The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Mastering with Plugins Dynamics Plugins
Old 28th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by gorka View Post
Generally true but it depends on the person and the experience - as always.

When I write and/or mix a song, I use a different mindset.
With the knowledge of 10 years as an ME, of course but with a very different attitude.
It´s more about intuition than control, i´d say.

When I do the masters of those songs -certainly not on the same day, a week later if possible- I work on it as if it was done by someone else.
Agreed. That's akin to stating that a photographer can't edit their own images (skill levels required to do so obviously).

Case by case basis. I, personally, do not delude myself that I can master as well as the established pros here and would hire one if necessary. Always learning though, as that's where the fun is :¬)
Old 29th January 2017
Gear Nut

I found the Acustica Tan to be pretty impressive for a free plugins. And so are the TDR Kotelnikov.
Old 22nd August 2017
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Analogue Mastering View Post
Same room
Same monitoring
Same artist bias
You will get no other results than when just finishing the mix.
I know this is an old post, and opinions differ, of course, but I would argue the opposite point for the same reasons. I've been mixing for over 20 years and the idea of giving it off to another artist, producer, or engineer is ridiculous to me, unless you genuinely need a second opinion. It's the old "black arts"/ "trust the engineering master...HE KNOWS" argument.

I think mastering is generally used for the wrong reason: to fix problems and give another set of ears a chance at making tonal adjustments to your music, rather than the traditional usage of having it be a way to best ready the material for mass duplication. If you need someone else's opinion, or you feel that your mix isn't all it could be, fine. Or if you need to get it ready for mass duplication and you don't know the specs, totally ok. Otherwise? Meh.

Mastering isn't anything any mixer can't do with some expanded knowledge; it's simply using the same types of tools to tonally shape and ready a master for duplication: that's just one step beyond the mix. People hesitate because it's just "the way it's always been done" and "the black magic of mastering", but it's only been done that way for 60 years, and now we all know the secrets (thank you, internet). It just takes practice. ME's might use better rooms, DACS and monitoring chains, but unless you're making corrective changes, a lot of it is overkill. You were gonna release that song using your pre's, converters, mics, monitors, and cables, right? What's different?

If the actual mixer and his equipment/room are worth their salt, there's no reason to add another set of ears to make tonal changes, despite being in an excellent room and having a great monitoring chain. My $0.02. Cheers.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search