstall). License shouldn't be a problem since it's web-authorized, no dongle or Ilok. At least mine is.

Go to C drive/program files/magix/sequoia/program data folder and delete "vstplugins" file - a configuration setting file.

Reinstall EQuillibrium. Open Sequoia, but before you load a VIP, hit "Y" and go to Effects/VST-Rewire. At the top you can select the folder(s) to rescan. Rescanning will create a new VSTplugins configuration file.

That should do it. Myself I run only 64 bit plugs and don't install VST 3.0 nor attempt using 32/64 bit bridges.

No problems with DMG plugs either on channels or on objects. Only issue I run into is overloading the CPU (Older I7 quad 2.8) from running too many instances in FIR mode, but that's obviously not necessary for mixing. Some ME's even prefer IIR mode and it's way easier on your processors.
Good luck man!
Old 1st February 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mftorso View Post
I'm on Sequoia 13.0.316 which is the current patch, and DMG's latest.
You mean 13.4.0.316, right?
If not, get it from their download menu... but shouldn't matter.
Old 1st February 2017
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miles Flint View Post
You mean 13.4.0.316, right?
If not, get it from their download menu... but shouldn't matter.
Yes. My mistake
Old 2nd February 2017
Lives for gear

Thanks much everyone. I still have not gotten a reply from DMG, but thanks to mftorso and his detailed instructions I did un-install and then re-install the program. Everything worked fine licence wise. I dont let that computer on-line, but it had already let me intall the license from a thumb drive and had no problems once reintalled. I originally installed the vst (X86) version and the 64 bit VST. Once I went through the instructions and re-started Sequoia I called up the plug-in, it seemed to be working, I could clearly hear some EQ for about 30 seconds, but then crashed the computer to a blue screen. After that, it would not open the sesssion VIP that had been open when the computer crashed. It would keep on crashing. I then de-stalled the plug-in again per mftorso's instructions. This allowed the VIP session to be able to open once again without crashing. I will do more research into "Open GL" issue and try re-installing the program and see about reducing the DSP settings and trying to re-install the program again. Maybe just the 64 Bit VST version this time. I am running the latest Sequoia version running on a one year old, top of the line Quad core HP ZBook with Merging Hapi drivers.
Thanks everyone. That is how this group is supposed to work!
Cameron
Old 2nd February 2017
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Blackwood View Post
Using Equilibrium daily in Seq13 here, zero issues.

Same here, and the other top favs from DMG in Seq13 as well, solid as a rock but I'm not running any VST3 versions of any plugs at all.

Running some Cubetec VPI plugs with 32/64 bit bridging and there some minor display anomalies but the plugs run fine and sound great as usual.

Lots of other folks have had VST3 issues for whatever reasons. I'd rather things work every time than be the most modern thing on the block.
The bleeding edge is just that...

The advice about deleting the VST3 plug and doing a rescan of the main VST folder is spot on too.
Hope the OP gets it sussed, it's a royal pain when things aren't cooperating.
Old 2nd February 2017
Lives for gear

Verified Member
What operating system and version of Seq are you using?
Old 2nd February 2017
Lives for gear

Verified Member
One more thought because I don't know how you have the VST folder(s) arranged and selected.
Have only one version of the plug in your selected VST folder and use only that folder for your plugs with a rescan of it if you change anything in it.
I would suggest only the 64 bit version and put the x86 version in a different folder. Try that and see what happens.
If it fails, swap versions and rescan the target VST folder.
Old 2nd February 2017
Lives for gear

I am using Windows 7 Professional, I had 32 megs of RAM, and had my motherboard replaced under HP warranty. Since then, 16 MB of my RAM had to be taken out because immediately after the replacement, it was no longer being seen, and HP wouldn't address this because it's not authorized RAM.

I just upgraded to the latest patch of Sequoia. I will try only installing the 64 Bit VST tomorrow and see what happens.
Thanks! Again.
Old 2nd February 2017
Lives for gear

Verified Member
MB or GB of RAM?
Old 2nd February 2017
Lives for gear

Oops! GB. You got me!
Old 2nd February 2017
Lives for gear

So I just re-installed only the 64 Bit VST version of the plug-in. After resetting the settings to not be linear phase, the plug-in appeared to be working for a few minutes. Then I switched back to linear phase and within 15 seconds the computer crashed again to a blue screen. It sure would be nice if DMG technical support would reply to this.
Cameron
Old 2nd February 2017
Lives for gear

I just tried it again this time with the VST3 version only installed. It was even less stable. It crashed the computer before even doing any eqing.
Old 2nd February 2017
Gear Nut

I'm afraid I don't know what to suggest, Cameron. I do find their plugins, at least in Sequoia and Samplitude (i7 Quad 2.8 12 GB RAM Windows 7 pro on an SSC C drive) to be slightly flaky and it seems GUI related.

For example, sometimes the GUI in EQuillibrium gets confused soloing a band of EQ and it will bring up the wrong band. Or solo-clicking on a parametric frequency will respond as a shelf, visually and sonically. I close the GUI and open it again and it goes back to functioning normally.

I've not yet figured it out and nothing has changed over several updates of both DMG and Sequoia.

I often think Magix doesn't handle 3rd party plugs with the same effectiveness as most other DAW's and their shoddy tech support, Magix that is, offers little in the way of substantive assistance. I put up with the inconvenience because the application is so great overall.

