The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
DMG Audio Support for Equilibrium. Sequoia 13 DAW Software
Old 3rd February 2017
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by roonsbane View Post
Thanks Michael,

Before leaving tonight I did call up many plugins on a session. One more instance of Altiverb one more of Lexicon, and then called up izotope NR and it did crash. I did this after uninstalling EQuilibrium.

The only other strange things are: I am never able to run Sequoia with Merging driver buffer setting less than 512 without getting buffer errors. Merging techinacal support says this is very weird. Also, running Izotope as a standalone application is always painfully slow. Hit the space bar to hit play and the curser moves and you hear it atleast a second later. I have always blamed this on Izotope being better on Macs.

I will try yoursuggested application tomorrow. Would it be helpful if I took a picture of the blue screen?
Cameron
Given this new information, there may well be larger issues at play here. You definitely need to document what the BSOD is telling you.
Old 3rd February 2017
Lives for gear

I ran the Blue Screen view app and here is what it's saying:
Your help is much appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails
DMG Audio Support for Equilibrium. Sequoia 13-img_1481.jpg  
Old 3rd February 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
I ran the Blue Screen view app and here is what it's saying:
Your help is much appreciated.
Hi,

according to the screenshot, the problematic is actually Ravenna ASIO driver.
It's apparent from both top pane and also crash address, which is highlighted by pink.

So you should focus on that..

Maybe there is some updated version of this driver at Merging website.
It is also using underlying network card driver.

Although driver user options are really simple (essentially channel count and buffer length), there can be some other system settings and tweaks, which can cause such stability problems.
I don't really mean excessively short buffers, because it's similar like previously mentioned CPU utilization.. it would cause pops or stuttering sound, but it shouldn't crash your computer (never).

Possibly you can try to reach Merging support for some more advanced troubleshooting.

Finally to further isolate the issue, change your ASIO output driver to Magix Latency driver and point it to some on-board soundcard of your PC (assuming you have a one).. just for the test with Equilibrium.

Additionally until you will find the culprit, why Ravenna ASIO is crashing, and would like to use Equilibrium, try to workaround that..
In the Sequoia settings for Preferences/Effects/VST.. maximum VST buffer size.. there are three possible values, sometimes adjustment helps with compatibility of some plugins.. Try built-in presets. Also you can try to set the track with Equilibrium to economy mode.

Good luck!

Michal
Old 3rd February 2017
Lives for gear

Hi Michal,

First of all thanks so much for sticking with me on this. This is my least favorite part of this this job. The funny thing is that DMG got back to me just now after I sent a third request last night. At least they did get back. I am sure something went strangely wrong. They said they would look into it.

So It would appear that you are correct! Once I switched away from the Merging driver it seems to have absolutely no problems, even running in FIR Linear Mode. with several other plugs running. I am seeing 9% DSP with the Max % going to 21. The caveat is that I cannot confirm that it is indeed passing audio. Once I switch drivers, I clearly see meters moving, but when I plug headphones into the 1/8" jack and hear nothing. I clicked around in the audio devices window and nothing seemed to activate audio.

I have not been able to get the other app that you suggested up and running yet.

I am so surprised that the Merging driver may be the culprit. I am not sure what I do now. I am fairly sure that I have the latest Merging drivers, but I will double check. I am also not sure if this means the merging driver is what I should expect to be fixed in an update?
Cameron

Last edited by roonsbane; 3rd February 2017 at 10:09 PM.. Reason: Missing something
Old 3rd February 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
So It would appear that you are correct! Once I switched away from the Merging driver it seems to have absolutely no problems, even running in FIR Linear Mode. with several other plugs running. I am seeing 9% DSP with the Max % going to 21. The caveat is that I cannot confirm that it is indeed passing audio. Once I switch drivers, I clearly see meters moving, but when I plug headphones into the 1/8" jack and hear nothing. I clicked around in the audio devices window and nothing seemed to activate audio.
It's good, you have at least some cue, what's going on.. it's first step to remedy.

Magix Low Latency ASIO driver included in latest versions of their product is simply rebranded ASIO4ALL free driver, which enables you to use any Windows soundcard.
You likely don't hear any sound from it, because headphones has to be plugged typically before launch of DAW (often it has jack autosensing and it's deactivated, when all analog outs are unloaded). Also when you open audio preferences in Sequoia and open control panel from from this Magix driver, then you can click to wrench button to open advanced options.. Your on-board card has likely several inputs and outputs (front, back.. etc), which should be visible in tree-like menu at left side of this driver.. you have to select the one, where you have your headphones plugged.

Quote:
I have not been able to get the other app that you suggested up and running yet.
Other app is just memory tester utility, which is running independently from installed operating system. So you need some small USB pen drive.. and computer will be booted from it. This way, it can test whole installed RAM and exclude other possible software issues.
Just download its free version for USB drives, extract the files and run its imageUSB installer, which will prepare bootable pen drive for you.
Maybe you won't find any issues with memory, but that's also a nice thing to know

Quote:
I am so surprised that the Merging driver may be the culprit. I am not sure what I do now. I am fairly sure that I have the latest Merging drivers, but I will double check. I am also not sure if this means the merging driver is what I should expect to be fixed in an update?
Sorry, I can't really expand more about troubleshooting of this Ravenna driver. I've seen it couple of times at orchestral studio, where Horus is being used with Pyramix. It was stable there.. but it doesn't mean, it won't have any reliability or compatibility issues. It's just piece of software..
Anyway, I believe you can ask their support.. they likely help you better then I can .

Michal
Old 4th February 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Cameron
Although I love the AD/DA and the pres on the Hapi, the ASIO driver for it is impractical IMO. When I installed it, it was obvious that it was "slowing down" my machine... Next thing was that I found out, it is NOT multiclient... still in 2017. Means you can not run several audio applications at a time.

The pre's are extremely good, but what does it help if there's no I/O mixing matrix for a foldback mix..? I emailed them 2-3 times, I got the same response every time: We're working on it.

I stopped asking them to improve the drivers, it just doesn't happen. I use a 3rd party PCIe card to connect it to my system, all the flaws are gone.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+  Submit Thread to Reddit Reddit 

Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search