Worth trying updating your video card drivers. Long shot but easy.

FWIW I always had good tech support from Dave and Krystof at DMG though a couple times they were out of town, or on work jags, and took a few days. Pretty sure it's only those 2 people doing everything.
Old 2nd February 2017
Lives for gear

If your computer is crashing to blue screen, then it's very unlikely caused by VST plugin.
It doesn't directly access hardware nor drivers, so it can't really crash Windows kernel itself. Also DMG plugins doesn't have any hardware based copy protection (eg. iLok, eLicenser) to make that happen.
So it has to be some different system issue, albeit might be triggered by use of this EQ.

Check what exactly was listed at BSOD.. this utility can list all previous listings, unless there is some issue with disk subsystem (there is no way how to save it).
Blue screen of death (STOP error) information in dump files.
Check system memory using free version of Memtest MemTest86 - Offical Site of the x86 Memory Testing Tool

If there is some issue with graphics card driver, its use of OpenGL accelerated UI rendering also can theoretically trigger that. At the plugin there is some global settings, which turns that GL acceleration off.
If you find, this will help, then probably check some more recent driver for your graphics card.

Michal
Old 2nd February 2017
Lives for gear

Verified Member
1)go back to the 64 bit version, lose the VST3

2) prior to the BSOD coming up, can you see how much of the processor is being used in Seq on a % basis, lower left corner of the screen. Given you have previously had RAM issues, very suspicious of a system issue as Equilibrium can be very processor intensive.

3) do you have any issues running Seq w/o Equilibrium? Try loading your system up with a lot of other plugs to stress it towards 100%+ usage and see if you replicate the issue.
Old 3rd February 2017
Lives for gear

I did go back to the VST 64 version. The computer had never crashed before installing this Plug the other day. It's about a year and a half old and has recorded dozens of concerts since then. I run Altiverb/Lexicon/izotopeRX5, and just yesterday I tested it recording 26 tracks with Altiverb for over an hour and a half with no buffer errors, and no crashes. But, if I pull up the plug-in, bam! I get the blue screen. Running the plug-in I am seeing 5% dsp usage with very occasional spikes of 32%. If I try using it in Linear, it crashes. I tried selecting Open GL in the plug settings and it didn't really seem to make a difference. Assuming that the plugin is not directly causing the crash, could some computer setting be strange so that when it asks for more DSP, this sets it over the edge? It still has 16GB of RAM and this RAM checks out fine.
I am stumped!
Cameron
Old 3rd February 2017
Lives for gear

It's definitely not by intensive DSP usage by that plugin. It can't crash Windows.. Worst thing, which can happen in this case, is temporary overload of single CPU core (per track processing isn't multi-threaded).. and pops in sound. Similarly with some hog or endless cycle at its UI thread (plugin has typically two threads - for processing and UI). Again, it can make Window redraws awfully slow, you might need to force end DAW, but it all that code runs at its own memory space.. different from the kernel (errors there causes BSOD).

Generally I'd be very concerned about BSODs.. there is typically listed at least driver (according to current memory map) and exception type, which can be very useful for debugging. Try to run the utility, which I've linked before.. If driver (say ASIO dirver, VGA driver) will be listed, then its valuable and allow you to guess, what's going on. Generic errors at random addresses are in most cases related to some RAM or motherboard issues.

Michal
Old 3rd February 2017
Lives for gear

Thanks Michael,

Before leaving tonight I did call up many plugins on a session. One more instance of Altiverb one more of Lexicon, and then called up izotope NR and it did crash. I did this after uninstalling EQuilibrium.

The only other strange things are: I am never able to run Sequoia with Merging driver buffer setting less than 512 without getting buffer errors. Merging techinacal support says this is very weird. Also, running Izotope as a standalone application is always painfully slow. Hit the space bar to hit play and the curser moves and you hear it atleast a second later. I have always blamed this on Izotope being better on Macs.

I will try yoursuggested application tomorrow. Would it be helpful if I took a picture of the blue screen?
Cameron
Old 3rd February 2017
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Do you have any problems just using IIR mode? Y/N?
If not then go to FIR and select something other than Linear like Free and see what happens.
Consider downloading a fresh install from DMG, perhaps your source copy is corrupted. If IIR works and FIR is flaky that could be a clue.

In FIR Mode, what is your impulse length? larger size = more demanding+processing latency. Try it at the 8192 if it's at some larger setting.
If IIR works with no issue, it's most likely not a graphics related issue.

I just ran thru this on Samplitude ProX with Equilibrium+Vertigo VSM-3+Compassion+Limitless on one object as a test in my home Dell XPS i7 w/ 16Gb ram and it's quite happy as expected.
All those plugs are cpu hogs when cranked up. I run Open GL disabled in Equil, fwiw.
There is a system setting in Seq/Samp for multi CPU support, that might be worth a peek; I don't think the problem is in Seq itself.

my Seq13 machine at the shop is a T1700 E5 Xeon/32Gb ram workstation so it has horsepower for days. Both machines Win7/64, rock solid.
no problems w/ any DMG plugs in Seq13 so long as there is the horsepower for them.

Aren't computers fun ?
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+  Submit Thread to Reddit Reddit 

Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search